Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

ever notice on ur car that???

Tags
car notice
2K views 59 replies 46 participants last post by  DC5 allday 
#1 ·
ever notice that when ur driving on the freeway and the gas lamp comes on but if u get off the freeway soon and drive around residential the light goes off? and with me it stays off for another 3 or so miles.

is it made so that they want you to know sooner that ur running out of gas when ur on the freeway? or is it actually the gas lamp detcotr thing is sensored cuz the speed at which ur going pushed the gas closer to the sensor?

#7 ·
when you are low on gas, your gas lamp came on, maybe u were on a slight uphill, it reads less on uphill casue gas is slanted, but on downhill, it always reads a bit more for same reason in reverse. when you exited the highway, you were probably on a downhill off ramp and it read more gas till you drove a bit then you hit the point where the light comes back on.

#22 ·
yea i know about this but the thing is that doesnt matter. i live in a hilly area and whether uphill or downhill the lamp will NOT come on in the city even after seeing the light on for 3 miles on the freeway just a few minutes earlier. its happened more than once.

Ever think that gas is liquid and will slush around? Its just the gas moving around, no big deal.
yea thats what i asked in the last sentence. is it just the gas moving around.

but its not cuz whether uphill downhill i dont see it the light come on again in the city

#13 ·
I always fill my tank when it reaches half so I never reach that point. But in relation to your question, I noticed when I drive on the highway, my gas meter automatically drops a couple clicks. Then when I get off the highway and do normal city driving, it moves up a couple clicks. The gas gauge is a type of pressure sensor. I guess maybe when you're driving on the highway, the initial acceleration off the ramp takes up considerably more gas than typical and so the sensor detects a very sudden change in pressure. This observation is not just specific to the RSX. It's common on many vehicles.

#29 ·
I don't ever let my car get low enough for the gas light to come on...

It's prty bad for the car and your injectors because when the gas is low it sucks up all the dirt and contaminants on the botton of the tank

also I think when the light does go on your ECU retards fuel & ignition to help reserve a decent amount for you to get more gas

and NO I never noticed that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.