Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't specific to RSX but carries over to anyone modifying a Honda.

I have Ktuner in a swapped Insight for K24a2. It fires in neutral on the basemap but it's still months from completion. A fellow swapper on the internets got his started sooner and finished ahead of me with nearly identical specs of a stock with mild bolt ons k24a2 but on Kpro. His expertise in tuning is far ahead of mine so he sent me his tune file and his car runs great. What is the feasibility of taking his Kpro tables/parameters, cell by cell, and putting them into Ktuner? The more general question is can a Kpro file be manually copied if every parameter is duplicated (idle/temp compensation/knock/etc) and what hurdles will I run into? Yes, it will need to be fine tuned, at least on the A/R aspect specific to my exact engine but I don't mind a copy/paste job if it gets me 95% of the way there versus starting from scratch. This will be a relatively modest daily with AC on a budget so the last tenth of power isn't needed, just reliability and longevity. Professional custom dyno tuning was never in the cards and this guy has spent far more time than just an afternoon refining his map. I'll add fuel in the last few columns, retard timing a bit for safety and tweak from there after she's on the road provided there's no knock. The alternative is selling my harness, conversion and Ktuner and going all Kpro spec stuff, then load his map and be 95% there in one click. I'd rather avoid that even if it means tedious translation...up to a point.

*I've asked Ktuner this exact question and was given the expected response of "we cannot recommend swapping parameters between softwares" which avoids answering the question. Is my proposal theoretically sound? If not, I've got more project downtime and cost ahead of me and need to plan for whichever path makes the most sense.

Mak

·
Registered
848 Posts
It won’t work. The values between Ktuner and Kpro are very different. It seems like they use different units of measurement. Don’t remember the exact difference, but ignition and fuel numbers were much higher on Ktuner.

My question though, is why don’t you just start with the k24a2 basemap and go from there? Unless I misunderstood your post, that is your easiest option. And it’s free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I understand it for both, fuel numbers represent millisecond opening and timing is degrees BTDC. The resolution of the vertical and horizontal columns can be altered in both softwares and unit of measurement (kPa, mmHg, etc). It's little more than a customizable Excel spreadsheet that replaces lookup tables the engine uses to squirt X fuel at X rotation of the crank depending on X air/fuel ratio read by the O2 sensor. I was looking for more first hand experience in converting between the two. I can screenshot a sample map conversion soon.

As for not using the basemap and then tweak, as stated a fellow swapper has done extensive testing already and has a map that is 95% of where I want to be. Starting with his map would save countless hours of trial and error and would be in theory free as well. More importantly, his has been refined much further than a generic basetune and has more care invested than what I would receive from an E-tune service bc it's his personal car.

·
:)
15,492 Posts
I am curious in this as well. You may have to retune. But I understand what your saying. You wanna base your k tuner map off of ur old kpro map as far as fuel and ignition timing and cam angles?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct, Axix23. The fuel/ignition/cam tables part is not my true question as I'm learning both can be made to resemble each other. I can reproduce the Kpro map in Ktuner by (painstakingly) looking at cell A1 and putting that value into Ktuner cell A1 once the x and y axis values are equal such as RPM and vacuum.

My uncertainty is parameters as they are not under the same tabs or called the exact same thing between softwares. ECT temp as it relates to adding 9r subtracting fuel and ignition for instance. I'm almost positive each software has a place for these values (and all others that modify the base map value) but making sure every parameter is replicated isn't a sure thing as of yet.

I'll have to retune regardless, yes. It's always a good idea to add fuel and pull some timing when adopting someone's tuned map of a similar engine so you start safe. I'd rather start a 10 mile race at the 9.5 mark (his map) than back at the 5 mile mark (basemap) or all the way back at the start (sell everything Ktuner and buy Kpro spec harness, ECU, conversion harness, VSS converter, etc).

Mak

1 - 6 of 6 Posts