Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After being a loyal Honda/Acura junkie for years, I finally had to leave the platform. Had a 92 Si hatch which was stolen, recovered, but totalled. Replaced it with an 03 SSM RSX-S, which I loved. It was my DD, so the mods weren't extensive, but had intake, RBC, exhaust, prokits w/ konis, KPro, full A/V makeover, etc.

Cosmetic mods were few and far between. Had Depo black housing headlights, slight drop w/ prokits. Had just gotten an Aspec high spoiler and lip kit that were to go on next.

Test fitting the Kosei K1 Racing wheels that I drove from Delaware to Massachusetts to buy.:dontknow:

Last fall, the RSX was stolen from in front of my apartment building. If those reading this post take nothing else from it, let it be the following: In the RSX, the horn is the only thing that makes noise from the factory alarm going off. The horn is physically located directly behind the driver side foglight. The thieves popped off the foglight, unplugged the horn, then could break the rear quarter glass and open the door without the car making any noise. I believe they then took off the e-brake, took it out of gear, and towed it away. Lesson: get an aftermarket alarm with an extra siren and a battery backup, or at the very least, relocate the horn somewhere less accessible behind the bumper.
It was recovered less than 36hrs later, stripped of just about everything of value and dumped on a side street about 10 miles from where it was taken.

It was considered a total loss by the insurance company, which didn't surprise me at all. What did surprise me is the amount of money they wanted to buy the shell back from them. As an enthusiast, my first idea was to buy the shell back and use the remaining money to build the car back up better than before. My insurance company wanted what I considered a ridiculous amount of money for what was left, something like $5500.

Thankfully, I had full coverage on it, so I wasn't left completely out to dry. However, as we all know, all the money I had put into the car was a complete loss. In the event of a total loss, only the expected resale value of the car as a whole is considered for the purposes of insurance payment. It is common knowledge that the modifications we do to our cars do NOT add resale value. If anything, they actually reduce the resale value, as a car would be returned to "stock" to be sold at most car dealerships, and it's their numbers that the insurance companies use.

I considered buying another RSX-S since I loved the last one so much. I originally bought the RSX because it was the smart choice for me as a car to personalize. I live in an area that gets snow, and needed my project car to reliably get me to work for all 4 seasons. Instead, I decided to change to a slightly less "practical" platform while I still can. In 5 years, I'll most likely be looking at a family car, so it was sort of a "now or never" situation when considering the purchase of a RWD 2 seater. I chose the now option. :thumbsup:

I don't think I'll ever stop singing the praises of Honda/Acura in general. They're generally fantastic cars. Not many other carmakers can boast the same levels of reliability, cost effectiveness, fuel economy, retained value, and customizability. Even though I've gone to another maker myself, I couldn't resist picking the Honda Fit when shopping for a car for my girlfriend.

I don't mean for this post to be a "here, look at my sob story" post. I wanted to share my reason for leaving, but MOST importantly, I wanted to take the time to thank the members of this forum and the Honda/Acura community in general. This particular forum really is a wealth of information for anyone doing their homework, and the community in general really lends itself to educating and helping enthusiasts with what is commonly their first platform in a life of car modification and personalization. Many thanks to all the gurus that take the time to share the knowledge they accumulate with the rest of us. I'm sure I'll still visit from time to time, if for no other reason than to stop by the AV forum and see what advice guys like Locotony and Eggyhustles have to offer on new hardware.

/Rant off. Thanks to all for reading and best wishes. On a side note, I'll be posting up a for sale thread soon, most likely in the "partouts" section, listing all the things I have left, or hadn't made it onto the car yet. If it'll let me, I'll edit a link to that thread into this thread once I get all the pictures taken and prices set.

·
Lurker since 06
2,093 Posts
Sucks about your car.
Fucking thieves.

Have a good one man.

·
Registered
487 Posts
you should part out your black interior, among other things, for some extra $$$. some people on here would pay a lot for it...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Sorry to hear about everything, but good luck... luckily you had full coverage. I know you said RWD, but what exactly are you planning on getting next?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the amount I got for the car itself was pretty fair... not great, but fair. Sadly, I didn't get to salvage much of the interior before insurance took possession of the car. I think all I have left is a shift boot, shift knob, and fog light button. :rotfl: I ended up replacing the RSX with a 350z.

·
=D
1,136 Posts
Sad to see.... But this is another reason y I'm soon to be leaving the Honda game!

Good luck bro with the 350z :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Fucking thieves dude, scares the shit out of me every night... It truly sucks to hear this happened to yet another RSX which means these assholes are just waiting and targetting the K20 bearing cars nowadays just to get the damn swap.. I hope your next car gets better luck with thieves or you should look into moving away or getting a garage because thats the 2nd car. Anyways, it sucks to hear that and good luck man.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like someone said... it really hurts to see the "raped" car that once looked so awesome.
I surely hope those that damn thieves will burn in hell.

So, other than relocating the factory horn (or other than selling RSX or moving, etc.), what else can we do to protect our RSX from the thieves?
If the thieves use a tow truck, I'm thinking a really loud aftermarket alarm would be the only choice. Any other idea?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Like someone said... it really hurts to see the "raped" car that once looked so awesome.
I surely hope those that damn thieves will burn in hell.

So, other than relocating the factory horn (or other than selling RSX or moving, etc.), what else can we do to protect our RSX from the thieves?
If the thieves use a tow truck, I'm thinking a really loud aftermarket alarm would be the only choice. Any other idea?
In theory, even if you have an aftermarket alarm they can TOW the car off on a flatbed without ever setting the alarm off.. As long as they dont open the car or bang on it or stand next to the window (if you happen to have proximity sensor) it wont go off...

·
bum tumblr-er
1,115 Posts
you should part out your black interior, among other things, for some extra $$$. some people on here would pay a lot for it...
x2

Good luck with the Z man. I want one so bad haha.

·
Registered
15,360 Posts
In theory, even if you have an aftermarket alarm they can TOW the car off on a flatbed without ever setting the alarm off.. As long as they dont open the car or bang on it or stand next to the window (if you happen to have proximity sensor) it wont go off...
Many aftermarket alarms come with a tilt sensor that will go off if the car changes its level from when parked (different slope) so it would go off on a tow truck

Frankly, though, I'd say once its on a tow truck it's over regardless of whether the alarm is going off

To make it more difficult to tow, I would park normally (not backing in) and turn the steering wheel hard to one direction and make sure it locks. This way the car will want to make a big cirlce rather than go straight onto a flatbed

·
Registered
16 Posts
To make it more difficult to tow, I would park normally (not backing in) and turn the steering wheel hard to one direction and make sure it locks. This way the car will want to make a big cirlce rather than go straight onto a flatbed
Good point!
That's what I wanted to hear.
Thanks for sharing the idea.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fucking thieves dude, scares the shit out of me every night... It truly sucks to hear this happened to yet another RSX which means these assholes are just waiting and targetting the K20 bearing cars nowadays just to get the damn swap.. I hope your next car gets better luck with thieves or you should look into moving away or getting a garage because thats the 2nd car. Anyways, it sucks to hear that and good luck man.
Yeah, both the cop who took the report and the ex-cop who was working at the junkyard where they towed the car said the same thing... that the thieves very clearly had a shopping list, and needed that specific motor. I guess all the other goodies I had in the car was just the icing on their cake? I just wanted everyone to be aware, because I was not, that the factory alarm, while better than nothing, is NOT really good enough. Before I even brought the Z home I had a 2-way alarm with all the bells and whistles installed. Oh, and I did move. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts