Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what I can use to clean the inside and outside of my valve cover. I had to get one from a junk yard and there is old residue on it, bugs, etc.. My stock one had cracked and leaked oil.

I also want to clean my head since its bare right now.

Just curious on what products to use, procedures, etc...

Thank you!

·
Registered
331 Posts
It is rusted or just dirty...if it is just dirty...then you can use any degreaser to get that out. Then you can let it dry and if need...polish and paint. If you want suggestions...Simple Green, that orange degreaser, or things like that. If it has rust on it....you man need to get a drimmel tool or something and make sure your surface area is evenly re-surfaced. *You may want to be careful with the re-surfacing thing* When you get to redoing internal surfaces...you run into issues of thickness, compression, heat tolerances, and stress fractures in the metal materials. I hope that helps...

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not rusted.. its just old oil build up and a bunch of crap :) i figure since i'm rebuilding my motor I get everything cleaned out. I'm taking my head to a shop to get a 3 or 5 angle valve job, ported and plished, and leveled. I figure I can save money by cleaning the parts myself. The block is probably going to be bored 20 over or re-sleeved..not sure yet.. but i'm going to clean that out also. Its going to be one high-boosting motor when completed :) around 450-500whp

Crower Stage 2 Cams, Valves, Pistons, and Rods w/ DSM Link for tuning :)

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm actually going to be working on a website with step by step installs and summary. Its going to be interesting once finished. I'll post it up as soon as I figure out what domain name to purchase that relates to my car, etc... any ideas?

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
oh my bad..but still, why would he want to clean the head? i bet you'd eventually shine your connecting rods and polish the inside of your gas tank.

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
HondaIntegraTypeS said:
oh my bad..but still, why would he want to clean the head? i bet you'd eventually shine your connecting rods and polish the inside of your gas tank.
the head came from a junk yard too... i'm going to be doing a valve job and porting/polishing it for increased air flow.

For those that don't know, i'm doing a 6bolt swap (I own an Eclipse GSX as stated in my profile). I'm getting some parts from the junkyard and instead of paying someone to hot tank it and stuff, I want to clean it myself. The valve angle and porting and polishing is going to run me 400.00 - i don't need to spend another 75 cleaning the head!

The reason why i post on here a lot is b/c i used to own a RSX-S and find this is the best board for posting questions. The DSM guys are mostly kids and reply back with flames or stupid posts.. Its hard to come across a true DSM Enthusiasts.. if there are any, they mostly stay in the expereinced threads were people like me don't post "how to clean a valve cover"..lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts