Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After so long talking about it, this is now real and works like a dream.

In this video you can see how responsive air to air is. No delay, no lag. The only thing I can say is that is has a dampened initial response, not slow but not abrupt.

Pipe and intercooler sizing is critical. If you go too big you will notice some lag as there is just way too much space to fill. For example 3" piping and a huge intercooler.

This is using my original Lysholm 1.6L blower, MercRacing (previously RedShift) air to air manifold (currently on pre purchase sale), Off the shelf intercooler system and 2.5" piping, K20z motor, K20z Crank, 3" pulley.

At this time I am not releasing any data as I am still testing various configurations, etc. But all I can say is that the temps and consistency are amazing.

Towards the end of the video, my bypass hose came loose(excuse the funny whinny sound and end)

AutoX Scca Racing Video

Good pictures and details to be released soon.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Technically, air to air cooling has been real for a while, but you're finally bringing it to market. Chris told me that you two have been working together on some tweaks to the manifold. Looks like it is paying off. Nice work :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
you owned RedShift?
No he's just talking about the manifold. Redshift did all the upfront engineering to produce the air-to-air design.

Redshift had one prototype manifold built for testing, but he couldn't secure the funding to produce them at scale.

Jose has the means to produce it so a few months ago, he bought/licensed the air to air manifold design and Redshift has been helping him finalize it for production. Hurray for K-series owners! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Awesome! I think I'm gonna have to save up for this. Held my breath for RedShift until I passed out.

Don't let us down Jose!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Awesome! I think I'm gonna have to save up for this. Held my breath for RedShift until I passed out.

Don't let us down Jose!
Same here my friend. I had the money down too. Redshift went through several prototypes and I got an in-depth look at them all. Jose definitely picked a winner so I'm excited to see the final product. :thumbsup:

·
6,734 Posts
Well, well, well. Mercado finally did it, ey? Good for you. I stopped this business AAAAA long time ago because of all the naysayers. I am glad you stuck with it. Good for you. BTW, I am being serious and not an a$$.

·
Gotta Pay 2 Play =\
583 Posts
Jose, Is it too soon to get a good break down of the pros and cons of your aftercooler kit vs. air to air kit on a twin screw set up??

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Production Update on the Air to Air manifold:

I have been working all summer on clearance issues I found with the Manifold that was provided to me and found a few issues that were not addressed since the manifold appears to have originally been designed on a K24 motor.

Furthermore the original design had no direct support for a fuel rail unless a custom fuel rail mount was used. This did not look appealing nor sustainable and would increase complexity and system costs.
I decided to take longer to produce have it resolved. Redshift was kind enough to provide the assistance to fix the various issues I discovered.

After that, I passed the final re-design process to Andy (CPT kirk) to finish various critical designs changes such as the fuel rail and additional mounting plate options, support, cosmetic, fitment and various concepts we are currently working on.

The final manifold design has been cleared and now in at the Foundry for Mold creation and production soon after.

My findings on air to air have been nothing but incredible. Temperature control is very predictable. Unlike the water systems, temperature recovery is nearly instantaneous and the weight reduction is a very welcome issue.

Using the manifold and positioning the supercharger at a lower center of gravity created much better track feel and the nose did not feel as heavy. I do not have the tools to measure this experience but all I can say is that it was very noticeable change in handling characteristics.

Due to financial restrictions as I have put everything on this project and how far I have to travel for Dyno, I have not been able to afford dyno time to provide power numbers as of this time. The car does run very strong and is more powerful based on how it drives at race events and Autocross events. I am going to try really hard to dyno sometime during October to provide some base numbers.

Since the manifold is modular, I will provide an uncooled standard option for those looking for a base uncooled system and maybe only use Meth injection.

Here are the redesigned Models:

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Send me a pm with pricing and availability too! Before I decide to sell the blower and go turbo!
I've been watching progress since early summer late spring and I can't wait longer!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I hear you. the delay was really annoying but the changes were very critical and needed and would have been bad to produce that way and have to grind things like the water pump housing and deal with other very essential clearances. PM'd

1 - 20 of 80 Posts