Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
allrighty....i may be taking the plunge into aftermarket wheels & tires here shortly, and the top two on my "reasonably priced" list are the enkei bortex rpm2 and the konig blatant. if i had a ton of cash to blow on rims, i'd be all over a set of volks or 3-piece racing harts or even OZ's, but i'm trying to compromise and get something cheaper that still looks good, doesn't weigh a ton, and comes from a reputable source (e.g., tire rack, discount tire, whalen tire, etc.).

pros for the enkei's - forged, light weight (16 lbs for 17's, 18 lbs for 18's), plus i've had my eye on 'em for a few months now. you never see 'em on anything - most of the RH evo wheels and most of the konig stuff are all over every page of every tuner magazine out there.

but, i also like the konig blatant w/ the opal finish. they're not *too* heavy, and they're marginally cheaper. but, they are going to be more common, and they are heaviER, and they're cast.

so, what's the majority vote here? just curious - i already know that i'm leaning toward the rpm2 with the blatant as a strong 2nd place, but i'd be interested to know what y'all's opinions are.

also, there's the age-old debate - 17's vs. 18's. the 18's look awesome on just about every RSX i've seen, but for a daily driver that accumulates some 20k miles/year on less-than-perfect roads, i don't want to kill my kidneys just for a bit more bling-factor. basically, i want the looks of the 18's but in the back of my head i'm pretty sure the 17's would suit my needs better. bigger than stock, better-looking rims, better tires than OEM, but not as harsh-riding - and those same tires won't cost me as much come replacement time. i'm looking at probably a $400 price difference, since if i go w/ the 18's i'll probably step up to a better tire (yoko parada) that isn't available w/ the 17's (probably get kumho's given the choices in that size).

any comments from the peanut gallery?

·
Registered
229 Posts
g.smurf said:
allrighty....i may be taking the plunge into aftermarket wheels & tires here shortly, and the top two on my "reasonably priced" list are the enkei bortex rpm2 and the konig blatant. if i had a ton of cash to blow on rims, i'd be all over a set of volks or 3-piece racing harts or even OZ's, but i'm trying to compromise and get something cheaper that still looks good, doesn't weigh a ton, and comes from a reputable source (e.g., tire rack, discount tire, whalen tire, etc.).

any comments from the peanut gallery?
Without quoting the whole thingI will lend some advice. I have 18" Triple chrome rims that weigh in at 23lbs a corner. I think 18 is the only way to go if you want that awesome look. The ride isn't bad im riding om kumho's 225/40/18's. My car's also lowered and the wheel gap is full and it just looks like I couldnt' have made a better choice. So I would definetly go with 18's..even though their are a lot of potholes around toronto I rarely hit them and even when I do im not really worried to much about breaking a rim.

As for your debate I would go with enkei for weight. They look great and one thing I wish is that I had gotten lighter wheels. I dont really notice it slower (i guess hard to notice diff between 14.4 and 14.8 in 1/'4) but for peiceof mind i'd go with the lighter wheel. Plus you said it's forged which is a plus. It's only 3-5lbs heavier then stock so that wont take to much time offa your speed but it'll definetly have your car looking awesome. So good luck and I hope I helped.

-Clu

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Check around some more. You can find deals that you want, such as importhookup.com where they have racing hart packages in 17"s for 1100. 18"s look cool, but they are heavier, and the ride is a little rougher, that is why I am selling my 18s on Ebay right now. Well there are other reasons im selling, as it says in my selling description, but weight and money are the main ones.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
'preciate the input...fwiw, i am aware of other sources like importhookup and groupbuycenter, but it looks like i may have an opportunity to pick up a set of wheels at or near wholesale, and unless the discount i'm looking at is less than i'm thinking it'll be, i won't be really saving all that much by going w/ a package deal from one of those places (assuming i even found a wheel i really liked in one of those packages).

with that said, if my current deal falls through, i'm no longer in a hurry at all and will probably wait a little longer to get anything. it's just that something came up that i might be able to take advantage of, and the enkei RPM2 and konig blatant were already at the top of my "cheap wheels" list anyway.

at the moment i'm still leaning toward 17" RPM2's, but yet i'm still very interested in hearing other opinions.

·
My butterfly bit me
1,344 Posts
the rpm2s 18s only weigh 18 pounds. I think they look sweet and im ordering mine when i get a set of springs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts