Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out on a few of my questions! I have a base model and I'm thinking of doing the Type S head swap. As it stands, I have a Tanabe SRM installed on my car. I also have a Carsound cat that I'm waiting to install.

First, is there any other seperate piping in between the headers and the cat (ie. downpipe)? Or is there just the piping that is welded to the cat that connects the headers to the exhaust mid pipe? If so, if I were to do the head swap and use the Type S headers, couldn't I modify the piping used to connect the cat from the headers to the exhaust so that I don't have to modify the exhaust piping?

Any feedback would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Tegra Buoy said:
OK, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out on a few of my questions! I have a base model and I'm thinking of doing the Type S head swap. As it stands, I have a Tanabe SRM installed on my car. I also have a Carsound cat that I'm waiting to install.

First, is there any other seperate piping in between the headers and the cat (ie. downpipe)? Or is there just the piping that is welded to the cat that connects the headers to the exhaust mid pipe? If so, if I were to do the head swap and use the Type S headers, couldn't I modify the piping used to connect the cat from the headers to the exhaust so that I don't have to modify the exhaust piping?

Any feedback would be appreciated! :thumbsup:
Why not just keep the entire base exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
:iamwiths:
From what i understand the base manifold and type-s manifold bolt up the same way on the A2 or A3 head.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if the headers bolt up the same, does that mean that the only difference between the the 2 types of headers is the collector? I have DC headers for the base model that I could use if that is the case. My question still is there any other piping in between the headers and cat? I'm assuming that the order of exhaust piping is headers to cat to midpipe to muffler. Am I correct? Anyone else with feedback?

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
the header from the typeS and base are different along with the whole exhaust, the typeS header, cat, and exhaust will fit onto the base though if you do a complete swap

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, but if I were to have the Type S headers and a base exhaust, couldn't I have them mandrel bend the cat piping so that I could mate the two together, when I get my cat installed?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You could have it custom done but that is pretty much the only way to mate the type-s and base exhaust system together

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Too much work, just buy Type S Parts. Practice with Type S OEM parts first to see if u like it, I'm sure u will. I do! :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already have to do mandrel bending in order to install the cat since it doesn't include any piping. It won't be any more work on top of what I have to do anyways. They would just have to bend it slightly different. Oh, and I have the shorty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts