Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me and my buddy with his SRT-4 are going to go the track for the time on Wen. Every one street races around here but I aint taking the chance and getting my car hauled away. I am going to be going to LACR in Palmdale California. I have never even been the races let alone race my car. Is there anything special I should know before I go out there. Do I stage? warm up the tires? speed shift? I dont want to look like a dumb a$$. I am so used to driving on the street, should i launch? and if i do, how should i do it? at what RPM? Also any one know anything special about LACR that I should know about before going? Thank for all the help.

·
Registered
865 Posts
yes ur gonna have to stage, if u have stock tires u don't have to warm them up b/c it won't help much. if ur refering to speedshifting as in power shifting, then i wouldn't recommend doing that but u can if u want.
launch at 3500rpms and feather the clutch.
and have fun

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running Kumho V rated tires. I know this probly a dumb question, but I thought that staging was the process of warming the tires, so what exactly do i do for staging? and I heared that people run the heater right before the race. does it really help? thanks

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Once you get to the track you'll understand the staging set up, if not ask one of the track guys and they'll be glad to explain it to you.

You dont have to warm up street tires, just give them one little spin to remove the dirt. Most importantly avoid the water box (you'll understand that when u get there too)

Lower your front tires psi around 25psi to start off with and lower it from there to find a good point. 20psi works with mine. That's just to get you more traction. Dont lower your rear tires though.

staging will be semi tricky the first time, it's hard to say how to stage, before your first run watch how others do it.

For launching that depends on the person and track. I myself launch at 4500rpm, feather the clutch out and once I feel grip dump it and floor that sucker. For shifting best thing and easiest thing to do is just shift as fast as you can.

other things are simple, remove extra weight from the car, put high octane gas in-- 93 works well, dont fill the tank up though. Half a tank works pretty good. etc...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks evilspyder. So you mentioned gas. I live in southern california. and here we only have crappy 91 octane. I havent searched the forum yet but I have a question about Unical 76 Cool Blue 100 octane racing fuel. Can I hurt the car if i run pure 100 ocatne. or should i mix 1:2, 1:3, 1:4 etc.? I have ran half and half before and my car ran great. so should i grab some Cool Blue before I go?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I haven't run 100+ octane in my S yet, I used 105 i believe it was in my old 3000GT and it made a pretty good difference. I've read posts where guys used 100 octane. Sorry i'm not much of a help on that question, but when in doubt you can always mix it a little bit.

I can say this though, I used octane booster a few times and in the end I ended up running slower, but 91 will work good, i've pulled times of under 15 seconds with 89 octane so 91 will be fine.

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
4,163 Posts
I heard that race gas has lead in it that can eventually clog your catylatic converter. I would only use it if you have a race header.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Take out your spare, jack, mats, passenger seat, and other junk. Good for .2ths. Try to go on a half tank gas or less.

Drop your tire pressure too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
mastap said:
Take out your spare, jack, mats, passenger seat, and other junk. Good for .2ths. Try to go on a half tank gas or less.

Drop your tire pressure too.

Good luck!
not really, more likely a 0.02ths gain. Although weight reduction helps you don't have to go through the hassles of taking out your passenger seats. Since it's your first time, just learn the basics. Ask other drivers about the process when getting your car "tech'd" (checked by a technician). It can be intimidating at first but every driver usually will lend a helping hand no matter what car they drive. Here is a simple run through:

1.) your car is initally checked by a technician for the following:
- good tires
- seat belts
- depending on what rims you have, take off the center caps, and make sure you have all the lug nuts in.
- and most other basic stuff that I'm sure you're car is OK with.
- oh and most important, wear shoes, long pants, and if you'll go sub 14's you must have a helmet.

2.) when the above is done, you'll then proceed to the staging lanes where you line up with other cars in different lanes.

3.) once your lane is called up, you'll then proceed to the staging area.

4.) you don't need to warm up street tires. Although burnouts are fun to do (I do it anyway), and it cleans up your tires from unwanted filth. I recommend you drive around the water box, if you drive through, your only gonna get the tech's pissed. they don't want the extra water spread all over.

5.) next, you stage your car in front of what they call the "Christmas Tree". you'll know what that is.

6.) you'll know if your car is staged correctly if there are 2 yellow lights on your side of the "christmas tree" that light up.

7.) once both cars, or sometimes just yourself, are staged properly.. the lights countdown. Usually it's best to anticipate the 3rd light before hand. I usually launch just a split second after the 2nd light lights up.

there you go, just a heads up. I'm not too familiar with RSX's so ask around how you should launch.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Guys thanks for all the advice becuse I just back from the track. The track i went to was LACR in Palmdale California. It is 2,710 above sea level. Closet place to me. I put 200 miles on my car tonight. They say on their web site www.lacr.net that you can do a altitude calculation which is as fallows:

LACR is 2,710 ft. above sea level.
To figure the altitude factor the formula is as follows:
ET: multiply your et (at LACR) by .97
MPH: multiply your mph (at LACR) by 1.03
This will give you the ET & MPH at sea level.

So my best time of the night was

Slip: Calculation:
E/T 15.254 14.796
MPH 91.522 94.268
My best reaction time was .584
So is that good for the for my car with SRS Invidia Exhaust and
Injen Cold Air Intake? I am gonna go and look at all the other thread that have times slips. I had a blast. I got in about 15 runs. My buddy went with his SRT-4 for the fist time tonight. He has stage 1, aem cold air, and mopar blow off plate, and he hit a 14.54. I haven't done the calculations yet myself.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey what up I live in TO. Ive been to LACR, but not in my Type S yet. Yeah, that track messes with your times. My friends 00 vtec 'lude ran 17.xx there. :p

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will you ever go out in your RSX? If you want to we are thinking about going again. From oxnard we have one SRT-4, three eclipes, one RX-7, and a couple of buddies of mine are gonna meet us out there with a Z28 all built up, and an S2000, and maybe a CRX with a LS motor in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts