Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was having some idling issues with my car. when it was fully warmed up, if I revved it a bit to 3 or 4k rpm, instead of the revs dropping to around 750 they would dip down to around 500 and the engine would stumble a bit then the revs would bounce back up. I thought that maybe it was due to some dirty sensor or a computer issue.

I took it to the dealer and they informed me that engine code P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage was showing up (no CEL lit up). They said they ran a series of tests which led to the conclusion that the ELD unit was failing intermittently and needed to be changed.

I did some more digging into it and looked at a Helms manual. Looks like the ELD unit is integrated with the fuse box, and resulting in the replacement parts cost being $$'s. Unfortunately, my bumper-to-bumper warranty ran out May of last year. Anyone else have a similar issue? What did you do about it? Any advice? Thanks.

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
I replied to you on TOV.

First your problem sounds IAC valve related.

Second, I looked it up and the ELD unit APPEARS to be a removeable component located on the underside of the underhood fuse box. It kinda sounds like the dealer may not know wtf they are talking about, especially since you didn't have a CEL when you went in there.

I smell a rat...

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replied to you on TOV.

First your problem sounds IAC valve related.

Second, I looked it up and the ELD unit APPEARS to be a removeable component located on the underside of the underhood fuse box. It kinda sounds like the dealer may not know wtf they are talking about, especially since you didn't have a CEL when you went in there.

I smell a rat...
Thanks! I also posted on TOV that I checked around for the ELD. It doesn't have its own part number. Only the fuse box does. Based on this it appears that the entire fusebox assembly would have to be purchased. :(

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
Thanks! I also posted on TOV that I checked around for the ELD. It doesn't have its own part number. Only the fuse box does. Based on this it appears that the entire fusebox assembly would have to be purchased. :(
I wouldn't jump the gun just yet. I'd go pick up the car now and mention to the Service Manager that the CEL was not on at any time prior to when you dropped off the car.

Are there any other dealers you could bring the car to?

In the event that you actually do need the fuse panel, I'd hit up the wreckers for one. It should be considerably cheaper than new and will likely work fine.

I just looked it up too, its listed here at just under $140:
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org...&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

Definitely not the end of the world, but I remain suspicious that you actually need that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
hey thanks. It looks like the USDM and CDM fuse boxes have different part numbers. Does that make sense? I would have figured that the part was the same in both countries.

I called a dealer in Saskatchewan since my local parts department was slow to call back. They quoted me something like $380 for the fuse box. Checking some of the local wreckers is a good idea.

I will discuss the matter with the service manager next week for sure. If things are still weird, I guess I could always go to a Honda dealer to confirm the code.

edit:
I started reading through my warranty book tonight. Under the Five Year/100,000 km major component warranty, under the 'Electrical' section a "voltage regulator/rectifier" is covered. Sounds like the ELD to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.