Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
2006 mustang GT 5spd
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i talked to keith the other day at jackson racing, and he said running a 3.2" (9psi) pulley is VERY BAD for the supercharger and for your car and could easily destroy both your supercharger and your belt. so, if you want to run 9psi, you need to use the 3.8" pulley and a new hi-boost crank pulley, or chances are you won't be boosting for long.

here's what he told me in the email when i asked if jackson sells a 3.2" pulley themselves:

"We do not. In fact, the way we suggest this be done is to use the JR crank pulley and a 3.8 blower pulley. We actually have a 3.2" blower pulley but one factor which is often left out is once the blower pulley is too small, how does one go about keeping enough pressure against the 4-rib drive belt and not get 'slipping' or fry belts and/or fry the nose bearing inside the supercharger(?) The smaller a blower pulley the less area of contact there is for the drive belt. This is a problem on the conventional system when ONLY the blower pulley is changed (smaller). Sorry for being long winded.

I think a combination of the 989-635 Hi-Boost crank pulley and the 3.8" charger pulley on the [RSX-S] will make between 9 and 10 pounds of boost."

·
2006 mustang GT 5spd
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K20A2_S said:
^^how much would that cost? how hard is the install?
im going to call him now, let you know in a few min.

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
the precaution is all sound and safe.......except sonny's been doing it and beyond and somehow he's still running. but then the physical laws of belt slippage and rotor damage never apply to sonny.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The part number you listed is for the Integra B-series crank. Also, how do you get the 3.8" JR pulley when the one they offer for an upgrade is 3.4"????

·
2006 mustang GT 5spd
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve Lloyd said:
The part number you listed is for the Integra B-series crank. Also, how do you get the 3.8" JR pulley when the one they offer for an upgrade is 3.4"????
the 3.8" pulley is the 5psi street one. and the part number for that crank is the one you need for the rsx-s to run 9psi with the 3.8" pulley...yes i know it's the old integra crank.

·
6,734 Posts
I spoke with Keith about 9psi and beyond. They don't make a 9psi pulley, so therefore, they wouldn't recommend running it. You are not supposed to use nitrous also. I am pushing 11psi and a 50shot, yet, I was told I couldn't. Only because JR hasn't released the combo. They are not making money off the upgrade, so isn't it obvious they won't support it. JR also say that cams are a bad idea. Been fine for me. Again, somehow my car is different.

·
6,734 Posts
Blower pulley sizes.
4.0 = 5psi
3.4 = 7psi
3.2 = 9psi?? I think that is what I have.

Just slap a K24 c/p on and be done with it. 14psi is about the limit you want to spin on these things anyway.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
imyy4u said:
the 3.8" pulley is the 5psi street one. and the part number for that crank is the one you need for the rsx-s to run 9psi with the 3.8" pulley...yes i know it's the old integra crank.
Like Sonny said, the 4.0" is the 5psi pulley. Also, a B-series crank pulley would not fit on the K-series crank.

·
Jurassic Member
4,023 Posts
imyy4u said:
i talked to keith the other day at jackson racing, and he said running a 3.2" (9psi) pulley is VERY BAD for the supercharger and for your car and could easily destroy both your supercharger and your belt. so, if you want to run 9psi, you need to use the 3.8" pulley and a new hi-boost crank pulley, or chances are you won't be boosting for long.

I think a combination of the 989-635 Hi-Boost crank pulley and the 3.8" charger pulley on the [RSX-S] will make between 9 and 10 pounds of boost."
Don't listen to that dude Keith Taber! He's full of shit and know it all... I talked with Eaton and they proved he was full of shit. When I called him on it... did I get a reply.... No, I was banned from Moss Motors! There are countless write up's on the internet about Moss motors and there psycho sales, and warranty tactics..

If you ask me Jackson racings dealings with Moss Motors is going to be their downfall.

:driving:

·
Who's the big winner????
1,246 Posts
Goddamn I hate all this conflicting info BS!!! I am getting ready to run the CTSC with a 3.2" pulley and now this makes me nervous. wdsonny isnt the only person who is running the 3.2 safely is he? I bet pulleyboys would have another view on this matter.

·
2006 mustang GT 5spd
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wdsonny said:
I spoke with Keith about 9psi and beyond. They don't make a 9psi pulley, so therefore, they wouldn't recommend running it. You are not supposed to use nitrous also. I am pushing 11psi and a 50shot, yet, I was told I couldn't. Only because JR hasn't released the combo. They are not making money off the upgrade, so isn't it obvious they won't support it. JR also say that cams are a bad idea. Been fine for me. Again, somehow my car is different.
actually, JR DOES make a 3.2" 9psi pulley, they just haven't started selling it yet. they made it as a possible upgrade while developing their 7psi race edition, but due to a lot of belt slippage from the small pulley size and due to problems with the supercharger nose bearing, they never released it. they did many dyno runs / datalogging on the 3.2" pulley and got a lot more whp than the 7psi 3.4" pulley but were seeing waaaay too many problems that would make releasing it too much of a liability. that's why they only stick with 7psi. (this paragraph is a summary of what keith @JR has told me)

in any case, i understand what you're saying sonny, but according to their testing a 3.2" pulley puts too much stress on the supercharger and causes a lot of belt slippage/breakage. i think i may listen to them and stick with 7psi just for peace of mind. and yes i know you have 11psi, cams, and nitrous, but your car doesn't count because it's not of this universe and is some kind of factory freak.

·
2006 mustang GT 5spd
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
wdsonny said:
Blower pulley sizes.
4.0 = 5psi
3.4 = 7psi
3.2 = 9psi?? I think that is what I have.

Just slap a K24 c/p on and be done with it. 14psi is about the limit you want to spin on these things anyway.
how much does a k24 crank pulley cost, and is it worth it? easy to install?

·
6,734 Posts
New about 80bucks. Used you can get them for about 65-70. My belt is not slipping, I don't know what JR/Keith is talking about. They want to see my and find out why I am not having the problems that everyone else is. I should schedule to go up there this week and show them the proof.

·
Yes, thats my email.
3,212 Posts
Seanwins said:
Goddamn I hate all this conflicting info BS!!! I am getting ready to run the CTSC with a 3.2" pulley and now this makes me nervous. wdsonny isnt the only person who is running the 3.2 safely is he? I bet pulleyboys would have another view on this matter.
A lot of guys run it no problem. Just make sure you keep taps on your fuel management info.

·
Hey Ya
518 Posts
Wouldn't one way to solve the 9psi pulley issue is just to run the 3.4 7psi pulley with the k24 tsx crank pulley for a total of 9psi, if it works that would be great cause you would still have the 3.4 pulley which has a bigger diameter and therefore more contact with the belt.

·
former fastest la rsx!!
2,207 Posts
i'm debating on this issue also....on one hand there's the smaller pulley, which the only way i see possible to be bad is installer error, the belt HAS to be aligned perfectly....and then the k24 crank, which is hard to install, look where you have to put that bitch lol but you still get 9+ pounds of boost...or you could go to the darkside as sonny did and get both for 11 pounds...i would rather go with the smaller pulley and get it installed perfectly, but a k24 crank will work fine as well

·
2006 mustang GT 5spd
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rickrsx said:
Wouldn't one way to solve the 9psi pulley issue is just to run the 3.4 7psi pulley with the k24 tsx crank pulley for a total of 9psi, if it works that would be great cause you would still have the 3.4 pulley which has a bigger diameter and therefore more contact with the belt.
First of all, to answer the person who asked me what size the 9psi pulley, yes, it is the 3.2" diameter one.

Secondly, if you run the 3.4" 7psi pulley along with the k24tsx crank pulley, i think you will probably get >11psi of boost, which is approaching the theoretical (i say this because it probably doesn't apply to sonny's car :thumbsup:) limit of the M62 design. If you're gonna change the crank pulley, don't use the same 3.2" or 3.4" pulleys or you will put too much pressure on your charger and really damage something since it isn't designed for much more than 11psi.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does anyone also realize that one of Hondata's calibrations for JRSC, 650cc injectors and 9-10 psi states that it uses a 3.2 pulley. I will trust Hondata over Keith from JR any day of the week.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts