Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have no idea where this goes.... Hope it's in the right section.

Anyway, I have a lil hood gap and I would like to replace either the T-bar or the entire radiator support (don't ask, that's just what I'd like to do).

My question is, what color is my engine bay? The parts I've found are JDM Champ White. My car is PWP BUT its not 'pearl' white in the engine bay, its dull (maybe champ???)

So how do I know if these things will color match or at least match enough to where it's not 100% obvious...?

Thanks in advance for any ideas at all... and mods, if you feel the need, you can move this.

:thumbsup:

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
The engine bay (and other typically concealed areas) is usually the exterior color minus the clearcoat.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine bay (and other typically concealed areas) is usually the exterior color minus the clearcoat.
so is the pearl finish of the PWP actually in the clearcoat? cause I can definately see that there is no pearl finish in the engine bay of my car... its just a white... :dontknow:

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
In the case of the pearl you are probably right. It makes no sense to lay that down anywhere but where you will see it. Sorry I don't really have a good answer for you.

What I would suggest is finding a local autobody paint supplier. They should have an optical reader and be able to put a pretty darn close match into a spray can for you.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the case of the pearl you are probably right. It makes no sense to lay that down anywhere but where you will see it. Sorry I don't really have a good answer for you.

What I would suggest is finding a local autobody paint supplier. They should have an optical reader and be able to put a pretty darn close match into a spray can for you.
Thats good advice... I didn't think about that.... not sure how much I want to be spraypainting parts of my car but I suppose something under the hood wouldnt matter too much... I'm not trying to win any awards (but I do like to have a clean engine bay :thumbsup: )

I'm also trying to cut costs here... well... get a good balance of cost and quality... it was either buy one of these things or let a body shop work their magic. I was just exploring replacing the whole rad. support as an option. I don't even know if its a bolt-on thing... :dontknow:

Anyway, thanks a lot VTEC_inside

If anyone else has any opinions/suggestions, I'm open!

·
I just paint...Well
508 Posts
Hey, I have to start by saying that the rad support is a huge deal to switch. There is nothing bolt on about it. There are spot welds holding it on and you need to strip everything in front of the motor. It has to be re-welded and x'd out then you need to self etch and paint the enitre rad support. The paint under the hood is NEVER the exterior color without the clear. It is an UNDERHOOD color or your exterior with a matte "cut-in" clearcoat. Unless it is damaged or has been replaced before, i would stay away. I do this for a living. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts