Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was just wondering how bad is fibreglass really?

I have the option of saving myself alot of money going OEM authentic front and sides and rear fibreglass.. I live in Toronto and the weather can be bad during winter. How resistant is fibreglass, and what other con's will i have buying fibreglass kit?

I did a bit of searching and read on some stories, some say it's fun some say it's not..

I would like to hear with the people with fibreglass kit's on and if they regret getting fibreglass or have had problems.. any other input would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

·
stop stealing my avatar!
10,884 Posts
for lips (except something low like the greddy), i'd say fibreglass is fine. for full bumpers, i'd never do it.
also, make sure it's sanded really well before painting or it'll look like crap.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't go with the fiberglass it sucks ass. I live in Idaho and we have the same shitty winters. i had a fiberglass kit on my 2000 Accord and the front bumper became an instant mangle snowplow. Don't be cheap you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thats why i was planning to get the front authentic.. hehe.. i figure the sides and rear wont be plowing anything or hitting anything.. unless of course of an car accident.. which i hope i dont get into...

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I wonder why 99.9% of aftermarket peices are made of fiberglass. Hmmmm.... Light, Strong, Repairable. Don't be a dumbass and you will be fine. I.E. driving a lowered kitted car in for then a couple inches of snow or running into shit.

Also, don't get crappy kits. P.S. I used to have a dropped rsx with a replica ings kit with no problems.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thing is toronto gets quite a bit of snow.. my only concern.

Did anyone have trouble with fitment issues when they got their replica kit

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
It really does vary with the manufacturer, so just go with the best repuatable with a reasonable price you can find. Colorado gets a bit of snow too, when i had my Type-s with full INGS replica it was fine, it did push some snow but it didnt break or anything (i also reinforceed the bottom of the bumber with metal connected to the car). Just dont smash into giant mounds of snow.

·
Banned
26,325 Posts
it depends on how the fiberglass kit is made. its very important that if you do get fiberglass to not buy the cheapest one you find. fiberglass body kits you always get what you pay for.

do not buy the crappy ass kits that you see on ebay, they are seriously junk.

a quality fiberglass kit is very flexiable, durable and shouldnt need alot of prep work.

if you need to know where to buy it from, let me know send me a pm and i'll tell you what and where to go.

·
Banned
303 Posts
I saw that rsx motorsports had the jdm replica lip kit made out of fiberglass for 379.99, you guys think that's a quality piece?

·
Banned
26,325 Posts
man its nam said:
I saw that rsx motorsports had the jdm replica lip kit made out of fiberglass for 379.99, you guys think that's a quality piece?

their kits are decently made. and not a bad price either for them either.

·
black!
3,992 Posts
888 said:
Hi guys, I was just wondering how bad is fibreglass really?

I have the option of saving myself alot of money going OEM authentic front and sides and rear fibreglass.. I live in Toronto and the weather can be bad during winter. How resistant is fibreglass, and what other con's will i have buying fibreglass kit?

I did a bit of searching and read on some stories, some say it's fun some say it's not..

I would like to hear with the people with fibreglass kit's on and if they regret getting fibreglass or have had problems.. any other input would be appreciated as well. Thanks.
well i live in toronto too... and if you get a fibreglass kit that is low to the ground.. its impossible to drive in the winter.. unless you like broken body kits... some kits would be okay... or just dont drive in the winter... thats what i do

you could go with urathane kits.. urathane is more flexible, but i heard painting on it isnt as good.. it comes out a different color, or someting like that.. you could go with pliable fibreglass/PFRP... its fibreglass just more flexible

as for replica kits.. with replica you have to take your chances.. its either going to fit well.. or not so well.. it depends on alot of things.. if you going replica at least go with a reputable company. or go with authentic... good fitment.. just that its $$$

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.