Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to put in a kill switch for the fuel pump which is the best spot to cut the wire under the seat or at the fuse under the kick pannel which one would be easier

·
Engineering
25,578 Posts
you will have more room to work with at the fuel pump itself under the seat, but you will need longer wires than if you just did it at the fuse box.

·
Super Moderator
23,895 Posts
just splice the power wire and put it two a simple two way switch and keep it close. I kept my tucked under the back seat where I can reach it.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I've tried this and I've cut the yellow/balck wire and it made my gas gauge go to to empty. So be careful.also be aware you have to use the same type of wire or else it won't work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do u mean the same gauge wire or the same exact wire .. so if the black and yellow didnt work whats the other wire u used

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put a kill switch on the black/yellow wire from the PGM-FI relay in passanger kick panel and I get the "Check fuel cap" message now on the dash display. The kill switch is actually a latching relay hooked up to an Aux autput of the alarm so the wire length added to the circuit is less than 1 ft.
The black/yellow wire was kinda beefy, gauge looked small but it had lots of actual wire diameter.. the wire I used for the switch splice was not the exact same type, looked the same gauge but it had thicker insulation and less actual wire diameter than the black/yellow wire.
Could this wire difference be the problem? Or did this message get triggered when I tested the switch and killed the fuel supply? Will it go away after a while or do you think I should redo the switch connections with the same exact type of wire? Car runs great it's just annoying to see the message there.

Also like dude asked, is there another better wire to cut than this PGM-FI black/yellow wire? The fuel pump is easy to rig and get going if the thief is quick and knows what he's doing..

05 rsx

·
Former 240sx GURU
809 Posts
i wouldnt bother with this as antitheft...
better the car is stolen then deal with a smashed window and fucked up intier from a pissed of car jacker... and ill admit myself.. i had one and never used it...
just one more cut wire that can fuck up IMHO

·
Registered
14 Posts
flipping a switch all the time is ridiculous, i dont plan on doing that..
when its jacked, if your silent alarm sends you a text message and if you could activate this kill switch from anywhere using your phone and get the location of your car too.. then at least you get to go on a little hunting expedition, haha
and I sure hope Ill never get to use it either,
putting real 16 awg wire to see if the check fuel cap message goes away, i think theres some voltage drop there and the pump is not running full power causing this

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok I put heavy gauge wire, slightly thicker than the cut wire. the message is not going away but is that normal? if the ECU runs the EVAP test and everything is ok then the message should go away.. if the EVAP test runs and it fails again then the check engine light would come on.. the check engine light hasnt come on either tho, does anyone know how often the ECU runs this EVAP test?

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
u do know that the engine won't even start without the proper key with the immobilizer chip inside, right?

unless yer scared of the thief having cloned your immobilizer.

·
Sidemarker Mechanic
47,417 Posts
u do know that the engine won't even start without the proper key with the immobilizer chip inside, right?

unless yer scared of the thief having cloned your immobilizer.
To steal a car is one thing but I can tell you what I did when a customer left his car at my shop and he forgot to leave his key (he went home to Las Vegas). I swapped out steering column with a spare that I had laying around (which has the key) and I had my k-pro set with immobilizer disabled. It took me 45 minutes to swap including all the wiring from the headlights and air bags and etc.

If someone who wants to use the shortest amoung of time to get in to your car and actually drive off with it, 3 minutes top. 30 seconds to pop the passenger cover and pop the 3 plugs out of the stock ecu and put it in to an immobilizer disabled k-pro, take some type of tool to pop out the key hole and use a key to start the car... :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
the check fuel cap message finally went away.. I guess it takes about 6 weeks for the ecu to run whatever self tests and figure out everything is ok. I kept cycling the odometer display everytime I got in my car to hide the message and make the mileage show but since yesterday the odometer shows the mileage like it should.. no messages

·
Registered
42 Posts
Im going to do this as i would prefer the car to be damaged than robbed as insurance will only pay for a standard bad conditoin replacement car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts