1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Van City Love
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting these two codes:

P1163 Air/Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor (Sensor 1) Slow Response
P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold

What are the significance of having these codes? Is it a difficult/expensive fix? I've had it on for a few months now.

·
Van City Love
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, could it be my mod list causing it? (check sig for mods). I've noticed that I've been getting horrible gas mileage, about 40~60miles less per tank than usual. Should I be worried driving in this condition until I get it fixed? I still have factory warranty.

·
I don't know you
16,615 Posts
yes, you DO NOT want to drive around in that condition. your primary o2 sensor is fucked, hence your shitty gas mileage. the p0420 code is due to the lack of a cat. that is not affecting your performance in ANY way

·
Van City Love
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, you DO NOT want to drive around in that condition. your primary o2 sensor is fucked, hence your shitty gas mileage. the p0420 code is due to the lack of a cat. that is not affecting your performance in ANY way
I do have a cat on right now. (had it off for a few months with test pipe but i put my cat back on). Could it be my aftermarket exhaust/shorty header causing this? and if I understand this right, the real problem here is the 1163 code? -which is also caused by the o2 sensor?

i think someone local is selling a O2 sensor

did u plug the primary and secdandy O2 sensor wrong?
My mechanic did all the work on my piping. hmm...

·
www.magtuning.com
15,007 Posts
Your primary o2 Sensor is starting to crap out

since you have a catalytic converter, that is starting to crap out too

Get rid of your Strup shorty, the megan test pipe, and get a race header, a defouler, and a new primary o2 sensor

No damage will be done by driving without an primary o2 sensor, your car will just run shitty with worse gas milage, no harm done

EDIT: and for the love of god, get rid of the AEM SRI, get Injen CAI or something

You have "ALL" the wrong mods for performance lol

G

·
Yes ^^^. Just coincidence, perhaps, that both are dying at the same time but that's what's happening. Nothing detrimental will happen to your car once they go, per se, but your low-speed drivability and gas mileage will be miserable. Just replace them now and be done with it. Don't porget to purchase a dedicated 02 sensor socket for the job. Good luck.

·
Van City Love
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your primary o2 Sensor is starting to crap out

since you have a catalytic converter, that is starting to crap out too

Get rid of your Strup shorty, the megan test pipe, and get a race header, a defouler, and a new primary o2 sensor

No damage will be done by driving without an primary o2 sensor, your car will just run shitty with worse gas milage, no harm done

EDIT: and for the love of god, get rid of the AEM SRI, get Injen CAI or something

You have "ALL" the wrong mods for performance lol
Right now the only mods I have on are the exhaust and shorty header. I have the cat and also the stock air box back on. How do you think the shorty header is causing this problem? Instead of going race header/defouler, could i put my stock header back on and fix this problem? will i still have to get a new o2 sensor?

·
www.magtuning.com
15,007 Posts
Right now the only mods I have on are the exhaust and shorty header. I have the cat and also the stock air box back on. How do you think the shorty header is causing this problem? Instead of going race header/defouler, could i put my stock header back on and fix this problem? will i still have to get a new o2 sensor?
I said to get rid of the shorty header, and get a race header, that way you wont be able to use a CAT, which eliminates your cat below threshold CEL code

then you buy a new primary o2 and that CEL goes away

·
Van City Love
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You said the cat is starting to crap out too. Does that mean if i replace my O2 sensor, i will still get an engine check light cause of the crapped out cat? I've gotten my engine check light AFTER i got the test pipe installed. and it's still there after i replaced it with my original cat again (even when re-setting ECU). Would another way be getting BOTH stock O2 sensor and Cat?

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
If your cat is on its way out..then yes you will throw a code for Cat efficiency...

you have a few options

Replace the Cat...(expensive)

by a defouler (see search, it tricks the secondary o2 into thinking the cat is their and working too efficiency)

finally, deal with the CEL

Make sure you replace your Primary o2 sensor..

it can be bought at www.sparkplugs.com ....or www.oxygensensors.com

2 places i found that were the cheapest....

Its important you atleast change your primary o2 sensor, cuz that adjust the fuel in your car and its a crucial element to savign the life and driveability of your car

·
Van City Love
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If your cat is on its way out..then yes you will throw a code for Cat efficiency...

you have a few options

Replace the Cat...(expensive)

by a defouler (see search, it tricks the secondary o2 into thinking the cat is their and working too efficiency)

finally, deal with the CEL

Make sure you replace your Primary o2 sensor..

it can be bought at www.sparkplugs.com ....or www.oxygensensors.com

2 places i found that were the cheapest....

Its important you atleast change your primary o2 sensor, cuz that adjust the fuel in your car and its a crucial element to savign the life and driveability of your car

Some people are telling me it's totally fine to run o2 sensor-less. Some are saying it's crucial for car's life. Who's right?

Only mods I have right now: Shorty header/Exhaust.

Is this what you mean? -> Things I need to get are Primary o2 sensor and cat.
Or if I can't replace my cat I can get a defouler and primary o2 sensor. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, are the sensors different for type-s? automatic? base 5 speed? (I have an auto rsx)

·
Van City Love
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^isn't that just a defouler for when u have a race header or test pipe that DOESN'T have a cat? I have my cat on though, so I'm not sure how it'll entirely fix the problem.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,087 Posts
Some people are telling me it's totally fine to run o2 sensor-less. Some are saying it's crucial for car's life. Who's right?

Only mods I have right now: Shorty header/Exhaust.

Is this what you mean? -> Things I need to get are Primary o2 sensor and cat.
Or if I can't replace my cat I can get a defouler and primary o2 sensor. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, are the sensors different for type-s? automatic? base 5 speed? (I have an auto rsx)
U must have a fully functioning Primary o2 sensor. It dictates our A/F and is crucial for the car to run correctly.

I recommend u go OEM when it comes to the primary sensor. U don't wanna mess around with that.

As for your other check engine light your options have been given to u by the other members here.

Put test pipe back on and defouler or put RH on and defouler

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.