Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced all the rod bearings just as the service manual said to and the same bearing spun again after about 300 miles. So i would guess the crank needs to be machined and I'm not sure it would be worth it to go through a 260k mile engine instead of just buying one. So all that said where is a reputable place/website to buy an engine? It seems that it would be about the same price for either option so i would like to make sure I'm getting a good engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Vivid Blue Pearl RSX Type-S/1995 Delsol VTEC
30 Posts
I've never bought a engine before but I've heard good things about HMO (Honda Motors Online). What I've heard or read is the prices are a little bit higher but your getting very clean, low mileage, complete ready to drop in swaps with nothing cut or broken, all sensors still in tact, wire harness, ECU, axles, shift linkage, etc will all be there if it's stated in the ad.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never bought a engine before but I've heard good things about HMO (Honda Motors Online). What I've heard or read is the prices are a little bit higher but your getting very clean, low mileage, complete ready to drop in swaps with nothing cut or broken, all sensors still in tact, wire harness, ECU, axles, shift linkage, etc will all be there if it's stated in the ad.
thank you. i will look into them. im a little worried about buying a random engine. I really don't want to ever have to pull it apart a 3rd time.

·
Registered
806 Posts
i've been looking at them on ebay but seems a little sketchy.
Why? Get a VIN for the engine you're looking at as well as a compression test. I bought my replacement motor a couple months ago from a seller on ebay and did my due diligence. No problems and it runs well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why? Get a VIN for the engine you're looking at as well as a compression test. I bought my replacement motor a couple months ago from a seller on ebay and did my due diligence. No problems and it runs well.
so it's still going well? really i am just worried about getting an abused or neglected engine that's not going to last. anything else you recommend beside the compression test?

·
Registered
806 Posts
My motor has been running well since I got it last month. I did a few flushes with fresh oil and detergents as well as some fuel cleaner for the valves and injectors.

Maybe ask for a video of it running if that's an option.

·
Registered
2006 Vivid Blue Pearl RSX Type-S/1995 Delsol VTEC
30 Posts
I can't stress this enough, if your worried about getting a clean and we'll maintained engine buy from a reputable supplier.

Avoid private sellers from eBay, CL, FB, etc unless you know the person, car, history, etc. You will pay more but you will have peace and be able to sleep at night knowing you have a healthy motor.

You could go the cheap way and end up with a roach of a motor, wind up pulling it back out, rip it apart, send everything out for machining and rebuild. It could cost you more in the long run, more work and more downtime off the road.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My motor has been running well since I got it last month. I did a few flushes with fresh oil and detergents as well as some fuel cleaner for the valves and injectors.

Maybe ask for a video of it running if that's an option.
a video is a good idea. i hadn't thought of that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't stress this enough, if your worried about getting a clean and we'll maintained engine buy from a reputable supplier.

Avoid private sellers from eBay, CL, FB, etc unless you know the person, car, history, etc. You will pay more but you will have peace and be able to sleep at night knowing you have a healthy motor.

You could go the cheap way and end up with a roach of a motor, wind up pulling it back out, rip it apart, send everything out for machining and rebuild. It could cost you more in the long run, more work and more downtime off the road.
have any suggestions for suppliers? i looked at hmotors online and they didn't have any. neither does ebay.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
have any suggestions for suppliers? i looked at hmotors online and they didn't have any. neither does ebay.

i still haven't found any. I'm only finding 05-06 type s engines. Anyone have any recommendations?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts