Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a link to a write up or a DIY on removing the engine? The PDF floating around says to drop it out from the bottom of the car. Is that necessary or is it better to pull it from the top with a hoist? Any help would be appreciated. I really dont want to remove the subframe.

Thanks,

·
Señior Memberish
1,656 Posts
I would assume how the tranny is set up it would be more difficult to pull it out of the top becuase of the angle you would have to tilt the engine to get it out.
I have seen many engines dropped out the bottom and it seems (for our cars) to be the best bet. The subframe looks pretty easy to drop.

·
USP
259 Posts
That free manual floating around is pretty much awesome. And the way the mounts and all are set up it has to drop out the bottom. Make sure you have both tilt hangers for when you go to drop it out otherwise you'll have it hoisted on the tranny side with a floor jack and block of wood on the oil pan while your butt is puckered up wishing the tilt hook wasn't missing...

·
USP
259 Posts
You just unbolted the mounts from the body then and pulled it up? So you left the K frame in then, huh?

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,240 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, you have to disconnect the A/C if you lift it out but not if you drop it out.

·
USP
259 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, you have to disconnect the A/C if you lift it out but not if you drop it out.
Ohhh...word word. THAT was a major reason why we just did it the way it was designed to. Forgot all about that, man. Good note.

Yea the High Psi hard line is right above it. I just dropped it out. Weird and took more time from doing them in older Hondas, but hey first time through is always new/slow.

PM me OP if you get stuck or want my personal input. Not saying I'm right (as seen you can do it either way) just if you get stuck and would like to know how we got through it just holla...good luck man and may God be with you because wow, haha...yeah.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohhh...word word. THAT was a major reason why we just did it the way it was designed to. Forgot all about that, man. Good note.

Yea the High Psi hard line is right above it. I just dropped it out. Weird and took more time from doing them in older Hondas, but hey first time through is always new/slow.

PM me OP if you get stuck or want my personal input. Not saying I'm right (as seen you can do it either way) just if you get stuck and would like to know how we got through it just holla...good luck man and may God be with you because wow, haha...yeah.
Thanks for the input guys, I dont want to lose my AC Freon so I will drop it out the bottom since the manual has it step by step. Is a 3 ton jack good enough to jack the car up high enough to drop it from the bottom? Or does it need to be on a lift? Thats the only thing I'm worried about now. I need to get the motor out this weekend to start tearing it apart and see WTF is wrong with it.

G

·
Just my opinions: If the A/C-thing is an issue for you, the it might be worth reconsidering doing the job yourself. Also, I would not be interested in dropping the motor out the bottom unless I had access to a lift.

If you are going to drop the subframe, you will need at least two floor jacks to balance everthing. Good luck.

·
USP
259 Posts
^^Why the jacks now? A buddy and I just loosened the four corners of the K frame and held it up with our bodies and dropped it out. Dad grabbed it and pulled it from the front then.

You don't NEED a lift, but I won't lie...would have been a LOT smoother with one when it comes to dropping it out. If you have two other people helping there's no reason you can't drop it out.

I do agree with Eric though that if you are by yourself and want to drop it out it may be more difficult. Then again....Eric you took the K frame out right? If that's the case, man just drop it out, ha. That'd be the only plus for me and honestly it's not even that hard or time consuming.

Oh, and if you're doing it with jacks take the bumper off (duh) and the front end needs to be roughly 2 feet off the ground to slide it out. Drop it on a sheet of plywood or something that'll slide easy on the concrete.

G

·
^^Why the jacks now? A buddy and I just loosened the four corners of the K frame and held it up with our bodies and dropped it out. Dad grabbed it and pulled it from the front then.

You don't NEED a lift, but I won't lie...would have been a LOT smoother with one when it comes to dropping it out. If you have two other people helping there's no reason you can't drop it out.

I do agree with Eric though that if you are by yourself and want to drop it out it may be more difficult. Then again....Eric you took the K frame out right? If that's the case, man just drop it out, ha. That'd be the only plus for me and honestly it's not even that hard or time consuming.

Oh, and if you're doing it with jacks take the bumper off (duh) and the front end needs to be roughly 2 feet off the ground to slide it out. Drop it on a sheet of plywood or something that'll slide easy on the concrete.
There are many different ways to skin a cat.

·
7,611 Posts

How the hell are you going to drop it out without a hoist? You'd need some pretty tall jackstands to get it out from beneath the car.....
its a subframe not a k frame
That's very helpful. Thank you, I was very worried about that being called a K-frame.

·
USP
259 Posts
When did I say you didn't need a hoist? You don't need a LIFT to do it...but a hoist most definitely. Sorry for confusion.

As for the frame. I've learned it to be called a K frame, since it holds the motor (a K series).

EDIT: When I asked if he were using 'jacks' I meant to lift the car in the air as opposed to having a lift. Jacks, jackstands, whatever...

·
Registered
13 Posts
pretty much the easiest way to take apart the engine from ur car is first taking everything off the front end, lights, bumper, fenders, and then hood so u can move around easy. after do that now unplug everything u see that connects to the engine, Oh my bad i forgot u have to dissconect the radiator and ac condesor NOW WHATCH OUT WHEN DISCONECTING THE AC CONDESOR ALOT OR WHITE / GREEN SMOKE WILL GO IN UR FACVE MAKE SURE U HAVE A RAG ON THE NUMBER 10 socket so u dont blind ur self. it's under pressure thats y. after doing so take everything apart that plugs into the engine and all so the engine mounts after doing so lift the car up take apart ur wheels and the axle that connects on the front wheels, after that take of to bolts that go on the engine that connects the catalitic converter and the engine together (ur exhaust) 2 bolts only nothing more. they have springs on them so dont mistaken them, aftert that u saw that black bar in the pic thats on the bottom and holds the engine with about i would say less then 8 bolts big ones after LOOSENING THAT up u must get a engine hoise and connect the engine to the hook and simply just take off the bolts on the bottom

·
Click Me
109 Posts
Just my opinions: If the A/C-thing is an issue for you, the it might be worth reconsidering doing the job yourself. Also, I would not be interested in dropping the motor out the bottom unless I had access to a lift.

If you are going to drop the subframe, you will need at least two floor jacks to balance everthing. Good luck.

Stupid question..but are the back wheels lifted (Have TONS to learn.)

·
Señior Memberish
1,656 Posts
I just pulled my engine.. and i have to say, pulling it out the top isnt as hard as i thought it was going to be. I had the car on ramps, and lifted it out with a 1-ton engine hoist.

i think the hardest part is just disconnecting all the stuff.. it is really helpful to have a digital camera to take photos of the high traffic areas of tubing, and mark them with masking tape with corresponding numbers.

I actually on the front engine mount, thought it was super torqued down (the parallel bolt), so i torqued it, and torqued it, to get it out (with my arm).. and i actually broke the bolt's weld.. hahaha, i guess im pretty beefy.. and stupid.. haha.

but overall, K series pulls are not really any nightmare.

In one day (10 hours).. we pulled the engine (myself and two other people).. changed the clutch and throwout bearing, installed engine mounts, and dropped it back in.. and i drove out of the driveway that night. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts