Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the old one out and the new one mounted. I had to remove the upper knuckle to strut bolt to let the ball joint swing in far enough to get into the control arm. now I cant get the knuckle rotated back up to put the upper bolt back in. ive used a prybar, tried a strap. seems the cv axle is keeping the knuckle from rotating up, Iike the inner cv joint has come apart. the axle didn't come out of the transmission. the inner boot is stretched but still together. putting the car in neutral and spinning the rotor, the entire axle rotates. if I try to jack the assembly up, it wants to push outward farther. not sure if I have to now bust the outer axle bolt loose and try to get it separated from the knuckle or what. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FUCKKKKKKK!!! I was afraid of that! yeah I just checked and there is play under the inner boot when I rotate it. how am I gonna get the inner axle shaft out of the transmission if the cv joint is shot? do I need to drain some of the trans fluid so it doesn't make a mess? thanks btw

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
auto 04, base, leather. in the process of getting the knuckle and stuff apart. appreciate the timely response. ill probably just order a new cv axle. tough lesson learned. will be more careful when I do the pass side. FML

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another lil fun fact. since I didn't break the outer axle nut loose, looks like im going to have to try and get the axle out with the spindle. I cant put the tire back on and lower the car because of the tilt of the spindle. my impact doesn't have enough ass to break the nut loose. goddamn it!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I usually have someone to stand on the brake pedal while I jump on the breaker bar. Make sure you tap out the dent that is in the axle nut, or it will never come off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
appreciate it. yeah, knocked the dent out as much as I could. got the lower ball joint out and got the upper knuckle bolt back in. as of right now im tired of fucking with it. should have been an easy job but I fucked up and roached the inner cv joint. im so fucking pissed. I just ordered 125$ worth of parts that need replacing anyway. thanks ppl for the input and advice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nope, guts popped out of the inner cv joint. everything is out and awaiting new parts. new cv axle, ball joints, sway bar links and motor mounts. should be a lot quieter soon. thanks again all!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I live and never learn. Forgot to plug in the Alt on my sons Saturn--thought it was OK as the Bat light was now off--so I though fixed. Should have checked voltage. -15 windchill, had to yank the car up on ramps to get underneath, jump started and it was fine. Don't bet I won't forget that again despite my fingers ice cold pain. A reason I don't do this for a living. Can you hear me now "Sorry, man, I forgot to install your brakes, but that's ok, as I forgot to install your motor as well."

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so in my haste to put the car back together, I didn't get the inner CV shaft to lock into the transmission. on my way to return ball joint tool, the axle popped out of the trans and left me stranded. got the car home and am taking apart to attempt to reinstall the inner CV axle. the car was running when the axle popped out and leaked some fluid. did I damage the trans by this happening? its a cardone axle from rock auto. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the car was loaded on a flatbed and pushed into driveway in this condition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts