Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
r3d0LpX
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Been dealing with this issue basically since I got the car, and I've always just dealt with it. Now with a new subwoofer rattle, I plan on fixing that and all my issues in one go....

2002 RSX Type S with factory Bose system.

Had a 12" JL Audio W3 sub and Kenwood mono amp from my old boosted Civic that I wanted to put into this car. I'm not good with running wires under carpets, and all that, so I took to Best Buy to have them install. WORST. IDEA. EVER. It took then 2 sessions of 4 hours each, the first time they didn't realize it was a Type-S and had the factory amp (they must have missed Type-S badge and "RSX Type-S" on the paper I filled out for them). Second time, they said I needed to purchase a new deck because the current one that was in there (Alpine something) was not compatible. I have yet to look at exactly what they did, but he mentioned something about needing inputs to the deck for both the Bose amp as well as the Kenwood amp, and the Alpine deck only had one set of inputs.

So I have some Kenwood deck they recommended, except the bluetooth mic never works so hands free is useless. Other than that, everything "works".

However, I need to turn the volume up to 30 to hear it at a comfortable level! It's not even loud at 30. I usually leave it at 32... the highest it can go is 35. Anything under 20 and you can barely even hear it at all! So I have a feeling something isn't right somewhere.

I'm an audio noob when it comes to this stuff, any idea on what I should look for? Can I completely bypass the bose amp? I don't care if the Bose sub under there doesn't work, the JL sub overpowers it anyways.

Thanks!

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
Read the Audio faq's as there is a link there to how to bypass the bose

·
r3d0LpX
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do. I've reset the head unit plenty of times, and have played with settings a bit. Even tried a firmware update... that fixed an issue with it freezing, but not a low volume issue. Settings are set to Loud, etc. I don't know about pre-amp stuff or any of that, so I will take a look and play around with it.

Thanks

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
Without pics and diagrams; it's hard to know what they did. If you can post the specific model number; we may be able to find something.

If the Bose amp is bypassed; then you should have a direct connection from the Kenwood to your speakers. The sub woofer should be connected to a pre-amp sub output (line level instead of speaker level). Sometimes those HU's use the same jacks for switchable output signals. Any diagrams or pictures would help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I keep hearing about this but iv got 2 old sony xplode 12s 1200w xplode amp and the 99$ walmart special touch screen I get some alternator whine after cold starts gets warm it's gone but I cant have the radio on 2 when I pull in at night cuz the neighbors will hear bass and I dont listen to ridiculous amounts of bass but still have bose system sounds great iv been having a issue with the left rear sounds low but ass hole who had it before cut the stock amp out left the sub replaced everything with bs and ran so much wire in that car I could have killed him not to mention gutted the speaker mounts to fit giant cheap speakers so after removing it all I had to remove the system from another type I stopped driving then put it back together amp connection still has those plastic wire twist on caps to connect them so 26 wires I think looks like an orange flower bloomed on the floor in front of the seat iv done enough in the short time but probably bad connection on my end there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.