Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So when I go into long curves fast or accelerate through curves, the ass end of the rsx gets squirrely and feels like I'm gonna lose it. What things can I get or do to help besides getting coil-overs or lowering the car? Would a Rear or Front Upper Strut Bar help?

By the way I have an 05 RSX type-s and everything about the suspension is stock. And I do have some really good tires too.

Sorry for the noob question and Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Forever Slow
7,740 Posts
Sway bars will help. Strut bars are mostly for show. I never felt a difference with them but sway there is a difference in handling.

·
Registered
61,559 Posts
Sounds like he already has a rear sway. A big one.. My rsx never got tail happy until I put my progess 24mm rear on

·
Pancakes
5,343 Posts
Slow down a little. I'm willing to bet you're trying to go 90mph on a freeway on-ramp or something.

·
Registered
607 Posts
So when I go into long curves fast or accelerate through curves, the ass end of the rsx gets squirrely and feels like I'm gonna lose it. What things can I get or do to help besides getting coil-overs or lowering the car? Would a Rear or Front Upper Strut Bar help?

By the way I have an 05 RSX type-s and everything about the suspension is stock. And I do have some really good tires too.

Sorry for the noob question and Thanks in advance for your help.
something doesn't add up, a stock RSX (I didn't notice him mentioning a big rear sway) will not normally exhibit oversteer at the limit ("rear end gets squirrely")
Check tire pressures and alignment and check for broken or bent suspension, or a blown shock. I assume you have four decent matching tires and stock wheels.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said everything about the suspension is stock, stock wheels too, and good tires with proper psi, and alignment is good. I don't have any sway bars or strut bars. And I know how to drive. I live in Germany at the moment and there's alot of curves and it's great fun to go out and drive in the country side. I just wanted to know what to do to get better performance out of my suspension to really get after those curves. It just feels like the ass end is sloppy in curves, like it wants to do its own thing, if that makes sense. And don't tell me I need driving lessons, I know how to drive.

·
I don't care
843 Posts
coilovers,sway bars. adjust camber done deal. watch for others on the road

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
Define sloppy please. With out actually identifying what the car is actually doing it will be next to impossible to help you. Also, list what you, the driver, are doing when this happens. Never rule out driver error, no matter how good of a driver you may be.

For example: is the car trying to oversteer or understeer? and are you adding in throttle or coming off the throttle when it happens.

·
I don't care
843 Posts
or does the rear end feel like its swaying back and forth? maybe your tires are "good" but are they rated for that kind of abuse? my car does that also but i have strictly winter tires(Firestone winterforce) on and they arent exactly speed rated so i calm down with my driving when my winter setup is on.

·
Bone Stock
196 Posts
Lifting off the throttle in the turn? This was a sure way to get the ass end of my old hatch to step out. I haven't really driven my RSX at the limit so I can't say if it would do the same, but just thought this may be your issue as well.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Off throttle over steer is certainly an issue with this car, more than the average FWD.

However, once I noticed that I kept my throttle the same in a 90 corner and w/o understeering first, the rear end slid slightly and I had to countersteer lightly to control it. this is with -1.4 camber front and -1.5 camber rear. 34 PSI front 36 rear. Aspec suspension

as I autocross more I'll figure it out. not sure if I want to get a rear camber kit to bring it to 1.

·
3,651 Posts
Like I said everything about the suspension is stock, stock wheels too, and good tires with proper psi, and alignment is good. I don't have any sway bars or strut bars. And I know how to drive. I live in Germany at the moment and there's alot of curves and it's great fun to go out and drive in the country side. I just wanted to know what to do to get better performance out of my suspension to really get after those curves. It just feels like the ass end is sloppy in curves, like it wants to do its own thing, if that makes sense. And don't tell me I need driving lessons, I know how to drive.
lol this description is too subjective. What are good tires? proper psi? and good alignment?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
coilovers,sway bars. adjust camber done deal. watch for others on the road
No, adding parts is not a solution and will only make things worse. People want to throw parts at cars when they think something is "wrong" with handling when majority of the time, it is driver error.

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
I don't think anything is wrong. Just want to get better performance from suspension
Better tires & proper alignment. Problem solved.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I don't think anything is wrong. Just want to get better performance from suspension
Not to be an ass, but your first post said NOTHING about improving performance. You started this thread saying that the car was "squirrly" and you wanted to fix it. And now you are changing your story?

First, what do you want help with?

Second, what do you want to accomplish?

Third, prove to us that you know how to "drive", because what you are saying so far still leads most of the experienced people (zzyzx, shatteredmonkey, viccath) here to believe that driver error has been the cause of your problems. People think they know how to drive, but they really don't. I am not saying I know how to drive well, but I've experienced drivers who do and I know I am not one of them and most people aren't.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts