Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mercy is for the weak!
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this right after install. Tip is almost perfectly centered when cold (still off to the right a bit) but when fully warmed up it moves almost a full inch to the right getting dangerously close to the bumper.

The install was perfect and all flanges merried up fine on all sides. I have no leaks either. I do have an after market shorty header and I think I could maybe tighten the bolts where the cat and header meet as I inspected them and they looks to be a loose as if they unwound themselves

Whenever it warms up I'm going to loosen everything and have someone hold the tip centered and I'll tighten starting at the back and work my way up to see where the problem is. I really dont think its a manufacturer defect although the stock exhaust with that header was perfectly centered at all times. I reused the stock rubber hangers, installing them correctly too.

If all else fails I'm going to a shop to have them bend the hangers so it sits in the center. Anyone had experience with this and figured out what was wrong?

I've searched to no avail.

·
I'll never fall in line
2,069 Posts
It seems like your hanger straps are only supporting the exhaust in the vertical direction, you need to check for play (should be some, but not a lot) in those straps. You might need to get universal straps from Murrays or Autozone to prevent the horizontal direction.

From the sound of it the left strap would be the one to look at, it shouldn't allow the exhaust to sway that far to the right.

·
I'll never fall in line
2,069 Posts
Now by straps to you mean rubber hangers or actual straps? There is horizontal play in there, if I grab the pipe I can shake it but it doenst move to easily. I'll look into it. Thanks.
Yeah the rubber hanger, my exhaust is current using one factory rubber hanger and strap type hanger from Murray's Autoparts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts