Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I'm aware that the hood latch on the RSX is mounted on a flimsy piece of sheet metal called a "front bulkhead." When it rips off of the bulkhead some people get their cars destroyed and etc. Plus, you all probably have experience with this annoying problem.

I've started fabbing up a reinforcement plate for it. What do you guys think?

The brace goes on the back of the front bulkhead and the latch goes on the front of the bulkhead. Adding this brace will sandwich the flimsy part of the bulkhead, strengthening it.

I estimate to have it done in about 15 days.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I'm still working on getting this produced to fix the hood latch problem that we all have. I'd like to know if anyone could possibly produce this for me or what people even think of this. I'm not trying to sell this on the forum, I'd just like to know if there is any interest in this product.

Anyway, here are some shots of the design phase! I determined that I'd need to resize some holes and relocate some holes. I also cut the bracket shown on the right in each picture for an increased ease of installation. I believe it would not negatively affect rigidity and strength.

Check em out :)

Here's a screen cap of the CAD drawing:

And here's a screen cap of the cutouts with the relocated holes. All of the measurements were recalculated using these:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good question. Here I drew the bulkhead on the front of the car relative to the radiator and the radiator support. Those two raisin-shaped things are headlights.

Next, I drew the bulkhead on its own. Notice it is composed of two parts-- a center bulkhead and a front bulkhead (if I remember correctly).

The front bulkhead is the half that holds the hood latch. Often times when the hood is opened or closed repeatedly on the RSX there tends to be damage that occurs at this front bulkhead. I recorded more than 40 users on CRSX who had this problem and thought it'd be cool to make a part that could fix this problem.

Here's what usually happens:

So to fix that, first imagine that part you just saw is now being viewed from the side. The three lines are signifying that there are three holes to mount the hood latch.

Now, imagine the front bulkhead with the hood latch and the hood latch plate as well all secured. Without the hood latch plate, the front bulkhead would rip again. But with the hood latch plate, look what happens!

Damage is prevented and you save yourself:

A.) $30 for a brand new, unpainted bulkhead-- not including painting costs and heat pressing or welding costs to reattach the front bulkhead to the center bulkhead. It also doesn't include the price of possibly bolting it if you are less precise about reassembling your car

or

B.) $10, approximately for a tube of JB Weld

or

C.) Cost of possibly rewelding holes in front bulkhead

or possibly

D.) Cost of a new windshield if your hood latch rips from the bulkhead while driving down the highway...and possibly worse

and of course...

E.)The ass-load of time you'll need to spend fixing this :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's usually due to average stress from opening and closing the hood. Some people will just go to open their hood one morning to refill oil before work or something for example and their hood latch will just be ripped out of their front bulkhead.

It has happened to my friend Kirsten who is on this forum and she was just as dumbfounded.

·
Registered
200 Posts
why not just go get a piece of sheet metal, trace the templates you made and cut them out for trial run? rough cut the then smooth out with sander to finish them out. i'm sure if you made them and tested them more ppl may be willing/wanting to try them out.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
why not just go get a piece of sheet metal, trace the templates you made and cut them out for trial run? rough cut the then smooth out with sander to finish them out. i'm sure if you made them and tested them more ppl may be willing/wanting to try them out.
Crip, I actully did this recently and took your advice. Thanks for the input. I just had to sort out an issue with the part. :thumbsup:

Here's the prototype I cut out:

Here's a redesigned model that has bosses which will be press-fitted on the front. I sent out the dimensions to my machinist friend one last time. He will be getting my part made by an actual machine for better accuracy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts