Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i recently purchased and installed a brand new set of function form type 2 coilovers, everything worked out well until i figured out i had Alot of front end wheel play when i tried to get an alignment, i brought it to (currys auto) a local performance shop and they told me that the oem outer tie rods do not fit properly in the function form mount and is quote "sloping around", and suggested i by a sleeve or a tighter fitting tie rod has anyone know anything about this if so what should i buy? when i took the car home i jacked it up and it looks to me as shaft play the damper itself seems to me moving not the tie rod as the tech was telling me. if anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated also the play did not happen with my previous suspension and i have called function form numerous times but they are not responding.
http://s952.photobucket.com/albums/ae9/mtcieri/?action=view&current=h.mp4

·
2005 RSX type s
342 Posts
hmm,...

I just got my F&F type 2 installed and nothing wrong with the Tie rod end.

I believe your shop do not know how to deal with this coilover, make sure your front top F&F 2 are lock in place otherwise they will be moving, I am referring to the top of the coilover toe adjustment.

Also, if you are having or hearing noises from your back coilover after installment, make sure you add a washer within the bolt pattern to re-enforce, I did that and no noise from the rear at all. My F&F 2 are not making any type of noise or other weird movement per your description.

good luck

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info this problem is really frustrating. i talked to function form and they have agreed to send me 2 new front coilovers. i will still really like to know what is causing this issue they couldnt even really provide me with an answer.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
hmm,...

I just got my F&F type 2 installed and nothing wrong with the Tie rod end.

I believe your shop do not know how to deal with this coilover, make sure your front top F&F 2 are lock in place otherwise they will be moving, I am referring to the top of the coilover toe adjustment.
Also, if you are having or hearing noises from your back coilover after installment, make sure you add a washer within the bolt pattern to re-enforce, I did that and no noise from the rear at all. My F&F 2 are not making any type of noise or other weird movement per your description.

good luck
are you talking about the 6 lil bolts at the top on the top hat?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think he was referring to the camber plate, my are all tightened up though so thats not were the play is coming from

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
i think he was referring to the camber plate, my are all tightened up though so thats not were the play is coming from
i had play in the top hat cus i tightened it while all the weight was pushing it down. so i took of the coils and adjust them properly and my play went away now i just have clunking cus my te is off and need an alignment.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont think it is the camber plates. does you top hats look like these, im thinking that the gold ring needs to be tightened down more?

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
i took the coil out and tightened it by hand and also put suspension lube on the top rubber bushings and my noise is gone.no more loud popping noise :)
1. i put lube on were the bushing sits, didnt mean to get some on the threads

2. i put the rubber on and i put some on top were the top hat sits, i did the same for the gold ring with the bushing i dont have pics of it. if you try to tighten the gold ring with the bushings the bushings get stuck so i put some lube on it and it was easier to lock the gold ring down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same issue... Installed the coilovers yesterday and everything was fine. On my way home tonight every time I turn it's making a clunking noise ... So I stopped and popped hood and see that the gold ring on my driver side is about to come off completely . I guess tomorrow ill take it apart and tighten the gold ring.

I just hope I didnt mess up anything and I can tighten it tomorrow . But why does it come loss just like that to some of us???

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
idk these coilovers dont seem to have the best quality. im putting in my new fronts tmmrw hopefully that takes care of the issue but not the right rear is making a terrible squeaking noise. its just one problem right after another.

·
Registered
51 Posts
idk these coilovers dont seem to have the best quality. im putting in my new fronts tmmrw hopefully that takes care of the issue but not the right rear is making a terrible squeaking noise. its just one problem right after another.

Did you fix the clunking problem by tightening that gold ring , or went out completely ... Because same thing happened to me last night and im about to go and take it apart and see if I can tighten it .

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you fix the clunking problem by tightening that gold ring , or went out completely ... Because same thing happened to me last night and im about to go and take it apart and see if I can tighten it .
i never attempted to try n fix the noise i have it but my main issue was wheel play because im unable to get a proper alignment done. i talked to function form and they just sent me two new front coils so im just going to replace the entire things tonight and hope that takes care of my front end issues.

·
Registered
51 Posts
look at clea3two3 post he said tightening the gold ring eliminated the popping noise

Yeah I seen that... Did the same thing today to mine but havent had the time to test drive it . I will tomorrow , and lets see whats gonna happen.

Also I have talked to the f&f guys , they said if it keeps coming loose again , they will replace it with a new one :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts