Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Mike
39 Posts
I remember doing this on my 03, pretty much exactly how this DIY goes, really easy. Then just recently I've done it to a 05 and the control arm bushings are different. One can be pushed out easily with the nut and threaded rod, but the other is actually sleeved with a lip like the front arm bushing. I ended up having to carefully cut the sleeve after burning off the rubber because there is just no way the nut and rod method would budge that metal sleeve. Overall, it's a pita. For those who wants to do this, beware that 05-06 have this sleeved bushing and you must take extra steps to remove it.

·
SAXJONZ
314 Posts
I remember doing this on my 03, pretty much exactly how this DIY goes, really easy. Then just recently I've done it to a 05 and the control arm bushings are different. One can be pushed out easily with the nut and threaded rod, but the other is actually sleeved with a lip like the front arm bushing. I ended up having to carefully cut the sleeve after burning off the rubber because there is just no way the nut and rod method would budge that metal sleeve. Overall, it's a pita. For those who wants to do this, beware that 05-06 have this sleeved bushing and you must take extra steps to remove it.
Yeah, I got the sleeves out by burning the shit out of the rubber, I just got stuck with that seized toe bolt. I will need to buy another rear control arm...maybe even on both sides if I can't get the other one off but yeah.

·
typespilot
449 Posts
I remember doing this in 2015. I spent quite a few a lot of hours trying to remove those bushings. I would not have been able to complete the task without a workbench, vise, shop press, and patience. I went through a couple threaded rods. The first one was from home depot. These are cheap and use soft metal. The second one I purchased a hardened steel one from McMaster Carr online. I used, PB blaster, MAP torch, sockets, washers, nuts, and parts from a bearing press kit along with my vise, and press.

If replacing the bushings was the only thing I was trying to accomplish, I would have just purchased new OEM spindles and trailing arms and called it a day. The reason was because of the time invested. I used a lot of free time doing this. I wanted to see if I could remove, replace, and improve what I had. I purchased OEM and Hardrace bushings and can't be any happier.

Thanks to Ohio's weather, my RSX was exposed to road salt and extreme temperature changes. This is the crap I was looking at. Removing these parts turned into a living nightmare. Almost every bolt was seized and required a lot of finesse and patience. I got a workout in using my breaker bar. I even broke the head off a seized bolt. Here is what I was working with. I was so disgusted that I didn't take any pictures. I wish I had more to look back on....

IMG_4491 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

I did not have a second vehicle at the time, so I purchased the trailing arms and spindles on eBay. I looked for the least oxidized parts I could find. I still spent a lot of time removing everything because I was not 100 percent sure of my technique. The shop press will be utilized for two out of the three bushings the next time around. Only one does not have a metal sleeve and can be removed easily. The other two require a lot of force and can be removed quickly with the press.

IMG_3509 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

I was so caught up in removing the bushings that I forgot to take more photos.
The goal was to remove, strip oxidation, and powder coat.

IMG_3630 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_3755 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

Once back from powder coat, the hard work started to show

IMG_3958 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4437 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

06 DC5 suspension upgrade by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

HardRace rear trailing arm bushings are different from the OEM setup. The HardRace ones are very nice, but like everything it took a little finessing to press them in.

IMG_4518 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4597 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

I now have the task to do this process all over again. I acquired another set of knuckles, spindles, along with my original OEM parts I removed from the car. The extra set came from a Brembo conversion I purchased last fall from Steve at HMotors online.

My wife's 05 RSX-S recently hit 150k miles, so I am think it might get ahead of the game and have everything ready for when I need to replace her worn suspension components.

I have a lot of work ahead of me but I think it should go a lot easier the second time around..........

DC5 TypeS/R oxidized parts by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Wow, thanks for taking the time. My 02 made a couple impossible. The toe bolt was easy, but the other wouldn't budge. I was sick of sawzalling the suspension so I left it for now.

·
SAXJONZ
314 Posts
Datum! I just finished mine, almost, a week or so ago. Now I need to find rear trailing arms. Everything so far was almost easy except for the small bushing with metal lip on it. Used a big press to start but could not finish with it. Broke an old vice ? Then finally got a small press to finish the job. Just gotta get trailing arms now to finish. What a cunty operation that was. Hopefully they reall improve the ride although I must be honest, not a lot of rubber on some of this bushings makes me think I sacrificed the arms for naught. I'll post back to comment but like everyone else I replaced EVERYTHING so I'll never truly know the exact degree they made a difference. I can say for certain the rear and front larger bushings will make the most difference of all. Would me much cheaper as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is a dope write up! I am about to be doing the rear on my 05. Every bushing is already off though. ( not by me pulling them out though 😂) luckily i have a spare set of 02-04 that I’ve been messing with and figured out the tricks of getting them apart. BUT so far in my car. Everything has been a bitch so i can’t wait! Lol one thing i didn’t see though, also my kit came with no instructions, which bushing is the top knuckle bushing that connects the camber arm? Is it the odd looking one there’s only 2 of? Did you guys have to press it out? I bought new everything for the whole suspension. Just finished the front up. The control arms were a bitch. Lol #ressurected

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,203 Posts
If you can find out @mineret301 did it, you should have great success. Some kind of allthread and nuts he turned and turned and pushed it out with a socket. You can see part of it in his 2nd pic above. I can't seem to be able to search threads someone created on here anymore... otherwise I'd link you, because he made a DIY

41 - 49 of 49 Posts