Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
^

what?

its smooth because its pressed against a mold.

same with carbon fiber, same with fiberglass.

my question is why not make it smooth on the inside?
i know it will sound stupid but it lubricates the air.

it makes the air flow faster than smooth. like the dimples on a golf ball makes it more aerodynamic than the smooth one.

the intake ports of a ported head are left unpolished for this same reason.

·
Registered
857 Posts
its call faken the funk.... f's racing intake systems or moogen intake box ect... knock off quaility rota masster emo's , replictetion racing part...helll ya

and on this

it makes the air flow faster than smooth. like the dimples on a golf ball makes it more aerodynamic than the smooth one.

then why did i / and many other pay so much money on a port and polish job ??? yeah i understand the golf ball thingy "because of rotation air forces help it keep it in fly and hang in air further" ...they why air turbine is smooth/ and mugen box is smooth????

i doubt password jdm research/race proven and develope thier parts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts

what he is trying to say is, air rides best on air (golf ball) not a smooth surface because it will create heat and unwanted turbulence. Air riding on air is also turbulence but what some would call "positive turbulence" allowing for the air to travel faster and cooler througt a given area.

Sorry I just had to chime in to help explain.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
its call faken the funk.... f's racing intake systems or moogen intake box ect... knock off quaility rota masster emo's , replictetion racing part...helll ya

and on this

then why did i / and many other pay so much money on a port and polish job ??? yeah i understand the golf ball thingy "because of rotation air forces help it keep it in fly and hang in air further" ...they why air turbine is smooth/ and mugen box is smooth????

i doubt password jdm research/race proven and develope thier parts
From my understanding a good port/polish job will not be completely smooth, but will have dimples/grooves or what every you want to call it, and also include a method of allowing the air to enter the give area at maximum speed via the porting. There are many other factors that are not mentioned or explained due to me not being 100% on the whole concept. The same concept (of not being completely smooth) also applies to intake runners because it may cause the fuel to puddle due to the lack of atomization from having the surface totally smooth.

Hope that helps

21 - 26 of 26 Posts