Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive had my 02 type s for like a month and a bit now and i love it. there are a few things i need to touch up on it seeing as how i bought it used . so i have a few questions for anyone who knows anything in hopes of guiding me in the right direction. Thanks for the help.

1) took my car to the mechanic first day i got it and the only problem he said needs fixing is that the brake pads i think are not pushing evenly on the brake disc( i think these are the correct terms not sure lol) so he said he can take it all apart and clean it and it should be good. With winter coming up i am really wanting to get this fixed for safety reasons obviously. i was thinking of getting jsut new brake pads all together and getting them to take it apart and clean it. Should i get new brake stuff or leave it and jsut get it cleaned, my car has 170000 on it and they have never been changed.

2) need new windshield wipers, does anyone know the measurements of the 3? and any good/bad brands i should look into/stay away from?

3) Got a crazy idea today to take out my backseats. as this car is my DD and need it to be somewhat usefull for that purpose is it practical? would it be easy to do? is there a way i could put them in if i really needed to or should i just leave them in?

4) my mechanic uses 5w30 oil and i am not sure if thats a good type of oil for our cars or what. Should i be getting him to put different oil in or should i do it myself or what?

Sorry if i reposted any of these, but i have searched and could not find the answers i am looking for. I know its a little lengthy but thanks a billion for anyone who can help me out on any of my questions.

Thanks again and happy cruising to all.

·
ciao-su!
7,796 Posts
hmm, well if you searched harder, you could find the answers you're looking for but...

1. 170k miles and no brake pad change? i'm pretty sure they've been changed before because they're probably crazy worn out by now. you should change them unless your mechanic thinks they have enough meat left (then they've probably been changed)

2. measurements:
Driver side 24"
Passenger Side 20"
Rear Wiper 20"
i recently got some bosch icons and love them. some people just buy the rubber insert things from the dealership which is cheaper

3. i personally wouldn't take them out if it's your dd. i dont really see a need to take them out if you're dd it. you never know when you might have to drive around an extra 2 people. plus folding the seats down gives a lot of trunk space already.

4. 5w30 is what's recommended for our cars. people use other grades accordingly, but 5w30 is definitely fine. i think the bigger question is what brand/type of oil is being put in

·
06 MM-S
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
1.) At that many miles, the brake pads have probably already been changed. Never hurts to change them though. Id rather stop then not.
2.)Driver side 24"
Passenger Side 20"
Rear Wiper 20"
3.)If its your DD, I wouldn't take out the back seats just in case. You never know.
4.)It is recommended we use 5w30 in our cars. I currently am using Castrol Syntec Full Sythetic, but am switching over to Royal Purple

·
EJ25 FTW
65,259 Posts
leave the backseats. It would be a bit of a hassle todo, with little accomplished for a dd. You night need to carry 3 people besides yourself, and besides, with them folded down, you can fit a 7 piece dw drumset, with hardware and cymbals, which means you have plenty of room already.

·
Registered
319 Posts
:iamwiths:
leave the backseats. It would be a bit of a hassle todo, with little accomplished for a dd. You night need to carry 3 people besides yourself, and besides, with them folded down, you can fit a 7 piece dw drumset, with hardware and cymbals, which means you have plenty of room already.
:iamwiths: Not sure why you would want to take out backseats as you won't really that much extra space from them when you can just knock them down and use them to keep anything you pack in your car on a leveled field.

·
Word
420 Posts
1. Yeah, i would definately change the brake pads if you went 170km without changing
2. Do you need to replace tehw hole windshield wiper? or just the rubber insert? the 3 rubber inserts cost like 20 bucks from the dealership
3. If you fold down your seats, you already get LOTS OF SPACE. theres really no need to take them out if this car is going to be your DD
4. 5w30 is what is supposed to be used

·
pain = gain
2,110 Posts
my last oil change on the receipt I seem to recall them using 5w20.. is there any reason to be worried of this? Just start using 5w30 on the next oil change I guess

added: actually seems that 5w20 is actually recommended so I'll just be sticking that that I reckon, this being a base may be different for Type-S

·
Naptown_Dblock_Bama_STL
868 Posts
Taking out the back seats take like 10 minutes, its like 5 screws. Putting back in takes 10 minutes. Do what you want they only weigh about 25 lbs or something

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
truee, yeah i think i will leave the seats in there i guess if it doesnt really weigh anything to take them out. and my brakes will change also too then. are the brake pads the only things i need to change or are there other components to the brakes i should look into changing. nothing too big for now just to make sure i stop lol.
and yeah changing the whole wiper, may as well.

next time i go get oil change i will ask them what they put and maybe switch to another brand like what you guys mentioned above( castorl, royal purple)

·
Registered
15,360 Posts
truee, yeah i think i will leave the seats in there i guess if it doesnt really weigh anything to take them out. and my brakes will change also too then. are the brake pads the only things i need to change or are there other components to the brakes i should look into changing. nothing too big for now just to make sure i stop lol.
and yeah changing the whole wiper, may as well.

next time i go get oil change i will ask them what they put and maybe switch to another brand like what you guys mentioned above( castorl, royal purple)
you might want them to machine your rotors, and also change the brake pads (and possibly a brake fluid change)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.