Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey yo, i will be building a new car soon i just baught a k20a and have planned to swap it into a DC5 for about a year now but lately i have been reading into other chassis and i know hte DC5 isnt the best chassis. I know when it comes down to it, those shitty EG hatches are good, and crx's and all those shitty ones. But i read some guy said the FD2 does 4 seconds better than the dc5 on Suzuka? wtf? I also know the DC2-Rs and just as good as the DC5-r's. how do all these chassis compare ( dc5, dc2, ep3, fd2)? and is the s2000 that much better?

·
Engineering
25,578 Posts
DC5/EP3 are at the bottom of your list lol. the newer cars and the older cars do much better. and the s2k is a very well built machine.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hey yo, i will be building a new car soon i just baught a k20a and have planned to swap it into a DC5 for about a year now but lately i have been reading into other chassis and i know hte DC5 isnt the best chassis. I know when it comes down to it, those shitty EG hatches are good, and crx's and all those shitty ones. But i read some guy said the FD2 does 4 seconds better than the dc5 on Suzuka? wtf? I also know the DC2-Rs and just as good as the DC5-r's. how do all these chassis compare ( dc5, dc2, ep3, fd2)? and is the s2000 that much better?
http://www.gtchannel.com/content.php?cid=12212
http://www.gtchannel.com/content.php?cid=12210

Videos on a structural and suspension comparison between the FD2R and DC5R by Spoon. I wish we could get stroke sensors.

There is also an video battle of an Spoon FD2R vs Spoon DC5R available if you want it. Although that comparison isn't a fair assessment because the DC5 has been tuned for years while the FD2 was relatively new. FD2 won the race, but DC5 netted slightly faster lap times. Probably due to too much bounce in FD2's rear suspension setting.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There's allready a one make race in japan with the fd2r, all developed and built by mugen. Teams buy these pre-built cars and race them (including spoon).

And its so much better than the previous EP3/DC5.

Some say that the rear suspension isnt as good but at front is much better designed and overall chassis is also better.

And theres allready FD2's racing in other places like malasya, macau, australia

·
CHEAP TRACKDAYS WANTED
1,120 Posts
i've seen the Best Motoring vid for the fd2. whole new chassis construction going on. 50% more rigid than DC5 type R. pretty stiff for a 4 door!

·
DC5 Krew
2,827 Posts
yea u should put it in a dc2 type r if u can find one

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
I have found that most of the people that are down on the dc5/ep3 suspension designs have not really looked at the changes....

Add some caster in the ft, stiffen up the bushings,springs and shocks and maybe relocate the rear shock and you have a fg2 that weighs 100 lbs less.:shady:

·
Engineering
25,578 Posts
i have looked at it and i'm still gonna say i'm outdone by the newer and older cars. but that just means it's more of a challenge for me to beat them :vtec:

·
2 trunks = twice the fun!
1,020 Posts
I'd put it into a DC2.

-Dan!!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I have found that most of the people that are down on the dc5/ep3 suspension designs have not really looked at the changes....

Add some caster in the ft, stiffen up the bushings,springs and shocks and maybe relocate the rear shock and you have a fg2 that weighs 100 lbs less.:shady:
The photos from Vtec.net when FG2 first came out. I've seen them. But the 01 Civic suspension isn't the exact same as the EP3/DC5 is it? Also I was under the impression there wasn't enough room in the rear to duplicate exactly what the FG2 does in the rear. Never actually tried though. Although all BMI's complaints about DC5 and EP3 were always not enough stroke in the suspension, which the picture clearly illustrates. I just always thought constraints of space wouldn't allow radical changes in design. The only thing of your suggestions I haven't really seen is relocating the rear shock. Can you provide more info on that one?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
s2k>FD2>Dc2>Dc5>ep3 ????? have the k20a in my garage so part of me wants to just get going and build a dc5 because i just love the car. The other part of me wants an s2k because they are just sikk but i feel like they are not as much of a JDM toy as the RSX but then again i dont know as much about the s2k as i do the dc5. I dont know i guess im just lookin for some input that will make me sway one way or another..this is not a daily driver by the way.

what chassis do you guys usually get beat by?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
s2k>FD2>Dc2>Dc5>ep3 ????? have the k20a in my garage so part of me wants to just get going and build a ..........what chassis do you guys usually get beat by?
Most of us usually get beat by the chassis with the better driver in it.:shady:

·
Engineering
25,578 Posts
haha or the faster car. there's no doubt with a stock k20 motor in an EG and a stock k20 motor in the RSX, the EG will win. lighter cars, better drivers, always beat me...

·
Registered
636 Posts
What application will the car be used for?
drag racing, road racing, etc..

If its road racing your best bet is to get out there and start driving first and go from there.
I hear a lot of people saying how they want to race BUT they are building their car first...
Whats the point of building a full race car when your first day will be in hpde 1 and you will get passed by a stock car.

When it comes down to it, the better DRIVER will do better.
Your in Arizona, come out and drive with us in NASA/CRA.

·
Engineering
25,578 Posts

If its road racing your best bet is to get out there and start driving first and go from there.
I hear a lot of people saying how they want to race BUT they are building their car first...
Whats the point of building a full race car when your first day will be in hpde 1 and you will get passed by a stock car.

QFT :laughing:

·
Registered
9,859 Posts

LOL!!
+ rep Mando!!!!

BTW: yesterday during a lapping session, i learned something new.

People that go in fast-modified Porsches, running r-comps have big egos. Because they don't let me pass!! And they just walk away in the straights - a very fast, power-walking pace.

·
Time to Play
845 Posts

People that go in fast-modified Porsches, running r-comps have big egos. Because they don't let me pass!! And they just walk away in the straights - a very fast, power-walking pace.
I understand your pain!! Happens to me all the time.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
LOL!!
+ rep Mando!!!!

Welcome to the land of momentum drivers, the place of the high hp low talent vs. low hp more talent Yo-Yo.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts