Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
teg boi
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im interested of knowing what you guys have to say about these tires ? from experience or from reading, which one would you personally choose and why ?

from what i read:

Falken azenis cons- suck in rain, wears down quick, heats up quickly on the track, noisy, limited size

pros- sticky in dry, cheap, one of the best tires in the dry,

s03 cons - not as much dry traction compared to azenis, pricey

pros - long tread life, great in wet, sticky in dry ( little less than azenis ), quiet, good all season tire cept snow of course, holds up well in autox/road racing.

thanks

·
walks softly
127 Posts
You've pretty much nailed the pro's/con's list. What you have gathered is correct.
If cost is an issue go with Azenis. If you only use one tire for everything go with S03's. Keeping in mind S03's have a dual compound (uni-t), the more they wear the stickier they get. Azenis will tend to overheat, especially with two drivers on a autocross course.
If you were asking this seasoned autocrosser, my pick would be S03's.

·
teg boi
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keeping in mind S03's have a dual compound (uni-t), the more they wear the stickier they get
that i didnt know... but now i know, ohh its coming to me. no wonder ppl are saying that they are getting more grip as they wear them down... but only in the dry =P

thx !

·
EOS
1,749 Posts
Eh, people may say that the azenis suck ass in the rain, but thats really only after they get down to a certain point...and at that point pretty much any tire would suck.

It's been my personal experience along with alot of other azeni users that they're actually not as bad as people say during the wet...shit a helluva lot better than the stock michellins in the rain. What really gets me about the azenis though is the wear (i do drive like a bastard), the noisiness (they howl above 60mph), and the limited size. They're also a little heavier if you're a rotational mass freak.

My plans are to buy 17"s w/ all seasons for daily driving and swap em' out w/ my stockers wrapped in azenis....b/c while they are tolerable for daily driving, I'd much rather save them for the track. One thing about the azenis thats really hard to beat is 4 shipped to my door for 290, providing a massive amount of grip when they're on.

S03's...never had a chance to use em' but the potenzas that come stock on the wrx suck ass, and i really mean...suck ass. I've heard alot of good things about em' tho....this is the tire on the stock pre 04' s2k's correct? Oh well....if you're doing a fair amount of daily driving then get the s03's...if you're an autocross freak then get the azenis. Honestly at every event I go to at LEAST 3/4 of the participants there are on azenis, if not r compounds. Trust me, get a ride or drive a car w/ azenis and it will definitely make you think....

·
Royale with cheese.
2,140 Posts
i have the potenzas on my car.

best tire hands down, traction is amazing, wet or dry, i really cant even bark these tires they are so damn sticky. best tire i have ever seen.

·
walks softly
127 Posts
Azenis aren't bad at all in any condition. I've even driven on a set for a week in the winter while waiting for all seasons. No snow but very cold salty asphalt. As long as I didn't do anything stuid I was fine.

FYI the tires that came on pre 04 S2K's are S02. And those are a special compound and sizing specifically for that car. STS guys take note... a S2K specific 225/50-16 S02 is more along the width of a 245. TireRack stocks the tires but they are pricey, I think more so than the S03. But a great tire, I'd pick those over the S03 in the dry.

The Potenzas on the WRX are not S03's. I do not think any car comes with S03's OEM.

The reality is that the Azenis saving grace is cost, heads up the two tires will turn in similar times. I will have to look through past results but I'm sure the last couple STS national champs were on S03's.

·
EOS
1,749 Posts
Ahhh yea the s02's...i remember hearing the ones on the s2k were for just the s2k, didn't know what made em' special though. I'd have to say the saving grace for the azenis isn't JUST the cost, it's the cost and the amount of grip they provide for the cost...which truely is unbeatable. 200 wear though...some dude on ephatch had a set and after really aggressive canyon driving for two weeks they were fucking BALD! I got my first set back in april of 03, and now after about 8 events (usually about 8 45-55 second runs), numerous trips from SA to houston and back (200 miles one way) Im having to replace em', all though I'm sure I could wear em' down to the bone and still sorta make it around for daily driving. The noise on the long trips is absolutely unbearlable though...have to turn my music UP

*off topic* How does the so3 stack up to the avs es 100?

·
Premium Member
44,375 Posts
get the s03 from tirerack.com, they will be about $120 to $130 each. extremely reasonable. they have more traction in the dry than you will need. their wet traction is outstanding.

the only down side is they can have lots of road noise about 1/2 way through the tread life.

keep them rotated and they will last 20k. i'm on my second set. they own falkens.

·
teg boi
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not think any car comes with S03's OEM.
im not too positive but i know some cars come in s03's stock...

i think* they are g35, nsx, and 350z...

azenis heat up after a few laps i heard, and i heard that s03's hold up qiute well on the tracks.

·
Long Member
5,429 Posts
Kumho Ecsta Supra 712...

Great on dry, great in rain...decent treadwear...and cheap....

·
walks softly
127 Posts
I meant cost for the amount of grip. It is the cheapest single purpose tire. Other than dry grip it isn't good for much else but being black, round and holding air. The S03 is all around a better tire. As fast as an Azenis and more useful. Who wants to change street tires to "sticky" street tires for an event?

More on S02's. If you look at a S2k specific S02. The front tire marked 205/55-16 has an actual width more like a 195 and has very broad sipes, meaning less actual rubber in the contact patch. The rear marked 225/50-16 measures more like a 245 and has thin sipes, meaning more actual rubber in the contact patch. (I know because I've owned and raced a S2000) The tires were designed by Bridgestone specifically to meet the needs of Hondas suspension tuning(sic) Little did they know that we would put "realistic" sized tires on them and mess up the balance something fierce.

Treadwear is an arbitrary number. There is no standard to measure treadwear so the numbers posted on tires are worthless unless you are comparing tires from the same manufacturer. Azenis have a "200" treadwear so they can safely meet the "street tire" defining standards set by the SCCA and that's what they gloat. I'm sure a lot more tires have a questionable rating... S03, S02, Gforce KD, etc.

Oh and as HH says... I've been very impressed with the ES712. Good cheap tire.

·
teg boi
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kumho Ecsta Supra 712...

Great on dry, great in rain...decent treadwear...and cheap....
heard good things about them holding up well in the rain :thumbsup:

but heard things like loud tire noises at certain speeds. bang for the buck !

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm on my second set of S-03's. I got 12,000 miles on my first set which included about 8 track days and numerous canyon runs. One of the great features is their sidewall strength as well as massive grip. But they are expensive. Has anyone had the S-03's and the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's who can give a direct comparison regarding grip, noise and sidewall strength?

·
teg boi
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm on my second set of S-03's. I got 12,000 miles on my first set which included about 8 track days and numerous canyon runs. One of the great features is their sidewall strength as well as massive grip. But they are expensive. Has anyone had the S-03's and the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's who can give a direct comparison regarding grip, noise and sidewall strength?
i have never driven cars with these tires but i heard the 712's are noisy and dont have much grip as the s03's in the dry/wet

s03 are expensive but they do last quite a long time... other than autox or road racing with them

·
Premium Member
44,375 Posts
what do you guys consider expensive? from tirerack, the s03 is $120 to $130 USD per tire add $30 or so for shipping, and that's a fucking steal.

·
Long Member
5,429 Posts
ronin_asano said:
what do you guys consider expensive? from tirerack, the s03 is $120 to $130 USD per tire add $30 or so for shipping, and that's a fucking steal.

...the Kumho 712s are like $75-$85 each....that's a big difference on 4 tires...and the Kumhos are a great tire....I tracked and auto-xed with them.

·
Premium Member
44,375 Posts
unless they changed it for 2004, no they don't. the s2k came with potenza S02's.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts