Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
OG Member
21,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a handful of bugs splats on my front bumper....side mirrors...and front windshield.....what should i do to take it off?...a whole car wash/wax?...wipe it off with water and a rag? or just wash/wax on that area ONLY? what are your secrets for this nasty build up?

·
16 Posts
If you already have a good coat of wax on your car, wash the bugs off using a good microfiber towel. If that doesn't work, use a claybar to get the remainder of the bug guts off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try spraying some quick detailing onto the splats, then wipe off with 100% cotton towel. If that doesn't work, use a paint cleaner or clay bar to remove the splats, then follow with a polish and wax ontop.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Since bugs are bio-degradeable, using a hose to rinse it off would be fine, especially it is fresh. Then follow up with a car shampoo.

S

·
0 Posts
i-VTEC said:
Try spraying some quick detailing onto the splats, then wipe off with 100% cotton towel.
what about terry cloth towel..? Just as good?

M

·
0 Posts
100% cotton is best because it won't scratch your finish. Also, with whatever towel you use, keep the edges/hems/borders away from the car - they will scratch......hmmmm.....maybe it would be smart to just cut em off! "I am so smart - S M R T!"

M

·
0 Posts
Vinegar works very well for removing some surface gunk, especially pine tar. Dab it onto a cloth or a cotton ball and rub gently, letting the vinegar soak the splat/sap/whatever. The rub it off with a clean section of cloth. It'll come off a lot easier in the future if you have a couple of coats of wax on the finish.

--Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Doin a lot of OTR for work.
I ve rewaxed my front end about three times in a month, and i would say it has made all the difference, most of my bugs hose right off, but then of course i end up with hardwater spots on my windshield (but that's another thread)

I will try teh vinegar idea tho. sounds cheap and effective.
thanks.

·
Registered
824 Posts
wet the area with water and let it soak for a few minutes, then take a 100% cotton towel and wipe it off lightly. if it is still hard them wet and let soak some more. the earlier you treat it the easier it is get off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts