Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Sorry, if I'm naive as I'm not much of a car person. I'm new to this forum page but I have been looking everywhere to try and figure this issue out.

Background:
I currently own a 2002 Acura RSX Type-S with 206,000 miles on it. This car has had 6 previous owners in the past and I get it from a buddy of mine who sold it to me in March of 2019. He had no issues with what I am dealing with so this seems to be new. Anyways, from the looks of it, the car was engine swapped at some point so there isn't an actual Type-S engine in there. Instead, it could be just a normal K20. I had no issues for the first few months when it came to driving. Around August 2019 was when I began noticing some issues. I saw the CEL come on and scanned some codes (P0336, P0505, and P0134 - I got a new O2 Sensor installed so it cleared out most of it).

What has happened:
After a few months, I was driving it right outside my neighborhood when suddenly the car died on me. The RPMs dropped to 0 and the car would not respond to me pressing on the gas. Luckily I managed to pull into my neighborhood and had no clue what happened. Took it to a mechanic my dad knows and after some time he finds out that it was a burnt fuse, the fuel pump relay was the reason for it dying. I drive it off the shop and don't think twice of it, no issues happen until later. Then 6 months later in February of 2020, the SAME thing happens and my car dies on the road. I try starting the car but it just cranks and cranks. I immediately knew what the issue was but I was struck as to why it would happen again. This would, again, happen six months later... in November of 2020. As I said I was driving and was in about maybe third gear. Suddenly my RPMs dipped to 0 and I saw the oil light come on. The car wouldn’t respond to any movement and the power steering wasn’t working either. Everything else worked fine inside. The radio was on, and the A/C was blowing air but I noticed it wasn’t cold air (which it was set to). It’s like the electronics itself worked but when I turned the key in the ignition it was cranking but not starting. I get it towed to my usual mechanic spot and after a few days, they said they couldn't find a diagnosis as to why the fuse blows; it's too infrequent.

Now I am here trying to figure out the underlying issue as to why three fuses have burnt in such a short amount of time. The only code I still have is P0336, which I have a means of looking into. My mechanic told me it was something I shouldn't worry about but could this be a possible reason as to why this fuse keeps blowing? I really can't think of anything causing this issue. I'm looking to take it to another mechanic to get it looked at for a second opinion but honestly, I'm too paranoid it will happen when I'm on the road again. I'm not much of a car person either so doing my own work is practically out of the question. If I can't find any solution to this I'm thinking of selling the car as is because I feel as if this will just add up with cash going nowhere. Any input or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
not very much faster than an FRS
121 Posts
It's probably a short in the fuel pump electrical system. I believe it's the black and yellow wire which runs from the ecu through the center console and under the rear seats. You'd have to pull apart your interior to check it. It's not terribly difficult, I've taken all the carpet and interior trim out a couple of times before for other reasons.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello,
Sorry, if I'm naive as I'm not much of a car person. I'm new to this forum page but I have been looking everywhere to try and figure this issue out.

Background:
I currently own a 2002 Acura RSX Type-S with 206,000 miles on it. This car has had 6 previous owners in the past and I get it from a buddy of mine who sold it to me in March of 2019. He had no issues with what I am dealing with so this seems to be new. Anyways, from the looks of it, the car was engine swapped at some point so there isn't an actual Type-S engine in there. Instead, it could be just a normal K20. I had no issues for the first few months when it came to driving. Around August 2019 was when I began noticing some issues. I saw the CEL come on and scanned some codes (P0336, P0505, and P0134 - I got a new O2 Sensor installed so it cleared out most of it).

What has happened:
After a few months, I was driving it right outside my neighborhood when suddenly the car died on me. The RPMs dropped to 0 and the car would not respond to me pressing on the gas. Luckily I managed to pull into my neighborhood and had no clue what happened. Took it to a mechanic my dad knows and after some time he finds out that it was a burnt fuse, the fuel pump relay was the reason for it dying. I drive it off the shop and don't think twice of it, no issues happen until later. Then 6 months later in February of 2020, the SAME thing happens and my car dies on the road. I try starting the car but it just cranks and cranks. I immediately knew what the issue was but I was struck as to why it would happen again. This would, again, happen six months later... in November of 2020. As I said I was driving and was in about maybe third gear. Suddenly my RPMs dipped to 0 and I saw the oil light come on. The car wouldn’t respond to any movement and the power steering wasn’t working either. Everything else worked fine inside. The radio was on, and the A/C was blowing air but I noticed it wasn’t cold air (which it was set to). It’s like the electronics itself worked but when I turned the key in the ignition it was cranking but not starting. I get it towed to my usual mechanic spot and after a few days, they said they couldn't find a diagnosis as to why the fuse blows; it's too infrequent.

Now I am here trying to figure out the underlying issue as to why three fuses have burnt in such a short amount of time. The only code I still have is P0336, which I have a means of looking into. My mechanic told me it was something I shouldn't worry about but could this be a possible reason as to why this fuse keeps blowing? I really can't think of anything causing this issue. I'm looking to take it to another mechanic to get it looked at for a second opinion but honestly, I'm too paranoid it will happen when I'm on the road again. I'm not much of a car person either so doing my own work is practically out of the question. If I can't find any solution to this I'm thinking of selling the car as is because I feel as if this will just add up with cash going nowhere. Any input or advice is appreciated.
I once had the same thing happen to me. My car died out as I was slowing down to a stop(engine turned off, only accessories were on). I proceeded to try to start it but it struggled a lot before it did. Like cranked 30 times with foot on and off the gas before it started. I never had this problem after that (was a few months ago) but I imagine that the cause is the same for both of us. If you figure it out please post it here. I should add that my car is an original type S with the original engine and tranny, so the issue may be unrelated to the fact the motor may have been replaced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts