Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install my egt gauge soon but i wasn't sure where exactly to install the probe for best readings .. :dontknow:

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
RSXdelerium said:
I'm going to install my egt gauge soon but i wasn't sure where exactly to install the probe for best readings .. :dontknow:
As close to the exhaust manifold as you can possibly install it. Somewhere right before the turbo is good, or maybe tap it right where the exhaust runners are collected together.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have mine right on my down pipe and it seems extremely accurate

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
what EGT did you get and how does the probe get installed? The one's I've seen are weld-in probes.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
autometer cobalt .. you can screw it in or clamp it down. i was readin through the instructions that came with it (decent) and it just says to install it a couple inches from cylinder head but i dont want to remove the whole manifold .. so do it 2 inches after turbo exhaust outlet (but it could drop over 200 degrees if installed after the turbo) .. so thats my real question .. is it alright to just install it on the downpipe .. :confused:

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
RSXdelerium said:
autometer cobalt .. you can screw it in or clamp it down. i was readin through the instructions that came with it (decent) and it just says to install it a couple inches from cylinder head but i dont want to remove the whole manifold .. so do it 2 inches after turbo exhaust outlet (but it could drop over 200 degrees if installed after the turbo) .. so thats my real question .. is it alright to just install it on the downpipe .. :confused:
You might be able to install it somewhere down stream, but you really want to have it as close to the source as possible to get a really acurate reading. I really think somewhere on the manifold, before the turbocharger, would be a good place for the probe.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Do you have a pic of the probe?? Which model # did you get?? The ones I've seen from Autometer are weld-in, the clamp on looked to big to fit in out tubeing.

·
Bitch where's my Money!
844 Posts
depends on how far you want to take it. the most ideal setup is to run a sensor on each runner of the exhaust manifold.....cause then you can see exactly what cylinder is running lean and can tune each for maximum power

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright .. so where EXACTLY are your guys' probes at then? .. cause to come from under i have to take to downpipe off which sucks but i will do it, and to come on the top there isn't enough room from the head only about an inch max so i don't want to get it too close .. anybody have any pics or can explain to me? sorry for bein so noob at this i'm just tryin to get it right :(

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Biga27110 said:
ya it has to be about 3 inchs after the exhuast manifold like 3 inchs down the runner from the block
alright .. would it also be ok to put it off the first runner or does it need to be where they all come together?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
do you have a pic of the probe that came with your gauge?? I've seen the ones online, but they are universal pics, not part specific

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
see the probe just goes through the screw fitting that goes into the manifold, and theres a little set screw in it to hold the probe in place .. its not a weld on like you guys are talking about. it's kinda weird, also the whole thing just plugs into the gauge so its really simple. i think i'm just gonna take the downpipe off tomorrow and put it underneath .. makes it easier to do my motor mounts anyway :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
DO you have to drill a hole in the manifold? Im pretty sure that if you do have to drill a hole, your gonna wanna take the manifold off to install the probe so you can clean the shavings out.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
our manifold is only 1 3/4" across, how does that thing fit in there?? That doesn't even look like it would fit a 3" pipe.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the fitting is up too high .. you can see where you are supposed to stop putting it in .. its actually only about 1" long if that

1 - 20 of 24 Posts