Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I decided to start a thread documenting my modifications and fixes for my new ep3. I am trying to keep it under 1k-2k not counting maintenance. This is my backup car/bad weather car and really I don't expect to get what i put into it back so I am keeping it really cheap :). Performance for me is not a concern the race car is my good weather car, comfort and driveability is since I will be driving this 2/3 of the year or a little less.

Overview/Plans
-Something besides Stock Wheels
-Lip Kit
-Maybe Lowering Springs (Not sure yet I want to keep it comfortable)
-Painted Hood/Roof/Wing
-Mugen Wing
-Roof Rack 0'crap
-Mugen Grill
-Custom Made Parts
-Stickers
-Fun Cheap and Easy DIY mods

Car Background
A couple years ago I went to Chicago to buy a ep3 but the dealership lied and did not have it, So I ended up driving home with a Turbo Focus, close enough to a ep3 lol. Anyway I moved on from that car awhile ago and my other back up car died and I found my dream ep3 for cheap! A euro yellow pearl, one owner, well maintained, bone stock gem.

If any of you have ideas for mods let me know!!

The Day I got it :))))

Baby Rota's!! I was going to keep the stock wheels/tires longer but they were dry-rotted and on the verge of failure. So I took my first hit to the budget, $250 for some Rota's with a little too small of a tire but they were brand new, I may end up trading them for different wheels later down the road but hey it was a good enough deal.

The Wheels were missing center caps, my girlfriend has rota's also so I decided to design and 3D-print some new ones. I will post pictures of the painted ones later today :D Cost Negligible

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thats one clean ep! I myself always wanted a Yellow Euro EP. Those wheels sure contrast nicely with the color as well!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might be able to pop OEM Honda center caps on there, if you're interested. I got mine for my steel wheels on ebay. They came off of an EK.
Yeah I thought about that but it was easy enough for me to design&print some really quick!

Thats one clean ep! I myself always wanted a Yellow Euro EP. Those wheels sure contrast nicely with the color as well!
Thanks

This is the first painted prototype, I am finishing up the other 3 then I will put them on and test them out on the trip I am taking this weekend and see how they hold up. They fit amazingly and snap in snug. (Pics on car coming later today :D)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I found a 1991 Accord Lip at the junkyard, It was pretty rough but only 5$!!

I cleaned it up and it fits perfect!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does anyone know how many posts you need before not needing admin approval for images? I have been wanting to update my build thread but nothings been approved in over a week :(

·
Registered
280 Posts
I joined last year; I don't really know, but it took a while. If I were to guess, I think it was 10 or 25; you could pm a moderator to get the real answer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a update with no pictures :(

Centercaps have been revised with ABS and I did some design tweaks

Installed a 1991 Accord Junkyard Lip $5

Installed ebay Towhook to match my gf's

wrapped the hood with ebay vinyl, turned out pretty good for my first time! doing the roof and wing next

·
Registered
280 Posts
:needpics::needpics::needpics::needpics::needpics::needpics::needpics::needpics:

Just kidding. :fistbump: I know it's frustrating; I went through the same thing last year.

Figured out if you're going to be doing suspension mods?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha. Here is my best attempt.
________
/ ____|___ \_
| @____[email protected]__|

I do not really have suspension mods on the to-do list right now since this thing drives soo good. Once I put thees new wheels on with the newer tires I really think it might be more comfortable than my Cadillac. My only gripe for drive-ability right now is the cruise control issue, and tires are a little small.

Now if I come across some decent lowering springs for really cheap I might be swayed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I saw we can post hyperlinks so theese will suffice for now!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dHGQYBL3EqxzGg21REervffObVVBRYrnwQ
Got matching ricey towhooks for my girlfriend and I. Its a great bumper protector if you have to park in the city.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kcdb_HCWjo4ueODp77IC0syLgfLef3CLgw
After 5$ Junkyard 91 Accord Lip.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15IZek5IKJlvHVsDFZmFNw-7Tx--38hZtJA
During Lip Install

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13rcxJD-RngIngVBdvje9SSH0hrJzCtsQWg
Before Lip Install

All the lip really required was a bunch of filler primer and sanding since the only one I could find was pretty beat. I also did several coats of black after smoothing it out some.
Then I used self tappers and 3M tape to attach it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I like the lip. :thumbsup: I still haven't figured out what I want to do in that area.

Thought about painting the fog surrounds black? Aftermarket fogs are about $40 on ebay and look more integrated - I have pics on my build thread. Just a thought.

·
Registered
110 Posts
that lip looks good. Always wanted to do it but wasnt confident on the way it would turn out. Your work proves otherwise! Looks awesome imo。 Nice work restoring it too.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the lip. :thumbsup: I still haven't figured out what I want to do in that area.

Thought about painting the fog surrounds black? Aftermarket fogs are about $40 on ebay and look more integrated - I have pics on my build thread. Just a thought.

Good idea, I am actually going to try doing a film over the lens covers first ($2 solution maybe?) , If I don't like how that looks i will probably go with your suggestion since I like the aftermarket fogs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another Update.

So I bought some $12.83 Gloss Black Vinyl from JDM Bestboy on ebay and thought I would give it a shot. My hopes were not high using cheap air release vinyl plus I have not had luck in the past doing window tint, or headlight wrap. For $13 it couldn't hurt though vs paying $150 to get it professionally done.

Applying the wrap went pretty smoothly. I worked my way out with a squeegee and had my GF help keep the film taught. I also used a heat gun to lightly heat up trouble areas that tried to wrinkle and smoothed them out. If you are not careful you can scratch the gloss vinyl, I did scratch it in one spot but i got it mostly out with a little scrubbing. Matte/Carbon fiber is much more forgiving.

The hardest area to do was probably the lower creases of the hood but it was not as bad as I thought it would be at all. It took a little less than a hour. I am going to do the roof, maybe trunk next.

It was bugging me how faded the paint was on the hood and I was loosing clear. If you are in the same boat i highly recommend giving this a shot. You do not need a lot of skill to do it, just patience and a heat gun and a helper.

I know its controversial to do but I will be experimenting with ebay stuff for this car. Due to the budget aspect I don't mind being a guinea pig and I don't want to sink thousands into it. (even though its a cool car).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5wOWgaKVW19b25XRzVwMTN3elE

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So my roof wrap did not go well. my clear coat was so thin it started peeling up and ruined the vinyl. So I am thinking about rattle canning the roof with clear and wet sanding it out, letting it cure for a month and then attempt to re-wrap. Here is a picture of how bad my roof is faded. I removed the visor for the wrap and rack.

In the mean time I have done a couple more things! On a budget!!

I got this Yakima roof rack on craigslist with a set of correct clips and another set of almost correct clips (q5 instead of q6). It also came with 3 bike mounts and road bike mount. I plan on selling 3 of them to pay for the cost of the roof rack itself so its almost free. I got it for 130$, I am hoping to get 30 or 40 out of the bike mounts. I already had the cargo basket from my old SUV i decided to use since I do actually haul a bit. I run a small re-sale gig on ebay and also need it to haul house stuff if I don't want to use my old truck. So this rack will do!

4x4 Status!! (Still looking to trade wheels)

Another thing I purchased was a 27.95$ shift knob off ali express. Its ok quality. The red material is just a thin strip and shows the under material if the black lace isnt perfect. Overall ill rate it a 3 out of 5. I plan on 3d printing a clip or something so the boot looks better. The OEM knob had 180k miles and was getting wore out and I didn't like the feeling. This new ones actually pretty fun!

I also fixed a lock actuator in the drivers door. It was a pain but the key fob wouldnt work without it and it was driving me nuts. Another 28$ fix off ebay!

Total Spent So far

$240 - Wheels (Maintenance/Some Enhancement lets call it 50/50)
$4 - CenterCaps
$12.85 - Wrap Hood
$11.00 - Tow Hook
$5 - Junkyard Lip
$3 - Primer and Paint
$20 - Failed Roof Wrap
$27.95 - Shift Knob
$10 - Yakima Rack!

$28 - Lock actuator (Maintenance)
$30 - Cruise control module (Maintenance)

Rougly 400$ spent so far $178~ of it maintenance related. The wheels/tires were semi maintenance too since mine were shot. I think I am doing ok so far!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still looking to trade wheels, eh? Are you selling the Rotas?
Yeah! I am hoping to trade the rotas though for something with a larger tire. if I don't get any bites I may just opt for bigger tires after awhile. I am most likley going to throw some meaty snow tires on the stockers for winter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So i found someone locally that traded me some 16" Rota Boosts (I think) They have the proper tire size and I finally have a accurate Speedometer and no painfully high highway revs! I may paint them a different color when i am not lazy but they will do the job for now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts