Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have info. regarding installation fo foglights on the RSX Type-S? The deal I got on my Type-S was free foglights and wheel locks, but I would have to install the foglights as a DIY project.

-ben

P

·
0 Posts
Go to www.helminc.com and get the manual. As of 7/20/01 it was on back order because they ran out of copies. It's the EXACT same place the dealership gets theirs so you can order it factory direct. You can then find out how the dealership does the EXACT same thing you can.

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
plachert said:
Go to www.helminc.com and get the manual. As of 7/20/01 it was on back order because they ran out of copies. It's the EXACT same place the dealership gets theirs so you can order it factory direct. You can then find out how the dealership does the EXACT same thing you can.
Thanks. I'll pick one up soon. It's a must have for any car. I never got one for my old car and had to call around. It delayed certain installs for hours and days at a time.

-ben

·
Registered
46 Posts
i think its a real pain in the a$$ to do the install on foglights on the rsx. i know it was hard as hell to do the install on the integra foglights at least the way the factory wanted it done

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey rev, keep us posted on how the install went. I didn't get the foglights cause they wanted to charge me 450. I'd much rather do it myself and save the cash. And which Helm manual, specifically, has info on the foglight install? I know they got a few different ones for the rsx.

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dude, trust me $450 at this point sounds worth it. I spent 8 hours on the install and that is with instructions!!! Let's say the part costs $300 and labour at $150. I'd much rather pay a tech $150 to install my fogs at this point than doing it myself. I'm not sure if these things are related, but my wipers no longer return to there original position and the hazard does not work. I'm taking in the car on Monday but i'm not sure if this will be covered under warranty.

Regardless, I did it first off because I didn't want a tech fucking up the install or doing a shoddy job (since it's not there car, they prolly don't take as much care as I would doing the same job), and also I didn't want to pay a penny over MSRP for my car.

In the end, I nicked the bumper in area and there is a very small but noticeable scratch. You have to be at eye level to notice it. There is something inherently cruel in buying a car and the next day taking it apart and cutting it up.

If I were to do it again, it would take me less than half the time, but with DIY projects you often invest lots of time doing these things, only to never do them again. Spend the $150 for labor.

-ben

·
Registered
46 Posts
holy crap 8 hrs, i am more than willing to pay the $150 thanks for the information especially since im not the most mechanically inclined

B

·
0 Posts
I just finished installing them myself... 8 hours was about right...holy pain in the ass man. dash board, center console, front panel, all have to come out. that's only the interior...they were going to charge me 200 bucks, and it's worth every freaking penny man.

unless you want to learn and have the feeling of accomplishment. otherwise, pay for it...it's totally worth it.

my back is still killing me...and oh, if you do it yourself...let me save you a ton of time and potential damage...

when tie wrapping the harness inside the front bumper..do not undo the screws and bolts to peel back the side front fender/ground effects...
when you cut a gaping hole in the front of the bumper for the foglights... if your hands are small enough, you can jam both your hands up through the hole in the front of the bumper there where the fog light is going to go and tie wrap the cables there...

that is the only reason for having to "peel" back the front fenders...so don't do it...just use the existing hole you cut.

if you need anymore tips...just email me, i just did it yesterday, and it's fresh in my mind.

[email protected]

balls

·
Registered
157 Posts
well thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna let the dealer handle the install after all. And btw I think they're only chargin me 100 for the install which is much better than 150. As much as my cheap a$$ would rather save the cash I don't feel like ripping off my dash. One question though...do the foglights come on with the parking lamps on only. If not, the dealer should be able to get this feature to work right?

B

·
0 Posts
if you mean does the foglight have it's own control button, yes... and if you mean that the fog lights come on when you just have the parking lights on, then no they don't. they only come on when the button is depressed (obviously), and when the headlights are on, but turns off when the high beams are on.

B

·
0 Posts
PAY THE MONEY, IT"S WORTH IT!!!!!

I just finished installing my Fog Lights. I did it after work over a 3-day period. Cutting the hole in the bumper and installing the harness under the hood was pretty easy compared to the work that has to be done on the inside of the car. The instructions aren't clear in some parts. You have to take your dash completely apart. Some of clips that hold your dash on are only meant to be used once. When you take your dash apart they can easily break and the foglight kit doesn't come with replacement clips. My steering column cover won't clip back together now. Other than that everything works. I guess I'll have to super-glue it together.

D

·
0 Posts
foglights

Just get PIAAs. I think they would be easier to install and look better for half the price (ebay).

dusty

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Sup all

My friend at the dealer said that its a biatch to install fog lights for our car. They should have the cars pre-wired, but its not. You have to do it from scratch! It's going to take a couple of hours, they say. Man, I don't want to pay that much for lights. I rather spend that money and get something else or wait and collect more money ~ get rims and etc.

If yall got suggestions, let us know. I don't want to do it on my own, but at the same time, I don't want to pay for than $150.00

Lates! Rmmmm...

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
a couple hours is a drop in the bucket, but if you dont know much about electrics, you might run into lots of problems stretching the ordeal out through maybe days.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
i have the front harness in & right you are, do not need to mess with the bumper cover. I will incorporate DRL(shown to lower accidents) on the fogs at same time of doing inside harness with some resistors an an other relay. I get a better feel of the car when I install stuff myself. I have a vac gauge & outside temp also. I grew up with British sports car so it is necessary to tinker with machinery to really appreciate them.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Anyone know how to do the last step in wiring the foglights in the interior? Right now I have two plastic white connectors - one is a 12 pin and the other is a 6. The directions say to wire this to the center console and to unclip the vehicles 12 pin connector and attach one of these connectors onto the vehicle one and slide it back in...im soo lost....anyone in the NE that could give me a hand?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Rsx, did you take the console apart to get under the radio? What page / step ar eyou on? I will look it up tonight. Where do you live?

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Hey guys....I got some questions regarding the fog lights....

Right now, When the headlights are on, I can get the switch to turn red in the middle....

1.At night does the foglight symbol light up? Mine doesnt for some reason...
2.When the headlights are on and I press the fog light button, the red light comes on but yet i cant seem to get power under the hood..I plug the connections into both fogs then i plug the single pin connector into the single connector that was wrapped in blue tape under the washer fluid bottle, and i ground the lights....I cant seem to get them on. what is the problem!

I followed the directions to a tee. I connected the two connectors into the fuse box, connected the open wire to the 16 pin connector right above the steering wheel, i connected the plug into the relay,i connected the plug into the connector that was wrapped in blue tape that was right in front of the fuse box, and i connected the 12 pin and 6 pin connectors with the other 12 and 6 pin connectors located under the stereo. I left one connection open because my car didnt have a cig lighter connection.

Can you please help me? thanks

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
the connector needs to go into the fuse box since it is the source of power for the lamps. If you have the manual trans then there will be nothing plugged in to the harness connector. If auto then the 6 pin you pulled out will go into the harness one.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts