Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
140 lb-ft of fury
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let's start from the top. About a month and a half ago I completed a clutch/flywheel replacement on my car. All bolts were properly torqued to factory specs and everything was triple checked. The car drove GREAT for a month. 2 weeks ago, I was cruising home at night in 5th gear and it popped out of gear into neutral. I put it back in, cruise for a few moments, and it pops out. I convince myself that perhaps we didn't line up the CAI properly and it was interfering the shift linkage, so the next day I took the battery out and re-aligned the CAI in 5th gear hoping all is well. Magically the car drives perfect for a few more days til it pops out of 5th gear again while I cruise.
Today was the first day I've had time to deal with this. I got under the car after work to try to change the transmission fluid, thinking that perhaps I don't have enough fluid in it or something, hoping that that was the cause of the issue. This is how much fluid came out...

After being stunned, confused, and frustrated, I inspected the transmission top to bottom. I found this 1 cm semi-circle hole next to the flywheel cover...I started pondering if fluid even runs on that side of the transmission. Apparently it gets splashed over there pretty good. I filled the transmission up with 1.8 qts of fluid, drove around the block, parked the car, got it up on jackstands, and looked at it underneath. Fluid was dripping slowly out of that hole, and dripping out of where the intermediate shaft was plugged into the transmission.

(Photo with flywheel aluminum cover removed. Hole can be fully accessed).
The only theory I have for how the hole was punctured and originated is due to road debris. The transmission was carefully handled during the clutch job and was never dropped or placed on the ground carelessly. Hell, if this hole was there when we were placing the transmission back in, I would have noticed it. As for the intermediate shaft, it looked like it wasn't sitting correctly in the transmission. The top of it was plugged in properly, but the bottom facing the ground was poking out about 1/8 - 1/4 an inch. I would have noticed that it did not sit properly when I performed the clutch job. It does not make sense how it would not sit properly as the intermediate shaft is held into the transmission via the 3-bolt mount to the engine block. Thus, I can conclude that the seal is likely worn where it won't sit properly.

Any other theories or suggestions. I'm pretty torn at this point on what is going to happen, my friend seems pretty pessimistic about the hole being able to become welded shut. I'm going to run to Honda tomorrow morning before work to order a new intermediate shaft seal and run around to weld-shops in the area that deal with autos and see if they have any suggestions or if they would weld the hole shut for me. I am uber frustrated at this point and if no one will resolve this issue for me then I'm going to JB weld it shut.

·
140 lb-ft of fury
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Then why was fluid dripping out of it? Or maybe it was dripping from the intermediate shaft and flowed down there and made it seem like it was dripping from there? I'd have to re-check it tomorrow... I was 100% sure I watched fluid drip out of that hole.
Anyone else validate that the hole is supposed to be there? Thanks redxrsx-s

·
140 lb-ft of fury
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess perhaps the hole is supposed to be there. I can see a little nub in this picture from a clutch install courtesy of customdc5.net

·
140 lb-ft of fury
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man! Guess I just need to worry about a new seal for the axle then. +rep
Me being paranoid I guess...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
no problem, and i think you are right its probably the seal that needs to be replaced

·
140 lb-ft of fury
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Upon further research, if the hole leaks then the rear main seal is worn and leaking. Meaning I'd remove everything that I just did for the clutch job again. Fuck my life.

·
Registered
703 Posts
yup looks like the input shaft seal on the trans that went. that hole is here so if there is a leak it doesnt trash your clutch. You didnt noticed any new oil stains on your driveway?

·
Orlando's Outkast
2,419 Posts
yup looks like the input shaft seal on the trans that went. that hole is here so if there is a leak it doesnt trash your clutch. You didnt noticed any new oil stains on your driveway?
I was gonna say the same thing... GL with the Fix.

·
140 lb-ft of fury
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope I never noticed any new oil stains at all, it may have leaked out at work or girlfriend's house or something since those parking areas are on dark asphault. Got on my knees today smelled the oil stains that my car dripped throughout the day. Both stains that came out of the axle and the hole near the flywheel cover smell nothing like motor oil, but more likely more as transmission fluid. I am 90% certain that my input shaft seal is out.
I am too fed up with this that I will actually have a shop touch my car (I've never had a shop do anything to my car, I've done all its work). A friend of mine owns a local shop and will take it apart and replace the seals for $350. Seems like a good enough deal to me so it won't be my problem.

·
140 lb-ft of fury
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In order to completely verify that it is not the input main shaft seal, owner of a local shop and I put in some fluid dye to the motor oil. When I take the car in next week, they'll run a black light on the leak to see if it is motor oil or not. Regardless, I'll have the rear main seal replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So let's start from the top. About a month and a half ago I completed a clutch/flywheel replacement on my car. All bolts were properly torqued to factory specs and everything was triple checked. The car drove GREAT for a month. 2 weeks ago, I was cruising home at night in 5th gear and it popped out of gear into neutral. I put it back in, cruise for a few moments, and it pops out. I convince myself that perhaps we didn't line up the CAI properly and it was interfering the shift linkage, so the next day I took the battery out and re-aligned the CAI in 5th gear hoping all is well. Magically the car drives perfect for a few more days til it pops out of 5th gear again while I cruise.
Today was the first day I've had time to deal with this. I got under the car after work to try to change the transmission fluid, thinking that perhaps I don't have enough fluid in it or something, hoping that that was the cause of the issue. This is how much fluid came out...

After being stunned, confused, and frustrated, I inspected the transmission top to bottom. I found this 1 cm semi-circle hole next to the flywheel cover...I started pondering if fluid even runs on that side of the transmission. Apparently it gets splashed over there pretty good. I filled the transmission up with 1.8 qts of fluid, drove around the block, parked the car, got it up on jackstands, and looked at it underneath. Fluid was dripping slowly out of that hole, and dripping out of where the intermediate shaft was plugged into the transmission.

The only theory I have for how the hole was punctured and originated is due to road debris. The transmission was carefully handled during the clutch job and was never dropped or placed on the ground carelessly. Hell, if this hole was there when we were placing the transmission back in, I would have noticed it. As for the intermediate shaft, it looked like it wasn't sitting correctly in the transmission. The top of it was plugged in properly, but the bottom facing the ground was poking out about 1/8 - 1/4 an inch. I would have noticed that it did not sit properly when I performed the clutch job. It does not make sense how it would not sit properly as the intermediate shaft is held into the transmission via the 3-bolt mount to the engine block. Thus, I can conclude that the seal is likely worn where it won't sit properly.

Any other theories or suggestions. I'm pretty torn at this point on what is going to happen, my friend seems pretty pessimistic about the hole being able to become welded shut. I'm going to run to Honda tomorrow morning before work to order a new intermediate shaft seal and run around to weld-shops in the area that deal with autos and see if they have any suggestions or if they would weld the hole shut for me. I am uber frustrated at this point and if no one will resolve this issue for me then I'm going to JB weld it shut.
I believe mine is doing the same mine is leaking from the top of the trans I have a automatic

·
Registered
7 Posts

U have a pic of it where it was leaking

1 - 16 of 16 Posts