Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, my lease for my 2006 rsx-s will be up in April 2009. At that time i will have the option to buy my car for 14,700. I estimate i will only have 25k miles by then. Given how much a low-mileage 2004 rsx-s is worth now and the fact the 2006 was the last year, What's a good estimate i would be able to sell it for?

The reason im asking this because if i can buy it for 14,700 and then turn around and sell it for 16 or 17k then i will keep the car, otherwise i have the option to transfer over my lease to a friend and get myself another car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
doesn't the dealer usually subtract the amount you have already paid for the car while leasing it from the total price the car was worth, and that ends up being how much it would cost you to buy it? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doesn't the dealer usually subtract the amount you have already paid for the car while leasing it from the total price the car was worth, and that ends up being how much it would cost you to buy it? :dontknow:
no, they give you the end of lease buyout price which is negotiable, in my case i just accepted 14,700 because i thought that was a fair price. There is probably some way that they figure it out which im not sure about.

·
Registered
318 Posts
no, they give you the end of lease buyout price which is negotiable, in my case i just accepted 14,700 because i thought that was a fair price. There is probably some way that they figure it out which im not sure about.
how much is your monthly lease payment?

·
:lurk:
1,612 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
315 a month, 0 down, tax and other fees upfront 36month lease. i think the final cost of the car was 24,547. So if i decide to buy it, it will end up costing me around 26,500. Which is pretty awesome, people usually get screwd on leases.

·
Registered
80 Posts
They set a "residual" in your lease contract. That is a predetermined amount the lendor believes the car will be worth in "x" amount of years and "x" amount of miles. Read your lease and it will tell you what you can buy the car for. It is NON negotiable and they might have a disposition or buy out fee somewhere around 100 to 500 dollars.

In my case.... i leased an 06 s and my residual was 16700 or around there and that was 36/36k lease.

Thats the nice thing about a lease. If its worth more than that residual, you can sell it or trade it in and have equity. But.... most of time the lendors set residuals that are right on the money.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
which is what you're getting.
how am i getting screwed? If someone would finance a RSX-S that doesn't have the best credit, the car would end up costing them over 26,500 for sure. I basically pay 315 a month for 3 years which will come out to 11,xxx and within those 3 years i will have been saving up the 14,700 that i will pay at the end to keep it. If i dont have the 14,700 i could still finance that money, which is something i will not be doing.

26,500 isn't to far from the actual cost of 24,547(which is what most people have payed for a new rsx-s) i've heard people paying that 26,500 or close to that on the forum.

·
Always Brave
67,134 Posts
how am i getting screwed? If someone would finance a RSX-S that doesn't have the best credit, the car would end up costing them over 26,500 for sure. I basically pay 315 a month for 3 years which will come out to 11,xxx and within those 3 years i will have been saving up the 14,700 that i will pay at the end to keep it. If i dont have the 14,700 i could still finance that money, which is something i will not be doing.

26,500 isn't to far from the actual cost of 24,547(which is what most people have payed for a new rsx-s) i've heard people paying that 26,500 or close to that on the forum.
1. You're paying more then the total price.
2. You're leasing a car you can't afford to buy outright.
3. You paid $26g's for a rsx.

·
Registered
80 Posts

.... i do this for a living (Finance). Leases are nice for people who like to switch car every so often. Think about it, in three years if you financed it you would still owe a hefty payoff. Leases enable you to have the lowest payment, your always under warranty, and you dont have to pay sales tax on the full amount of the car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
1. You're paying more then the total price.
2. You're leasing a car you can't afford to buy outright.
3. You paid $26g's for a rsx.
^^that's how you're getting screwed mate :bow:
we're not telling you this to piss you off, we're just pointing out the obvious.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/acura/rsx/100613226/cto.html
^^that's the right link you should look at. not the one Bullit posted. his link is for a Base Auto RSX not a Type S

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1. You're paying more then the total price. I understand that im getting alittle screwed, it happens with every lease or else they wouldnt make money off of them.....
2. You're leasing a car you can't afford to buy outright.---That why most people lease a car, because they don't have enough money to buy it outright.
3. You paid $26g's for a rsx. Yes, i know which is why i made this thread in the first place......if i buy it for the 14,700 at the end of the lease, will i be able to turn around and sell it for more, if i do that, and can sell it for lets say, 16k or 17k, this car would have ended up costing me about 23k instead of 26k.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ill do the math for everyone. my paymt. of 312 x 36 = 11232. My residual is 14747. 14747 + 11232 = 25979. Now keep in mind if were to have financed or bought the vehicle my pymnt would be 521.00 ( 24000 plus tax and fees and a rate of 6.9%) and my total price i would have paid would be 26269.

·
Always Brave
67,134 Posts
1. You're paying more then the total price. I understand that im getting alittle screwed, it happens with every lease or else they wouldnt make money off of them.....
2. You're leasing a car you can't afford to buy outright.---That why most people lease a car, because they don't have enough money to buy it outright.
3. You paid $26g's for a rsx. Yes, i know which is why i made this thread in the first place......if i buy it for the 14,700 at the end of the lease, will i be able to turn around and sell it for more, if i do that, and can sell it for lets say, 16k or 17k, this car would have ended up costing me about 23k instead of 26k.
Ok, think as you wish, you just said you were getting screwed. Anytime you pay MORE for a car then the final price, you're getting screwed. You should buy, not lease, but not go outside of your budget.

lol, y u gotta bring that up for...it was a dum thread, i admit it, i got flammed enough for it, no need to bring it back....please stay on topic
cause it's fucking hilarious that you'd even think a M3 would be a close race.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts