Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i guess this comes under car care....is there something to put on the rubbers that are exposed to the sun to stop it from fading....i was debating or thinking of a way to stain it black again?? must be something out there...if any suggestions...let me know...no real rush.thanks

·
Pancakes
5,343 Posts
I really hope you don't mean condoms, you are supposed to keep those out of the sun. However, if you mean the black rubber and black plastic trim, I used mothers back-to-black. It worked really well and looks good. I did a little portion and then waited a week and washed the car just to make sure it wouldn't come back off like armor-all. So far so good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
idk...the rubber condoms that i use handle in the sun no problem....special...but yeah....everything sounds good....probably search around for the stuff you guys recommended...and....that autopia site above...is that dye kit good?? or u jus seen it..anyways thanks a lot...to me the little things count..

·
997 C4S
11,065 Posts
i guess this comes under car care....is there something to put on the rubbers that are exposed to the sun to stop it from fading....i was debating or thinking of a way to stain it black again?? must be something out there...if any suggestions...let me know...no real rush.thanks
To help bring back the color in faded trim, pick up a bottle of Mother's Back-To-Black. It's extremely straightforward to use, and should be readily available at any auto or hardware store. It is temporary however, so chances are good that you'll need to reapply it after every car wash.

As for protecting trim pieces (and interior panels), I've always been a fan of 303 Aerospace protectant, and Vinylex from Lexol. Vinylex tends to be more water resistant, and being from Hawaii myself, I'm all too familiar with our unique climate conditions (morning and evening showers, massive UV exposure). Vinylex will still "run" after driving through the rain, but not nearly as easily as 303.

I've played with a product called BlackWow on my other vehicles, and I have to say that it tends to have the best moisture resistance. I'm not sure if it has any protective qualities like 303 does however. It's similar to Back-To-Black because it's primarily used to darken faded trim, but BlackWow is extremely difficult to find locally.

EDIT: If you live on Oahu, check out http://www.pakshak.com/ The owner (Ranney) is an outstanding individual who goes to extreme lengths to take care of his customers. You'll see that his prices will rival any of the major car-care sites (ie. Autopia), but since he's local, you don't have to deal with the insane shipping rates to Hawaii. Case in point: I purchased my Flex XC3401 VRG buffer for about $240 through Ranney. Autogeek.net sells it for $353.94/shipped to Hawaii

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah...i tried mothers back to black, and wasnt really impressed with it....came off super quick....was reading around and found out that something called black again has been seen to be the best....never had it in town, so ordered it off line for a total of 13 dollars...so next car wash ill try it out....let u know.....but yeah dont live on oahu unfortuantely...stay located on the big island....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts