Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a complete car wash/wax guide? I've never hand-washed a vehicle in my life, so I have no idea what to get. I went to a local store today and they have Meguiar's, Mothers, and some other top brands, does anyone like Frosty have a guide for beginners?

eg; pre-soak with hose, then sheepskin wash using meguilar's soap, then terry cloth towel dry, etc?

I'm trying to make myself a list of the proper order to do things in and have done lots of searches with lots of different opinions & want to make sure I do it right.

Thx!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
i use plain old mothers car wash.

i suggest you stay away of those stupid "wax + car wash" crap.
its puts a coating of film on the window that is a bitch in the rain.

i just use a plain medium size sponge.
and dry with a shammy.

nothing special.
just don't drop the shammy on the ground. pick it up like nothing happened and keep drying.

same goes for the sponge.

as for wax. i use meguires 3step system (for the first wax i did).

after that i just used the wax part (no.3)

if your car is starting to get some swirl marks. i suggest using a clay bar. but i don't think you'll need to do that kuz your car is new.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Homer enters room waving hand wildly !!!!

me , me , me me

email me at [email protected]

I have done a 6 page guide - it does involve zaino - but there is also lots of non-zaino info for first timers on the basics , supplies, suggested towels, methods.
u can insert your own choice of polish products - but if you want it - ill send it - no obligation . .

Dennis

·
Check Neg Crew Lives On..
9,456 Posts
Follow Homer's Guide,
It is excellent in taking you step by step through the process. Thanks again Homer:thumbsup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frosty, mock now, but that's a hell of an idea! :)

And much thanks to Homer for his guide he e-mailed me,
I haven't had time to look through it yet but I will hopefully tomorrow.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get shoe scuff marks off of my OEM body kit? On both sides now there is a bit of black marking from the rubber on shoe heels from people getting in and out of my car...

thx!

·
Premium Member
20,800 Posts
AlmostRSXy said:
Frosty, mock now, but that's a hell of an idea! :)

And much thanks to Homer for his guide he e-mailed me,
I haven't had time to look through it yet but I will hopefully tomorrow.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get shoe scuff marks off of my OEM body kit? On both sides now there is a bit of black marking from the rubber on shoe heels from people getting in and out of my car...

thx!
I'm serious. I think we should make it a sticky post.
Wash Guide
Wax & Polish Guide
I think it would be good.

And on your shoe scuffs; a cleaner like Simple Green or Meguiar's Extra should do the trick. Just follow the directions on the bottle.

·
9,456 Posts
FrostyBC said:
And on your shoe scuffs; a cleaner like Simple Green or Meguiar's Extra should do the trick. Just follow the directions on the bottle.
Forsty or Homer....
What do you think of Simple Green? I bought it because a friend recommended it, he uses it on his wheels. Is this a good idea? What else can you use it for? Thanks:spin:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I use simple green automotive formula ( I have no idea what the differences are between their formulas) in my engine bay.

i dont bother with it on my tires or rims though . . .

i dont think it is going to cause any kind of harm . . it is bio-degradable after all . . . just dont let it dry - do one tire at a time - then rinse

if you are going to use a brush to scrub them - be sure its a soft bristled one . . . (for the rims that is)

wax the rims also - makes it easier to clean (a bit)
although traditional waxes have a heard time holding up to the heat generated there . . . .

·
9,456 Posts
Homer2 said:
I use simple green automotive formula ( I have no idea what the differences are between their formulas) in my engine bay.
Homer this might be a newbie question but you just spray it on your engine? Or just around the parts on the metal? I'm guessing you hose it down afterwards?

·
Registered
74 Posts
if you just wipe down your engine bay when you wash your car, you should really have no use for degreasers...yeah what I do is I put some water in a spray bottle, spray some castrol superclean (or simple green, or any degreaser really) and "wash" it away gentley with my water bottle. Dont spray your alternator or any other "common sence" parts you dont want wet.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
yup -redline has it right - unless you have a barnyard in your engine bay - no real need to hose it out.

spray bottle mixed with a cleaner - and maybe a second one with just water to clean up. spot cleaning is better overall -

but if you are going whole hog in there - you wet it down (carefully) - spray and let it sit a minutes or few - then carefully hose it out.

then , since you still want to wipe it down to avoid water drying spots - you are right back to redlines suggestion . . .

then wax the exposed metal areas -

1 - 12 of 12 Posts