Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
0D027A18-E939-4982-B0A6-1441D3BA9B91.jpeg

First tranny drop and clutch job on a k20z1, been trying to get the engine and tranny to mate and they just won’t slide in together, suggestions?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Maybe time to back off and try again. Make sure you didn't shift the friction plate and re try the alignment tool. If it's all good, you may be right on the pilot and you need to come in straight. I eyeball all sides to see if it's all equal so I know it's coming in straight. Hardest part of the job and if you think everything is lined up and good, you can give it a little more persuasion. Its hard to tell, but it looks a bit crooked like the back of the trans needs lifting. The weight can pull the friction down a bit and then it won't go in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe time to back off and try again. Make sure you didn't shift the friction plate and re try the alignment tool. If it's all good, you may be right on the pilot and you need to come in straight. I eyeball all sides to see if it's all equal so I know it's coming in straight. Hardest part of the job and if you think everything is lined up and good, you can give it a little more persuasion. Its hard to tell, but it looks a bit crooked like the back of the trans needs lifting. The weight can pull the friction down a bit and then it won't go in.
I was able to get everything back on and in with a little more work, now I’m just struggling to align and get the subframe back in haha

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I just did my NSX and you lay on your back for everything which is better than on my knees on the RSX. I had to redo as I shifted the plate and the pilot wouldn't go in. The tranny is a bit heavier and I had to go from top to bottom as I kept hitting things and coming in straight wasn't as easy. They charge up to 5k for an NSX clutch job and a couple of things was easier than the RSX. Time consuming as so many things need to come off. I found a few short cuts but took my time. Learned that the RSX pilot is bigger, so I had to way a few days for an alignment tool. Seems a lot of overkill on the NSX as it only makes 270hp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just did my NSX and you lay on your back for everything which is better than on my knees on the RSX. I had to redo as I shifted the plate and the pilot wouldn't go in. The tranny is a bit heavier and I had to go from top to bottom as I kept hitting things and coming in straight wasn't as easy. They charge up to 5k for an NSX clutch job and a couple of things was easier than the RSX. Time consuming as so many things need to come off. I found a few short cuts but took my time. Learned that the RSX pilot is bigger, so I had to way a few days for an alignment tool. Seems a lot of overkill on the NSX as it only makes 270hp.
I bet that wasn’t the best time. I love the NSX though. What year is yours ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts