Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 97 Accent. She has a brand new starter, torque converter, flywheel, flexplate, and a new battery. Today it is turning over, but not firing up. Would you think that this is a result of faulty (flooded/dirty) plugs & wires, or something else?

It is a 97 2 door automatic, 1.5 liter 16 valve DOHC. Please help!

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
Even with bad plugs/wires, it should still at least sputter a bit.

Go after spark and fuel, since air and compression aren't likely a problem.

Does that car still use a distributor?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input. No distributor on this model. I am going to check it out after work and see if it's the plugs. Do you think that when they replaced all of the starting components, something might have happened to the timing belt? The timing belt was replaced a couple years back, but it may need to be set.

I guess it has done this before where it kept turning over and wouldn't start. Then she tried an hour later and it started. Any ideas?

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
Does it do it only when warm? Or will it do it first thing in the morning.

A bad cam/crank position sensor can cause what you are describing.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does it first thing in the morning. I suppose it could be just about anything. I guess I will start with plugs, then see what happens. If not, I will tow it to a shop with my trusty Civic LOL!

·
Hi there
696 Posts
First thing that popped into my head, especially with what has been done to the car is maybe you unplugged or bumped the crank position sensor and that it throwing the timing out of wack. i dont know much about hyundais so yeah

1 - 9 of 9 Posts