Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a k20a3 sitting on the floor of my garage. Its out of an 05 civic si with about 5K miles on it. I also have a dead a2. The previous owner claim it died from not changing the oil, but I think it died from hydrolock. The head looks salvagable, but might need new valves. The block looks like it sat too long and it's locked.

I was wondering if this is possible and a good idea, and what would it cost;
Could an engine builder take that a3 engine and sleave it, add high compression forged pistons, and the oil cooler, oil squirters, oil pan, etc, from the a2. Then take that head and put some aftermarket valves and cams in, and build me a good n/a engine.

This engine would mount to the z1 tranny I have now with Qualife LSD and be run by k-pro. Both of which I have now.

What would this all cost me approx? What kinda power could I expect?

-Logan

·
Registered
300 Posts
It can be done but it will need custom rods because the bearing with on a k20a/2 and a k20a3 is different. So if you stuck with the k20a3 bottom end and got custom rods, block tapped for oil squirts you could definitely do it.

There is a shop that did my full K24 build and they do have a short block program that they do for k20's and k24's.

Call 248 477 0700 and ask for Jeff.

Shop name is Tuning Factory Inc and they do a ton of K-Series.

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
you can convert a k20a3 to a k20a2. I had a complete list of parts somewhere, but in general here's the parts list:

- crank/rods
- oil pump
- oil squirters
- water pump/housing
- oil pan
- oil cooler

And viola, k20a3 becomes effectively a k20a2 block.

Basically, the castings are the same, and everything else can be easily changed over.

Check to see if the crank from the k20a2 is salvageable. if it is, then go for it. If not, probably easier to find a k20a2 shortblock.

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
Sigjr3667 said:
It can be done but it will need custom rods because the bearing with on a k20a/2 and a k20a3 is different. So if you stuck with the k20a3 bottom end and got custom rods, block tapped for oil squirts you could definitely do it.

There is a shop that did my full K24 build and they do have a short block program that they do for k20's and k24's.

Call 248 477 0700 and ask for Jeff.

Shop name is Tuning Factory Inc and they do a ton of K-Series.
This wouldn't be necessary if he uses the K20A2 crank, which he should.

The work is fairly straightforward in that case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts