Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it be worth it and would it make alot of power say on a JRSC 7psi k20

with a stock exhaust to keep it quiet, and just for dyno's and track events put on a cutout, would that yeild enough hp to make it worth while?

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's what I have and it's great! I have the Quicktime Electronic Cutout (QTEC) which enables me to use to stock catback for daily driving and with a flick of a switch open cutout to race/dyno/etc.. Apparently it has better gains than a regular catback. It's great b/c you don't attract cops and for those time where you just want to relax.

So in short:
Pros
-Cost less than a regular cat back, $150 parts about $150 labor
-Dyno proven to have better gains than a regular cat back
-The sound of the turbo spooling + open cut out = :D
-Having the stock catback gives you A LOT better chance of not getting pulled over and ticketed.
- And last by not that least, I love the look on people's faces when they assume I'm stock, b/c of the exhaust so they continue to rev at me, and out of nowhere hear the sound of the open cutout.

Cons
-The cutout motor has a risk of getting over torqued which will cause leakage (but can be fixed with a little silicone)

·
Registered
2 Posts
showit0ff said:
That's what I have and it's great! I have the Quicktime Electronic Cutout (QTEC) which enables me to use to stock catback for daily driving and with a flick of a switch open cutout to race/dyno/etc.. Apparently it has better gains than a regular catback. It's great b/c you don't attract cops and for those time where you just want to relax.

So in short:
Pros
-Cost less than a regular cat back, $150 parts about $150 labor
-Dyno proven to have better gains than a regular cat back
-The sound of the turbo spooling + open cut out = :D
-Having the stock catback gives you A LOT better chance of not getting pulled over and ticketed.
- And last by not that least, I love the look on people's faces when they assume I'm stock, b/c of the exhaust so they continue to rev at me, and out of nowhere hear the sound of the open cutout.

Cons
-The cutout motor has a risk of getting over torqued which will cause leakage (but can be fixed with a little silicone)
I love this idea but does any of the exhaust make it through the cutout even just a little??? From the pictures of the system I have seen its like a small powerfull electronic motor driven open or closed throttle body.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ztrackedition said:
I love this idea but does any of the exhaust make it through the cutout even just a little??? From the pictures of the system I have seen its like a small powerfull electronic motor driven open or closed throttle body.
Well it's recommended to slowly push the switch up, as oppose to holding the switch, to close it to avoid being over torqued. If done correctly you won't have any problem with exhaust leaks. Considering you have no problems with the motor you shouldn't have any leaks at all.

·
Dudz
66 Posts
I've been interested in getting a QTEC electric cutout. I wanted to intall it before my cat because i don't want to cut into my borla exhaust. But, i went to a muffler shop to see if they could weld it in and they wouldn't...they said it was illegal. Do i just need to find the right shop or did you get yours intalled somewhere else. Anyone who knows anything about this is free to reply.

·
Murderator
3,949 Posts
<---Has cutouts....Its loud as hell..

·
Traction is for pussies
2,645 Posts
for those of you that have them, where is it welded in?

i bought a 3" cutout and had an appt. to get it welded in today...i was planning on taking my greddy off and putting the stock exhaust back on as well

i wanted to get it welded in before the cat as that is where most of the restrictions are it seems but the shop said there wouldn't be enough room

they would be willing to move the cat further back and then weld the cutout in there, but then my stock exhaust would also have to be modified and that would start getting expensive

so how did you guys fit it in there?

i'm thinking of going back and having them chop a nice round hole right before the cat and welding a flange onto that...what does everyone think?

right now i'm deciding if i should keep the cutout and if so, how i should put this thing on...i want my stock exhaust back on because i'm starting to get tired of the noise

any suggestions would be appreciated...does anyone have any pics of theirs installed?

if i were to extend the cat further back, how would you think the characteristics of the exhaust would change? (more of an engineer type of question)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Moving Cat.

The Cat. has to operate in a specific temp range. If you move it downstream, it may be to cool to function properly, i.e. you won't meet emissions (and it will only serve as an exhaust restriction.)
If it runs too hot, and this can be caused by too rich a mixture as well as placement, you can crack or in extreme cases even melt the element and form a plug in the exhaust. I've done a bit of web research and a lot of replacement high-flow cat problems could be attributed to other mods that caused over rich conditions that overheated the cat. No easy answer here, it's a complex problem with a lot of variables. :dontknow:
The safe bet would be to keep cat in stock position and mount a cutout flange as you mentioned above. :thumbsup:

·
Traction is for pussies
2,645 Posts
i understand the physics behind this but i just keep questioning it for some reason

i know the exhaust gasses will go to the outside if the cutout is open because it is less pressurized than the exhaust...but here is what i keep going back to and thinking about...

if i have a hole cut basically right before the cat and have the flange welded there so this thing is basically pointing straight down (so as not to heat up my o2 sensor wires and just having exhaust blast right onto them) would all of at least most of the exhaust gasses leave out of that hole? the way most cutouts are designed is that they have a Y type of design which just seems like it would allow the exhaust gasses to exit much more fluidly in my mind

so if i just cut a hole and have a flange welded in, would it basically be almost identical to having an actual Y style cutout welded into the exhaust?

·
Traction is for pussies
2,645 Posts
so would it be a bad idea to do this or would this still be flowing better than any aftermarket exhaust? i keep thinking of the physics behind it, which make sense...but then i keep thinking about it logically and just like imagin having a hole in a straw and pouring water through it or having a side pipe with a hole...

unfortunately there are clearance issues with the cutout so i have to figure something else out

·
Dudz
66 Posts
i tried to go get a cutout installed at a few places yesterday. Everyone said it was illegal to put it between the header and cat---and i'm not about to cut up my borla exhaust and weld it there. Damn emissions laws. if anyones got another solution lemme know.

·
Traction is for pussies
2,645 Posts
solution: know people

just find some place that normally does a lot of domestic work...they are used to installing things in place of the cats...or just look for a place that is a little shadier

edit: also, have you tried exhaust shops? they really shouldn't have a problem with doing it

i brought up the above ideas that i came up with (for a place to put the cutout) and talked to the mechanic about them and we are going to try and see if we can get it to fit without having any ground clearance issues on monday...i'll try to keep you guys updated then

·
Registered
87 Posts
The thing itself isn't illegal, unless otherwise it was open. Having an electronic cut out eliminates the use of a cat back (IMO). For our cars we only need a 2.5in, it's sufficient enough, big enough to get better gains and small enough to still have a little back pressure. The only other manufacturer I know is Quicktime, hence the Q in QTEC, and I'm pretty sure that's what everyone else has.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.