Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I called the MVA located in my state, which is Maryland. And I asked if I could put a race header into my rsx and if it would pass emissions. His response was to either contact the manufacture or my dealer and see if the part is ETA certified. He also said it doesn't matter what state your in, as long as the part is certified by ETA.

My question is:

If I was to buy the club rsx race header, who would I contact to see if the part is certified and legal?

Thanks!

·
Bańned
12,108 Posts
the clubrsx header has no certification of any kind. any race header is NOT legal because they eliminate the cat, which is illegal in all 50 states.

i say just get the race header and see if it passes. the only reason it wouldnt pass is if you tell them that you dotn have a cat or if there is a visual involved during the emissions process

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the clubrsx header has no certification of any kind. any race header is NOT legal because they eliminate the cat, which is illegal in all 50 states.

i say just get the race header and see if it passes. the only reason it wouldnt pass is if you tell them that you dotn have a cat or if there is a visual involved during the emissions process
Yeah see I don't wanna go through the mess then. What about shorty headers? and why are they called shorty? *I know this is a noob question

·
Bańned
12,108 Posts
not worth the money. you dont see any gain from a shorty header. theres only two options that you really have when buying a header

1) keep the stock header
2) get a race header

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not worth the money. you dont see any gain from a shorty header. theres only two options that you really have when buying a header

1) keep the stock header
2) get a race header
Ahh okay, has anyone ever passed with a race header on their car?

·
Billy Ball is in effect
7,013 Posts
For the header to pass, it needs to have a cat. You can add an aftermarket cat to the header, to pass emissions. Even so, the header itself won't truly be certified.

Search "high flow cat" and read up.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the header to pass, it needs to have a cat. You can add an aftermarket cat to the header, to pass emissions. Even so, the header itself won't truly be certified.

Well from my understanding as long as you have the cat converter you can pass.

As for the High flow cat, it's just a container for the bad gasses etc..

And your saying I can put an High cat on this racing header and Ill pass, if so what other parts do I need besides the header? *You don't have to list accessories just parts that are needed for the installment.

·
Nikon & Nitrous Crew
2,055 Posts
You need a race header, high flow cat, and someone that knows how to weld and install both.

·
Bańned
12,108 Posts

not necessarily.

depending on the state, you can meet the minimum emissions requirements without a cat. as long as they dont know that youre not running a cat then youre fine. i know plenty of ppl who passed with no cat in IL.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
not necessarily.

depending on the state, you can meet the minimum emissions requirements without a cat. as long as they dont know that youre not running a cat then you're fine. i know plenty of ppl who passed with no cat in IL.
Okay cool to know, so if I fail the test, I can just go order a high flow cat (have it installed) and re take the test right?

Another concern I had is that will the muffler extend out further than the stock length? I don't want my tail pipe extending further outside of the bumper.

·
Registered
312 Posts
not necessarily.

depending on the state, you can meet the minimum emissions requirements without a cat. as long as they dont know that youre not running a cat then youre fine. i know plenty of ppl who passed with no cat in IL.
yep Illionis is easy to pass with no cat. all they do is check your emission monitors to make sure they have all ran and with my dcrh my cat monitor still runs with the cel eliminator of coarse

·
Billy Ball is in effect
7,013 Posts
not necessarily.

I agree, you can sneak by if the inspection is a quick visual or an OBd2 scan and you have the defouler. Hence why I used "truly certified" when describing a header using a high flow cat.

You won't pass if they do visual confirmation/check and check for EPA compliant parts or a sniffer test.

Meeting emissions requirements and omitting information are different things. You are omitting information with a defouler.

·
Billy Ball is in effect
7,013 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Wow that so blows. So I mine as well just get a nice exhaust huh? But if I put an cat converter with the type-s exhaust & race header will Ill pass?

·
Billy Ball is in effect
7,013 Posts
Wow that so blows. So I mine as well just get a nice exhaust huh? But if I put an cat converter with the type-s exhaust & race header will Ill pass?
It depends on whether the place you go to checks for EPA certs. You can still pass the sniffer if you get a good high flow cat and get it integrated into your header. I believe people used this model with success.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=62865

·
Registered
61,559 Posts
Race header + welded cat just as much as a waste of money as a shorty header. Just get a race header and dins someone that works at an inspection place to "pass" you. That's what I do in Virginia

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is putting a cat on a race header not a good idea? I want to avoid swapping parts but then again I have an emissions test every 2 years.

·
Billy Ball is in effect
7,013 Posts
Find someone local who will "take care" of the sniffer test. You can pass the obd2 test with the defouler/extension.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
For me that might be unlikely because I don't know anyone that will do it. Most likely i would have a good auto shop to do it.

I herd that the DC Sports Race header is CARB certified.

http://www.dcsports.com/faq.html

If possible can someone just provide a proper setup to do this? Like street header + cat + exhaust. My objective is to not really make the car, race other people like people with type-s's do, I just want it to sound nice and have a more power and have fun with it.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts