Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is some elec power steering motor (sorry not familiar with EPS) with bars (tie-rods?) coming out into my hubs. There is a bushing on the tie rod end (I think that's what it's called) that looks like it's shot. I'm guessing this is why my steering feels like garbage when going from a left to a right. It feels like a tiny dead spot in the steering wheel.
Does this make sense to you guys? Is there a DIY for replacing those bushings?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
229 Posts
Still haven't had time to get under there and take a pic. It is the tie rod end that I'm referring to:

https://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/oem-parts/acura-end-tie-rod-53541s7a003/?c=Zz1jaGFzc2lzJnM9cC1zLWdlYXItYm94Jmk9NDgyNTI2MDUmcj0xMCZhPWFjdXJhJm89cnN4LWhhdGNoYmFjayZ5PTIwMDUmdD10eXBlLXMmZT02LXNwZWVkLW1hbnVhbA==

I was looking for a DIY, but didn't see one. I will bust out the Acura shop manual tomorrow and see what it says I have to do.
That's the outer tie rod. You can't replace that bushing because there's a ball joint in there, probably has dirt and crap in it from it being ripped. Just get a new outer tie rod, replace and get an alignment because it'll be off if you don't put it back in the exact same spot. You can get it close by counting the number of rotations it takes to remove it. Then install with the same amount of turns

·
Registered
229 Posts
Still haven't had time to get under there and take a pic. It is the tie rod end that I'm referring to:

https://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/oem-parts/acura-end-tie-rod-53541s7a003/?c=Zz1jaGFzc2lzJnM9cC1zLWdlYXItYm94Jmk9NDgyNTI2MDUmcj0xMCZhPWFjdXJhJm89cnN4LWhhdGNoYmFjayZ5PTIwMDUmdD10eXBlLXMmZT02LXNwZWVkLW1hbnVhbA==

I was looking for a DIY, but didn't see one. I will bust out the Acura shop manual tomorrow and see what it says I have to do.
I personally have the ktuned spherical set of inner and outer tie rods and I love them

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, it looks like you changed the whole tie rod instead of just the tie rod end.
Ktuned describes those spherical tie rods as "race only". Do you know why? They are shorter to allow for aggressive lowering?

Was it difficult to change the whole tie rod/did you have the engine in the car at the time?

Found some info and it seems easier than I thought to swap them out. Just unscrew the nut and tap it with a hammer to pop it out. Mark the threads so you know how far to turn it in.

·
Registered
650 Posts
like Nytrious said you cannot replace the busing itself, you have to replace the whole "tie rod end" https://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HON-53541-S7A-003.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6NjNBRDKARIsAFn3NMoZAiuC8_oKyHQSMgAkUs1fE_oh70nOu_NjAgBR0f4F_zLrap4fJr0aApY2EALw_wcB
Hardest part is breaking the locking nut loose. The Ktuned tie rod ends are considered "race only" because the spherical design is more responsive but isnt ideal for daily driving because there isnt as much play. Im not good at describing this but think of a spherical joint as either on or off, where as an oem ball joint has more has more room to play between on or off. Spherical joints are also known to be noisy. I would just stick to oem unless your doing some hard track days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts