·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
a hardwear store is your friend.......:D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Installed the front lower brace and rear gussets + tie bar this weekend. Still not sure if I'm going to do the floor bar or not. Does anyone have any feed back on the floor bar? Any noticeable improvement or is it just a lighter bar?

Any way a few notes on the install for anyone who hasn't done it yet.

Front Lower Brace
- Remove the 4 bolts that attache the bar (2 @ both ends) first. This gives you better access to the 2 bolts that attach the heat shield.
- If you have an after market intake you can get to the heat shield bolt near the transmission from top with a 1/4" ratchet and 10mm socket. If you have a ratcheting 10mm wrench that would be the best to use.
- For the heat shield bolt on the other side you can access it from the passenger side wheel well. You'll just need a socket extension to reach it.
- Same for the install, install the heat shield bolts first, then the main bolts to hold it on. Torque the 4 end bolts to 22 ft/lbs.

Rear Gussets
- The holes for the wire clips don't line up perfectly. Once you have the strut bolts and the child restraint bolt out you can place the gussets. Clip the orange connector back in first before installing the restraint bolt or strut nuts. For the wire clip on the other side you will need to open up the hole for the clip to fit back in. Your other option is to just not clip it in or secure it another way or not at all.
- Tighten down the child restraint bolt hand tight. Then tighten down the strut bolts and torque to 43 ft/lbs. Now tighten down the child safety tie down and tighten to 16 ft/lbs. Make sure they are still allowed to rotate.
- I'll look at the receipt for the bolts I bought for the bar install later and post the size here. You also need a flat washer and a lock washer.
- I'll take some pics of the trimmed interior pieces too so people can see where to trim to have them fit over the gussets and bar.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was looking through the shop manual this weekend and found this picture.

It looks like canada got the same gussets that the EDM type-R got (based on the looks). Also for the bar that the usdm cars it looks like there is a bracket that the bar attaches to on both sides. If someone can source that part from a JDM ITR then we can probable solve the issue with it not lining up perfectly.... may not be worth the cost though when you can guy a longer bolt and make some spaces out of washers (not sure if that its as stable though).

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Installed the front lower brace and rear gussets + tie bar this weekend. Still not sure if I'm going to do the floor bar or not. Does anyone have any feed back on the floor bar? Any noticeable improvement or is it just a lighter bar?

Any way a few notes on the install for anyone who hasn't done it yet.

Front Lower Brace
- Remove the 4 bolts that attache the bar (2 @ both ends) first. This gives you better access to the 2 bolts that attach the heat shield.
- If you have an after market intake you can get to the heat shield bolt near the transmission from top with a 1/4" ratchet and 10mm socket. If you have a ratcheting 10mm wrench that would be the best to use.
- For the heat shield bolt on the other side you can access it from the passenger side wheel well. You'll just need a socket extension to reach it.
- Same for the install, install the heat shield bolts first, then the main bolts to hold it on. Torque the 4 end bolts to 22 ft/lbs.

Rear Gussets
- The holes for the wire clips don't line up perfectly. Once you have the strut bolts and the child restraint bolt out you can place the gussets. Clip the orange connector back in first before installing the restraint bolt or strut nuts. For the wire clip on the other side you will need to open up the hole for the clip to fit back in. Your other option is to just not clip it in or secure it another way or not at all.
- Tighten down the child restraint bolt hand tight. Then tighten down the strut bolts and torque to 43 ft/lbs. Now tighten down the child safety tie down and tighten to 16 ft/lbs. Make sure they are still allowed to rotate.
- I'll look at the receipt for the bolts I bought for the bar install later and post the size here. You also need a flat washer and a lock washer.
- I'll take some pics of the trimmed interior pieces too so people can see where to trim to have them fit over the gussets and bar.
I think the al dc5-r floor car does the most, it prevents flex across the floor pan.

·
Poetic Finesse
1,457 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I ran into an issue installing the front sub-frame brace. I managed to get all the bolts loose except for the one under the heat shield on the driver side....that is one fucked-up place to put a bolt :firemad:. Right on top of the tranny mount :face:. I stripped the bolt trying to get it off so my question is would it be bad news if I just cut that small piece of the heat shield off? I assume most of the bracing is done at the 2 bolts on each end :dontknow:

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
its doable

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I ran into an issue installing the front sub-frame brace. I managed to get all the bolts loose except for the one under the heat shield on the driver side....that is one fucked-up place to put a bolt :firemad:. Right on top of the tranny mount :face:. I stripped the bolt trying to get it off so my question is would it be bad news if I just cut that small piece of the heat shield off? I assume most of the bracing is done at the 2 bolts on each end :dontknow:
The heat shield will rattle noisily. Cut it then secure it to the brace by other means. The heatshield is made of thin, flimsy steel. Cutting it will not effect chasis rigidity.

·
Registered
56 Posts
lookie what came in today....
here are the 05 type-s strut gussets and the type-r cross bar and the under rear seat al brace....

this pic shows how thick the gusset is

and this shot shows the end of the seat brace...

:run:
Hi mustclime, what is the part number of the bar that goes underneath the seat? I found the p/n for the rear gaussets and the bar that goes to the front sub frame.

I'm really new to ep3 (just got it 2 weeks ago), so this is all new to me. I just ordered the rear sway for type s to go with all these.

Thanks for the help.

Wayne

·
Registered
56 Posts
wish me luck. I just found a ebay seller in UK parting out EP3 type R and JDM DC5R. He just sold me the brace under the seat and the rear brace that connects the gaussette shipped to my house for $155 USD.

201 - 220 of 239 Posts