Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Silicon Valley RSXster
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oops, forgot to include the model and year of my car......2004 RSX

For the past year or so, it seems like I'm changing headlight bulbs too often.

I just replaced the driver side halogen headlight bulb mid-October.

I know I replaced that bulb sometime within the last year...

Beginning of August 2012, I replaced the passenger side bulb.

Beginning of March 2011 replaced the passenger side bulb.

Does this frequency of changing bulbs sound OK or is it too often?

Thank!

·
It's just Teflon...
977 Posts
Are you sure your buying the correct wattage bulb

·
Registered
257 Posts
What Brand and Type of Bulb?

I had that problem with Sylvania Silverstar in my Civic. They were bright, but I replaced them every year until I got tired of it and went back to standard bulbs. You won't see me paying premium prices for those junk anymore!

·
Silicon Valley RSXster
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure your buying the correct wattage bulb
Good point.....thanks!

I've been buying them at a local auto parts store....each time, a guy at counter asks me year, make, and model of car and then directs to the bulb to buy.....

Just pulled out last receipt.....says 12V 55W H1 T3-1/2 P14.5S....

Prior receipt shows G-E H1-55

I had that problem with Sylvania Silverstar in my Civic. They were bright, but I replaced them every year until I got tired of it and went back to standard bulbs. You won't see me paying premium prices for those junk anymore!
That's good to know...thanks!

·
gripping the road
2 Posts
My 03 type s did the same thing. I was changing bulbs like every month, I was getting mad buying every brand possible from cheapest to most expensive. Kept doing it, so I went and got 6k hid kit for $80 and have NEVER had a problem since. Maybe think of going with an hid kit and stop the bulb popping for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a new bulb to replace a recently replaced bulb too. The guy at the counter was telling me to make sure not to touch the actual bulb since it will make it burn out quicker. Makes sense since oils will attach to the bulb and make it hotter and quicker to burn up. I just replaced it without touching the actual bulb so let's see if he was right.

·
Silicon Valley RSXster
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 03 type s did the same thing. I was changing bulbs like every month, I was getting mad buying every brand possible from cheapest to most expensive. Kept doing it, so I went and got 6k hid kit for $80 and have NEVER had a problem since. Maybe think of going with an hid kit and stop the bulb popping for me.
Interesting idea....never heard of this.....it would probably take a few years to break even on the hid kit compared to replacing 1 or 2 bulbs a year....but would save a lot of aggravation....

I just bought a new bulb to replace a recently replaced bulb too. The guy at the counter was telling me to make sure not to touch the actual bulb since it will make it burn out quicker. Makes sense since oils will attach to the bulb and make it hotter and quicker to burn up. I just replaced it without touching the actual bulb so let's see if he was right.
Yes, you never want to touch the glass part of any halogen bulb, for car or home, etc....but that has not been an issue for me as I was aware of this....

So, from what I'm hearing, it sounds like these little bulbs just burn out fairly frequently...ie, just the nature of the beast I guess....

Oh well.......

·
Registered
183 Posts
I usually get the H1 by Sylvania I think its like 6-8$ really nothing major.

I trust them because maybe every year or so Ill need to go and replace them. Bright and very useful on NJ/NY dark roads.

FYI dont bother buying HID or anything other than locally supplied bulbs it will cost you in the long run. Just replace it and its taken care of....Going through HID manufacturer warranties is useless when you can get a headlight ticket literally in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm having that problem with my fog lights. I took the HIDs out and put regular bulbs in and just noticed that my driver side is out again. I think most of the time its the same side.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I wonder if this could be tied to the vibrations from aftermarket motor mounts breaking the filaments in the bulbs?
Doubt it. If the bulbs can survive the shipping process from China (or wherever they come from) to your local Pep Boys, a little extra vibration won't hurt them.

·
Silicon Valley RSXster
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bright Idea!

Hmmmm.............been interesting to see that I'm not alone in replacing bulbs fairly often....

Makes me realize that if this is happening to the small number of us posting on this thread, just think how many other people out there are replacing bulbs often as well....

Think I need to go buy stock in some bulb companies!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hmmmm.............been interesting to see that I'm not alone in replacing bulbs fairly often....

Makes me realize that if this is happening to the small number of us posting on this thread, just think how many other people out there are replacing bulbs often as well....

Think I need to go buy stock in some bulb companies!

:rolleyes:
OEM bulbs are built to last longer than off-the shelf replacement bulbs, which is why most DIYers (who would never buy a headlight bulb from the dealer) find themselves replacing them once a year, or more. It's not supernatural.

·
Silicon Valley RSXster
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OEM bulbs are built to last longer than off-the shelf replacement bulbs, which is why most DIYers (who would never buy a headlight bulb from the dealer) find themselves replacing them once a year, or more. It's not supernatural.
That's good to know, Seamus.....thanks!

Although, as you say, most DIYers buy aftermarket parts, so, that should be good news for 3rd party bulb stocks!....

:D

·
498 Posts
alternator could be playing up and overcharging the system (voltage too high or spikes between low and high), or your battery could be on its way out. Headlights are usually the first to pick up on stuff like that.
If you have a multimeter handy, check the voltage at the battery with both the car on (14volts ish) and off (12.5v ish). Then while the car is running bring the revs up to about 2k rpm and check again, should NEVER be past 15v.

Also with globes, cheapies and the high output globes dont last as long as OEM replacement globes. try the phillips or osram standard globes, nothing flash in terms of light output but they work.

·
Silicon Valley RSXster
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alternator could be playing up and overcharging the system (voltage too high or spikes between low and high), or your battery could be on its way out. Headlights are usually the first to pick up on stuff like that.
If you have a multimeter handy, check the voltage at the battery with both the car on (14volts ish) and off (12.5v ish). Then while the car is running bring the revs up to about 2k rpm and check again, should NEVER be past 15v.

Also with globes, cheapies and the high output globes dont last as long as OEM replacement globes. try the phillips or osram standard globes, nothing flash in terms of light output but they work.
Great input, Sikboy...thanks!

Interesting that you mention the battery....might be an issue as my '04 RSX has original battery I think...(have to check that...)...

Coincidentally, last weekend, I needed to get a jump to start the car.

Was sitting in car for about 1/2 hour or so with radio on and didn't realize that I had left lights on. When I tried to start car, it wouldn't start, so, got someone to jump it....was a bit surprised that this happened after what I thought was a relatively short amount of time....

Car has been fine (ie, starts up OK...) since, but will check out battery as you suggest....

Also, good input about the bulbs....guess I'll get bulbs from dealer from now on....and see how long they last....

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts