Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I'm a new owner of what is supposedly a 2002 RSX Type S. It's a beautiful car, very well kept by the previous owner. However, I'm trying to puzzle out some of the modifications he made since I have no record of them.

My car is a manual five speed. As far as I can tell, the Type S was only produced with a six speed manual. I've done a lot of searching on this and haven't seen or heard of another five speed Type S. I checked the engine and it is a K20A2 (or a K20Z1, I'm unsure about which one came in the 2002). It redlines at 7900 and hits the fuel cutoff at 8100, as a K20A2 does. I checked the VIN and it comes back to a Type S six speed vehicle. I read that if it's a Type S, the eighth number in the VIN will be a zero, which checks out on my vehicle. So why is it a five speed? Is it possible to switch the transmission to a five speed? The previous owner put in an open short shifter, would that require a five speed for some reason?

Thanks for any answers. I'm a little worried that I ended up with a base model upgraded to mimic a Type S. If it makes any difference, the car was built for the Canadian market then imported to the US. As far as I can tell, there are minor differences between the Canadian and USA Type S, but the transmission should be the same.

Edit: I am a dumbass. The short shifter uses a stick that shows five speeds and the dealership sold it to me telling me it was a five speed. Turns out it is actually a six speed.

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
this is great, and I am not laughing at you I am laughing with you. Can you please share how many times you where in 5th and wanted to try and shift inot 6th?

Acura RSX Type S 2002-2004 came with the K20a2
Acura RSX Type S 2005-2006 came with the K20z1
Honda Interga Type R (DC5) came with the K20a.

All three share the same head castings PRB-1. 5spd transmissions work well on turbo builds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is great, and I am not laughing at you I am laughing with you. Can you please share how many times you where in 5th and wanted to try and shift inot 6th?

Acura RSX Type S 2002-2004 came with the K20a2
Acura RSX Type S 2005-2006 came with the K20z1
Honda Interga Type R (DC5) came with the K20a.

All three share the same head castings PRB-1. 5spd transmissions work well on turbo builds.
In the past few weeks since I bought the car I took it on two road trips totaling over 2000 miles. I'd say the number of times I was on the interstate and wished I could switch to sixth was in the dozens. But even going 80mph in fifth gear, I still managed to average 30mpg! I am very curious how much better it would have been in sixth.

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
In the past few weeks since I bought the car I took it on two road trips totaling over 2000 miles. I'd say the number of times I was on the interstate and wished I could switch to sixth was in the dozens. But even going 80mph in fifth gear, I still managed to average 30mpg! I am very curious how much better it would have been in sixth.
brother that is crazy. you are a good sport.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not 100% sure, but I think I recall seeing a table of the gear ratios for both the stock 5 & 6-speed trannies (dunno if maybe there were different variations between the ‘02-04 vs 05/06 versions) and the top gear was exactly the same in both; the 6 just packed the extra gear in tighter. So at 80mph on the freeway in my type S I’m still pushing 4000rpms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts