Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Type-Ssslow
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is about 28k now n after a run at a track, engine started to sound like a subaru boxer engine. it sounds louder on the passenger side like the pistons hitting harder? especially wen your parked next to a car or pass by one and u rev between 2-3k. is the engine still in good health?

·
Type-Ssslow
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how long did you run it? duration? distance? did you go redline? mis-shifted?
i ran it once miss shifted n was on the limiter for a second then popped it into neutral. i drove it back home n the engine was still pulling nothin changed other than the noise. it tends to get louder and the sound seems to b coming from right front part of the car. im pretty sure its not the tranny i was thinkin maybe exhaust leak or timing belt? but dnt k20s use chains? could it b internal?

·
jolly of the midwest
1,093 Posts
ive noticed a strange sound coming from under the front at about 2300-2400 rpms. its like the engine just changes sounds in between those 200 rpms, kind of like your problem. yesterday i drove around in my neighborhood and it was more pronounced driving by parked cars. i hope mine is just exhaust related, but i dont know yet.

is the sound really loud or just moderate?

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
FWIW, any noise will be easier to hear parked next to another car or wall because the sound bounces back.

Walls are a great tool for tracking down odd sounds.

·
Type-Ssslow
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FWIW, any noise will be easier to hear parked next to another car or wall because the sound bounces back.

Walls are a great tool for tracking down odd sounds.
i got a compression test 180psi on all four. i dnt know what else to check from here anyone got any suggestions? Wats the signs if you have an exhaust leak? does it affect acceleration? rpms?

·
Never shit a shitter
4,428 Posts
An exhaust leak will have a hissing sound. Put your foot over the exhaust in the back, and have someone rev, almost similar to that. Unless its a pronounced noise, I'd say you're just worrying about nothing...unless of course you misshifted the piss out of it, and nailing limiter isn't going to cause you to have catastrophic failure, unless you sit off of it all day.

·
Type-Ssslow
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Checked the exhaust and no leaks.. did a valve adjustment the noise sounds much lower but its still there. i followed the diy valve adjustment from temple of vtec. is there any other possible causes of the noise?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.