Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Mutt Power
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of picking up a kpro soon for my base 05 and wanted to know what some of you think about my options.

Right now I could pick up a used ecu from an auto parts store for about like 200-250$ for a base 02-03 ecu and use that to for my kpro ecu.

IDK if its worth the risk of getting a bad ecu or any problems with picking up a used ecu really.

So do you all think I should just by my ECU from hondata and pay the extra 250$ ish to not have problems or if there are not many problems with kpro a random used ecu and it will work fine?

I plan on doing this threw Tapp auto in ottawa and having them tune it, I here they have a really good rep with k series tuning.

·
hatin' every ape i see.
1,454 Posts
i'd rather save the $250 and spend it on the tuning. i can't see how solid state electronics can go wrong if it's used.

·
Hello World
6,338 Posts
He could be going boost and thus needs kpro first :laughing:

but the chances are unlikely.

·
Elite
7,105 Posts
Don't think you can Kpro a base 05-06 :dontknow:
i don't see why not. i opted out of the whole Kpro thing once i found out i would get shafted for having an 05+ model but i read up a lot and there is no reason why a premium 5spd cannot be kpro'd. everything under the hood is the same as the 02-04 premium models.

·
Mutt Power
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I can kpro the 05 base, I talked to the people at hondata.

Why? well I have a base with all the bolt on's ect so its the next step.

Boosting is cheaper then swapping and so if in a year or 2 I boost I only have to spend cash on the kit.

Also its not an auto it's still a manual base.

and for the money besides swapping there is nothing I can really do to make my car faster everything else is done really. Might as well do it correctly first.

·
Hello World
6,338 Posts

Boosting is cheaper then swapping and so if in a year or 2 I boost I only have to spend cash on the kit.

and for the money besides swapping there is nothing I can really do to make my car faster everything else is done really. Might as well do it correctly first.
Good plan :thumbsup:

·
Shwafia
3,109 Posts
I plan on doing this threw Tapp auto in ottawa and having them tune it, I here they have a really good rep with k series tuning.
I was under the impression that TAPP auto didn't tune KPros anymore. If you're simply looking for dyno time to tune it yourself, you should also consider KVR Performance.

·
Mutt Power
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't really know if I turst KRV, last time I went there the guys spent 30 mins trying to convince me I could put their jackson supercharger they had for a type-s on my base with no hassel at all.

Then I told the guy I spent all my money for parts on coke and I wasn't going to buy the supercharger....

Idk he he believed me but he stopped trying to sell me the supercharger.

·
The Spanish Cutlet...
3,259 Posts

Add the RBC manifold while you're at it too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Here's my thoughts.....cos I'm planning on doing the same next summer.

There isn't any real harm in buying a used ECU, since it is a part that rarely gets damaged from second hand use.

However if I were to get KPro I would go to Innovative Tuning in Buffalo. From what I've seen, used 02-04' Type-S ecu go for around $300 shipped to Canada. Then I would have to ship out the Ecu to Buffalo.

Or I can pay an extra $175 and have peace of mind, save myself from having to send my ecu out to Buffalo and get it directly to my house.

·
Mutt Power
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I have a local Hondata dealer here, tapp auto, and they will do all the shipping with Hondata so I don't have to worry about it. As for the ECU, www.Car-parts.com has a large Canadian listing of used parts with a large amount of semi-local shops that have ECu's ready to be shipped.

I just wasn't sure how big a deal not having the Key and immobilizer from the ECU would be on an 05 model.

·
Mutt Power
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they are charging me 1145 can for the kpro, they don't tune jdm anymore it seems only euro cars......

Probably check out PSI there a good shop that's owned byt he same guy who owns redline racing or something and they have experience.

I don't know if its worth driving down from ottawa to Toronto let alone buffalo to have my car tuned. As long as I get a decent toon I have a laptop int he car anyway with a 7 inch touch screen that I wanna get setup to play tune and datalog.

·
Mutt Power
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I have an 05 so I need the wiring harness as well which is like 250$ more...

Idk well see how these guys are if not I can at least still order the kpro threw tapp they deal with shipping ecus to the states a lot, if not I can send hardware internationally from work I have all the PO's here for it anyway

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.