Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 619 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hey, this is the suspension moderator over at 7thgencivic.com. I know I dont have a rsx but our suspensions are almost identicle and I know a few people here were interested in them so here's my review....

When I heard these were out I knew I had to get them. It comes with tokico shocks, 3 locknuts(opposed to 2) and upper mounts all for only $650 shipped from www.***********.com. The main thing that separates this from teins, b&g or kw is the 3 locknuts.

Advantage of 3 locknuts: You know how most coilovers, lower you go worse the ride. Well that’s because with coilovers such as tein, you adjust the spring perch(the thing the spring sits on) to lower the car. When you lower the car 2" with tein's your basically compressing the shock 2" all the time, which puts added stress on it. With the hayames you’re not adjusting the perch but the actual length of the strut. This allows the shock to retain full stroke and gives you the same ride at 2" as you would at stock height.

Top Mount: This allows ease of installation. Basically just take out the old struts and put in the hayames. No need to worry about compressing the springs, what parts you need from the stock struts, whether your 01 needs new mounts, etc... It just makes installation a breeze.

Also when receiving the coilovers I saw something I didn’t see in the pictures. There isn’t a camber plate BUT they made the hole for the top bolt wider so that you can adjust the camber that way without using a (front) camber kit.

Another thing is they have 'spring isolators'. People with teins or b&g sometimes complain about clanking noises. The spring isolators eliminate the noises often found with coilovers.

There are so many little details hayame paid attention to. It may not have damper adjustability but it has all these other features that the $1200 coilovers don’t have. All for $650, you can’t beat it... Best bang for buck hands down.

Ok so I finally got the fronts on. Right now i have the fronts at 2.25" and the rear at 2.5"(basically exactly the same as neuspeed race). Drove my car to work(the roads are really badd and I practically memorized the streets so it put them to the test) and I have to say they ride really nice. There's a couple places where I cringe going 15mph but with the hayames I can take them at 35mph without having to. The rear is slightly softer than what i'm used to but i'm sure adjusting the preload on the springs will fix that(just raise the perch up to compress the springs more). I'll probably play with that tonight if I can and will probably drop it down so that I tuck in a week(cause my dad has to use my car on thursday). I should probably be going down to a 2.5-3" drop eventually with my 18s. Oh and best of all NO MORE BOTTOMING OUT!!!

I highly recommend getting them from Michael at www.***********.com. Great service and awesome to work with. Fast shipping too, got them 2 days after he received my payment.

·
Need Sleep
3,523 Posts
Awesome writeup. Can you take pics of the top of the hat so I know how much room I have for suspension adjustment?

OT: Want me to say I to michelle for you? Oh, and we're engaged now, if you haven't heard.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good review, this is Inturder from 7thgen.

I too am looking at these coilovers as a replacement since I don't trust my rear koni's anymore. How are the spring rates compared to Neuspeed Race? Significant body roll or no? Any acceleration squat or diving during braking?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Can you take pics of the top of the hat so I know how much room I have for suspension adjustment?"
what kind of suspension adjustment? i would take a pic but they're already on my car. only pic i can get you is where its on my car. there are quite a few posted on the 7thgencivic.com website(i think they were posted here as well tho)

spring rate.. it seems softer than race. more comparable to neuspeed sports. havnt noticed significant body roll. i took a corner real fast and it didnt lean too much. also this one 25mph turn i took at 40-45 and it didnt lean much there as well either. Hell i even got on top of my trunk and started bouncing it but it probably moved 1" the most and it hardly bounced.

·
Need Sleep
3,523 Posts
I just wanted to see how big the hole was for camber adjust

·
Need Sleep
3,523 Posts
Cool beans. Espically since I'm probably not going to lower any more then 1.5"

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Konis vs Hayames is kinda comparing apples to oranges.
Koni's are only shocks so it also depends on what springs your using.
-Koni + spring/coilovers = $700-850.
-They are only inserts and most people dont know how to install them so another $100 or so.
-They are still full length so if you like your car slammed you still have problems with bottoming out
-You do have damper adjustability tho.

IMO the best bang for buck is hayames. Its all a matter of how much you really want to pay for damper adjustment. To me it wasnt a necessity. My car stock didnt have one so I was fine with it.

·
Registered
926 Posts
what is the coilover made out of?
would you say the ride is almost like stock?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Sounds like a lot of coilover for the money. So you're saying these Hayames are preload and suspension travel independent? That alone is worth the $650.

As far as adjusting preload to make the rears stiffer, if the springs used in this kit are linear race type springs, adjusting preload does nothing but compresses the spring further and place you closer to coil bind. A linear spring has the same spring rate through out it's motion from coild bind to spring free length.

Since these are suspension travel and ride height adjustable, with your ride height right now, how much suspension travel do you have dialed in? A 2.25" front and 2.5" rear drop is pretty agressive for both the DC5 and EP3 chassis.

Did hayame by any chance relocate the strut arm to reduce bumpsteer or reduce the awkward angle the tie rods are at when these cars are lowered?

Other then not being damper adjustable, these coilovers sound really nice. If i was looking for a basic setup, i would much rather pick up a set of Hayames then Tein Basics. It seems you get a lot more for your money with this setup. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I too think the Hayames offer great features for an amazing price. For an enthusiast who just wants improved street handling and a lowered CG, while retaining ride quality, these would be perfect!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
INTEGRA, Sorry not sure what the coilover is made of. Not sure if its almost like stock because of my low pro tires and I never driven my car with stock suspension and rims so hard to say. I still feel most of the little cracks on the road but I dont feel the dips as much.

SunBurn721, I was comparing them to the neuspeed race. I HAD the sports, had ground controls and had the race right before the install. It feels softer than the race and more comparable to the sports. Its A LOT stiffer than ground controls tho.

sjracer, I have an EM2 but ya same difference. EM2, EP3, DC5 same suspension. I still have a lot of suspension travel left. Before i used to bottom out all the time with ground controls. And at certain spots i used to bottom out with the neuspeed race as well. With the hayames I have yet to bottom out. I'll probably drop it down to 2.5-3.0 without bottoming out even. This is something you wont be able to do with coilovers such as teins or probably even konis. Not sure if hayames sole purpose was to reduce bumpsteer but YES the tie rods arent angled as much anymore. I tried taking pictures of it with my digital camera. I'll try downloading them tonight, hopefully they came out right. With the neuspeed race you can see that the tie rods are up really high but with the hayames they are much lower and closer to stock.

bhcvc, thanks for clearing that up. Ya thats what I was trying to do. The springs are linear and so there's no actual way of changing the spring rates but I was trying to just put more pressure on the springs. Kinda tricking the springs into thinking its carrying a heavier load when it actually isnt and thusmaking it stiffer. Well atleast that was my theory. Best thing was to try it and so I did and it seems to have worked slightly.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Great write up. Guess Hayame aint that bad afterall. Never said they were Mugen, but for 650 this is a great deal. I love the Hayame exhaust and I think I might make the leap and get a set of these. Could you PM me the website where you picked these bad boys up. Good looking out!

thanks,

Mack

1 - 20 of 619 Posts