Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I was watching this vid on the then new 2005 dc5r and reading everything on the screen......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPpii8rafrU

watch it a couple times and read....

one of the improvements was braces.....well, if you know anything about the dc5, you know the there are a lot of changes on the 05 type-s, things like different lower ball joints ( large like the type-r) and upper strut tower brace....so I decided to look at the lower brace part numbers.....

look at #2 on this....

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/southbay/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?hidSwitch=&hidIrno=&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=3DR+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+SUB+FRAME&vinsrch=no&ListAll=&prdrefno=&act=&count=0&quantity=0

part# 74230-s6m-100

look at this 06 base dc5...#5

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2006&catcgry3=3DR+BASE&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+SUB+FRAME++-+PERFORMANCE+ROD&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

PART#74230-S6M-000

now look at the type-s 03...#4

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=FRONT+SUB+FRAME+-PERFORMANCE+ROD&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

they are all 74230-s6m-100

now look at the 05 type-s...#4

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=FRONT+SUB+FRAME++-+PERFORMANCE+ROD&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

that # is 74230-s6m-j00...........:eek:

you herd it here first.......:pimp

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this is so cool and noone liked it.......Thinking I am going to order one....

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
this is so cool and noone liked it.......Thinking I am going to order one....
How much of a difference would the bar really make if you already had one for the EP? Same as strut bars? I have the lower brace from a JDM ITR for DC5 02-04, but I never put it on. It's just wasting away in my trunk.

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered one along with the rear gussets the dc5 had around the rear shock mounts......At less than 50 bucks, why not? The one on the ep3/ other dc5's is really thin, you can see it from the wheel well. If this one is not stronger like I think it is, I may take it to a welder and get it beefed up. Strut tower braces are kinda dumb on the ep3, the air box tray under the windshield connect the strut towers...that how the Brits designed the hatch. This brace is where is needs to be to support things.....I do not think the under the sub braces do that much because the stock sub frame is so over biult....we will see.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I ordered one along with the rear gussets the dc5 had around the rear shock mounts......At less than 50 bucks, why not? The one on the ep3/ other dc5's is really thin, you can see it from the wheel well. If this one is not stronger like I think it is, I may take it to a welder and get it beefed up. Strut tower braces are kinda dumb on the ep3, the air box tray under the windshield connect the strut towers...that how the brits designed the hatch. This brace is where is needs to be to suport things.....I do not think the under the sub braces do that much because the stock sub frame is so over biult....we will see.
I usually don't see a lot of why not's. Just curious as you usually have all the why's so I figured I'd ask.

How do you feel about these?
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-1408381693991_1888_15907336

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I have been doing some more research....Here is a pic I pulled from the inter webs that shows all the braces that were improved on the dc5r....BTW, if any of you could translate this, that would be cool....

I am looking to install all the inner braces.....the dc5 has the rear strut braces, they are cheep at 17 a peace.....they can be seen in this pic....#33,#34

Jdmland sell the bar that connects them....that will goveme the whole peace circled in the top pic...

I am also getting the front lower brace....#4 in this pic

the 05-06 dc5-s is a different part number than all the other cars, I am guessing Its the type-r brace....we will see.;)

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I pulled the front brace and compared them.......the 05 dc5-s brace is about 1-2 lbs heavier than the ep3 brace. They look the same, I tried to take pics to show the difference
here is the side by side....

here is the end on shot

the dirty one is the ep3 of course....

....the wall of the tubing is much thicker on the 05 DC-s part....so I mounted it up.....4 mounting bolts(12mm)( added some washers because they will hold things better) and 2 heat shield bolts(10mm)

I have never been a big brace guy......Man, what a difference! Steering input is much better with this brace. Kinda makes sense since this brace is bracing the unibody where the steering rack mounts to the unibody.....so, you want to spend $60 bucks that make your ep3/ non 05-06 dc5-s react faster to steering inputs, order 74230-s6m-j00.....You will feel the difference.:thumbsup:

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sweet, good to see it actually made a difference, is 60 the shipped price?
It was 58....I think there were a couple bucks to ship.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Well, I pulled the front brace and compared them.......the 05 dc5-s brace is about 1-2 lbs heavier than the ep3 brace. They look the same, I tried to take pics to show the difference
here is the side by side....

here is the end on shot

the dirty one is the ep3 of course....

....the wall of the tubing is much thicker on the 05 DC-s part....so I mounted it up.....4 mounting bolts(12mm)( added some washers because they will hold things better) and 2 heat shield bolts(10mm)

I have never been a big brace guy......Man, what a difference! Steering input is much better with this brace. Kinda makes sense since this brace is bracing the unibody where the steering rack mounts to the unibody.....so, you want to spend $60 bucks that make your ep3/ non 05-06 dc5-s react faster to steering inputs, order 74230-s6m-j00.....You will feel the difference.:thumbsup:
I have the JDM one from a stripped type R. The front strut bar didn't fit because of of the MBC was in the way so I didn't install that one either. Tried pawning it off for 20 bucks but no one ever wanted it. You could have got both for cheap! :p Maybe when I have to have the sub frame dropped I'll have it thrown on.

The rear floor bar I linked from Jdmland and you have circled in the diagram are they the same? The EP3 and DC5 have stock ones right? Just not made of aluminum or as stiff?

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The brace I am talking about is the one down by the steering rack....If you do not have a 05-06 type-s, It is a upgrade.....Ep3's do not need strut tower braces because our splash trays connect the strut towers. The rear brace that you showed Is what I am talking about.....but if you look here....

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=FLOOR-INNER+PANEL&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

the part numbers for the 05 dc5 rear shock gusset is 74671-s6m-j00 and 74672-s6m-j00....the 03 type-s is here...

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=FLOOR-INNER+PANEL&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

these are 74671-s6m-000 and 74672-s6m-000.....seems any of the mods to the 05-06 type-s have a "j" in the last 3 dig of the number....I picked up these also....$16.50 each....they are thicker than the ones on the other dc5's, They also have mounting holes to attach them to the wheel well but they seem to be about 3/8th of a inch away from the wheel well.....I may have to make some spacers and drill dome holes....I will update when mounted

BTW, If you wanted to use your dc5-r upper strut brace, Look into a ep3 master cyclinder....they have a displaced brake resawar.......just a though.....:D

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The brace I am talking about is the one down by the steering rack....If you do not have a 05-06 type-s, It is a upgrade.....Ep3's do not need strut tower braces because our splash trays connect the strut towers. The rear brace that you showed Is what I am talking about.....but if you look here....

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=FLOOR-INNER+PANEL&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

the part numbers for the 05 dc5 rear shock gusset is 74671-s6m-j00 and 74672-s6m-j00....the 03 type-s is here...

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=FLOOR-INNER+PANEL&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

these are 74671-s6m-000 and 74672-s6m-000.....seems any of the mods to the 05-06 type-s have a "j" in the last 3 dig of the number....I picked up these also....$16.50 each....they are thicker than the ones on the other dc5's, They also have mounting holes to attach them to the wheel well but they seem to be about 3/8th of a inch away from the wheel well.....I may have to make some spacers and drill dome holes....I will update when mounted

BTW, If you wanted to use your dc5-r upper strut brace, Look into a ep3 master cyclinder....they have a displaced brake resawar.......just a though.....:D
Haha I wouldn't notice a difference with or without it. Maybe one day when I actually mess with the car. Thanks.

·
Modelrator
11,650,298 Posts
found this in the crsx jdm chat thread.

QUOTE=Importtuner;28456206]Argh, everyone stop. Chota needs to educate again...

Here's the thing with the Type-R chassis...it's the same. Stop with this "It's got more seam/stitch welds" bs. This was the case with the EK9 and DC2 since the Type-R came out after the initial chassis release. The standard DC and EK chassis were not rigid enough for Honda's standards and they had to increase the rigidity more to get it to their level. Hence why the EK9 and DC2 both have more stitch welds, thicker rear sub frames, thicker rear shock tower gussets, and lots of other beefed up rear chassis points.

With the DC5, it came out with the Type-R model being released in conjunction with the base model. Meaning the chassis is the same. Honda even states this by saying the "white body is the same." 'White body' meaning the bare chassis.

Now what Sunkist thinks is extra stitch welding is something else...

Here is the 02-04 DC5 Chassis, Type-R model is shown with it's extra bolt on reinforcements.

You can see here that it's the same chassis with just different reinforcements and lighter parts installed when compared to the base model.

In Sunkist's horrible pictures (no offense), you can see a different image of the DC5 chassis. If you notice closely, his literature is on the 05-06 Integra Type-R (kouki).

The picture of the chassis shows the 05-06 Type-R chassis and the changes Honda has made in comparison to the 02-04.

Here is the picture Sunkist is trying to show you in all it's glory. Now the part that he thinks is extra welding is actually something else.

I had all of the text translated quite some time ago by my JDM friend, Junpei, the only difference between this 05-06 Type-R diagram and the 02-04 Type-R diagram is as follows:

-The 05-06 Type-R has a beefed up front strut tower bar (also the same one you find on the USDM 05-06 Type-S).

-The 05-06 Type-R has a beefed up front subframe brace (also the same one you find on the USDM 05-06 Type-S).

-The rear shock tower bar has end brackets that now are not only fastened to the floor but also to the sides of the chassis. Anyone with an 05-06 Type-S, if you lift up your hatch carpet and look at those brackets bolted to your rear upper shock mounts, you'll see the brackets have small 10mm bolts that fasten it to the side of the chassis. You guys lack the bar that connects these brackets but the brackets are still there none the less. You can actually get the connecting piece to join the brackets from ICB.

Now the moment you've all been waiting for....

The chassis on the 05-06 has thicker portions on it, in two particular areas.

1) The front strut towers have more body material.
2) The rear shock towers have more body material.

That's it, and guess what, Honda did this for all 05-06 Type-R/Type-S chassis. So there you have, quit crying about extra stitch welds and other BS. If you have an 05-06 Type-S, you can see these extra things done to the chassis.

02-04 DC5 chassis is all the same, 05-06 DC5 chassis is all the same.

For the 02-04 guys who want to get that extra increase in rigidity.

Front:

1) Keep the 02-04 factory strut tower bar and run the Mugen bar in conjunction with it. This will stiffen up the front more then just the larger 05-06 bar.
2) Run the larger 05-06 front subframe brace.

Rear:

1) Run the 02-04 rear Type-R connecting bar, you can get it from ICB
2) Run the Mugen rear mid bar
3) Get custom made suspension with the rear shock tower hats in two pieces to bolt in from the top and bottom of the chassis to thicken it up. This is a bit overkill and probably not worth it for 99.99% of the members.

Also there is a mistake on the 02-04 Type-R chassis diagram, it doesn't show the front subframe brace, the 02-04 Type-R did have one, just it's not displayed on the diagram. You can see it though on the 05-06 Type-R diagram.

Now you can all sleep better at night.[/QUOTE]

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
think about the rear gussets and cross bar as well....I have the 05 type-s gussets and they are much thincker than the earlier dc5 ones. I am waiting on the cross bar and then I will write that one up here as well.

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have seen the pics but I had not see that thread.....I would love to know what those bars are that are down by the door cills....I saw a set of blox braces that were on a jdm sight but I could not see where they are attached....I think they blt in below the rear subframe and to one of them rear trailing arms attachment points.

1 - 20 of 239 Posts