Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
above status quo
2,399 Posts
Thanks again for all the help EVERYONE who tossed me information and prints. Alot of people involved in holding my hand :D

Going to post a bunch of pics through this project later tonight, here is my almost finished engine bay shots showing the running of 2 power cables (1 of which existed before from my amplifier in the trunk) as well as the EPS servo motor harness to BCU.

·
glory to the hypnotoad
6,295 Posts
When we first started this on Sat our goal was to determine whether or not the 06 guage cluster ran off a low or high frequency signal and it was found that it runs off a low frequency signal. I was shocked that hondata did not know this or just chose to not disclose this information for whatever reason which is perfectly fine. Either way a few tests and we had the frequency identified. Once we had the speedo in the dash working correctly we knew the rack would work as well which was the case.
http://hondata.com/techk20transmissions.html

High frequency type transmission

* Found in the 05-06 RSX, TSX and 06-07 Civic Si.
* Signal from the speed sensor is at a high frequency.
* Speed sensor is at the front of the transmission, from the teeth on 3rd gear.
* The signal from the speed sensor goes only to the ECU. The ECU sends a low frequency signal to the gauge cluster.
Just gotta know where to look :thumbsup:

2,542 Posts
"The one item we did not explore is if kpro does send a low frequency signal to the speedo why wouldnt the rack work without the hybrid device. The answer is I think it would but there is a catch. I do not think I would want to run this rack with the kpro signal because if you are a 05-06 rsx owner we all get the crazy drop in speedo readings from kpro. With this in mind I would hate to be driving down the road and all of a sudden have power being given to the rack because the vss signal fluctuates. Doesnt sound safe to me."

sorry I got kinda lost but did you fix this problem with Dakota Digital?

·
Been there & gone back
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
"The one item we did not explore is if kpro does send a low frequency signal to the speedo why wouldnt the rack work without the hybrid device. The answer is I think it would but there is a catch. I do not think I would want to run this rack with the kpro signal because if you are a 05-06 rsx owner we all get the crazy drop in speedo readings from kpro. With this in mind I would hate to be driving down the road and all of a sudden have power being given to the rack because the vss signal fluctuates. Doesnt sound safe to me."

sorry I got kinda lost but did you fix this problem with Dakota Digital?
Both the Hybrid device and Dakota Digital fix this issue yes

·
glory to the hypnotoad
6,295 Posts
So.... since the 05+ tranny spits out high freq, and the ecu spits out low freq to the cluster as a matter of OE operation... why can't one just run the ecu low freq output that would go to the cluster back to the eps? Am I missing something? It seems to me that you have both a low and high freq signal available without any magics just by virtue of the hondata 05+ kpro solution.

·
The GREG
5,001 Posts
So.... since the 05+ tranny spits out high freq, and the ecu spits out low freq to the cluster as a matter of OE operation... why can't one just run the ecu low freq output that would go to the cluster back to the eps? Am I missing something? It seems to me that you have both a low and high freq signal available without any magics just by virtue of the hondata 05+ kpro solution.
The low signal out flucuates from the ECU. Could cause a potential hazard connecting it to steering components.

·
Been there & gone back
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
http://hondata.com/techk20transmissions.html

Just gotta know where to look :thumbsup:
I actually read that exact piece from them several times. My final comments came from this comment (see below quote) made by Hondata on my thread I posted there. Not sure why I got the response I did but it added some doubt to things until we actually got to try it out and prove it worked.

"This is something which you would have to try to determine if it will work - we can't support modified chassis harnesses and 3rd party products. You would have to re-wire the chassis harness to take control of the signal from the ECU to dash. The 05-06 signal from the ECU to dash is similar to the 02-04, but may not be exactly the same. If the 02-04 and 05-06 clusters are interchangable and show the same speed when switched between the same vehicle then that will tell you the if they are the same. It may or may not help the cruise control stability - again, testing this would be the only way to find out."

Here is a link to the full thread.

http://hondata.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9050

·
Been there & gone back
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The signal from the ecu fluctuates on the 05 - 06 models which causes the speedo to drop from lets say 65mph all the way to 25mph then back up to 65mph. I would hate to be going through a turn at 65 and this happen and the rack gets power in the middle of my turn.

Your question is very valid and one we discussed but in the end we went with the Hybrid and Dakota units for one the above safety reason and two because Hondata said the vss signal going to the dash on the 05-06 may be different then the one going to the 02-04 dash. So either way the hybrid or dakota resolves these issues for us.

Hope that explains our reasoning.

·
glory to the hypnotoad
6,295 Posts
The signal from the ecu fluctuates on the 05 - 06 models which causes the speedo to drop from lets say 65mph all the way to 25mph then back up to 65mph. I would hate to be going through a turn at 65 and this happen and the rack gets power in the middle of my turn.

Your question is very valid and one we discussed but in the end we went with the Hybrid and Dakota units for one the above safety reason and two because Hondata said the vss signal going to the dash on the 05-06 may be different then the one going to the 02-04 dash. So either way the hybrid or dakota resolves these issues for us.

Hope that explains our reasoning.
Sounds like sound reasoning to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
well i meant like i didnt wanna run the power wire all the way to the vss connector by the tranny lol. i was asking like if i could run the power wire from IG1 to vss for power by the dash before kpro instead of all the way to the tranmission. I'm gonna go do it now neway, hopefully my eps motor is still good haha.
what is the purpose of the power wire to the vss sensor itself? wouldnt it get power from the wire harness? can i get some more info on that?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts